5 3.4%

9 6.2%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

gigi_copp3

We often talk about the Spanish fans who are noisy about their songs but I see the same sometimes illogical love, when talking about the Big 5, from Germany and the UK. French fans are like that too but they have a more snobbish, falsely detached approach. Italians usually do well but every year they suffer from an "encirclement crisis". If you say to an Italian "I think I heard an Fa" you will be scolded "No! It's an Fa#". There is no malice but a free annual masterclass on musical composition (even if we were students at the national music conservatory).

I'm happy to see the British enthusiastic and in love but... we saw the same for Mae Muller. Last year there was such a deafening outcry that it was believed that "a star had been born". I think Olly is a more solid artist, the package is more solid and the song is more solid but... I think it's not objective. To finish in the Top 10 (possible but extremely difficult) Olly must bring a Ouja board onto the stage and ask the spirits of the great artists of the past to grant him their strength. This package is mid-table, if properly executed. If Olly shows some mistakes it is a bottom 5 risk. Let's not deny it. I recommend more balance because it could be the typical LOTL or La Zarra which had a lot of hope and then surprisingly fell.
Nah, Germans are always disappointed by their entries

Rocket man

We often talk about the Spanish fans who are noisy about their songs but I see the same sometimes illogical love, when talking about the Big 5, from Germany and the UK. French fans are like that too but they have a more snobbish, falsely detached approach. Italians usually do well but every year they suffer from an "encirclement crisis". If you say to an Italian "I think I heard an Fa" you will be scolded "No! It's an Fa#". There is no malice but a free annual masterclass on musical composition (even if we were students at the national music conservatory).

I'm happy to see the British enthusiastic and in love but... we saw the same for Mae Muller. Last year there was such a deafening outcry that it was believed that "a star had been born". I think Olly is a more solid artist, the package is more solid and the song is more solid but... I think it's not objective. To finish in the Top 10 (possible but extremely difficult) Olly must bring a Ouja board onto the stage and ask the spirits of the great artists of the past to grant him their strength. This package is mid-table, if properly executed. If Olly shows some mistakes it is a bottom 5 risk. Let's not deny it. I recommend more balance because it could be the typical LOTL or La Zarra which had a lot of hope and then surprisingly fell.
Nah not me. I hated our entry last year. She was crap, she couldn't sing or dance, and she doesn't have a record deal anymore. Not a surprise.
Olly Alexander can sing and dance, he's been the lead singer of a successful band, he's had a No 1 song and album in the UK. Olly has a clear vision and a creative brain, the UK has a genuine artist with a radio-friendly song that has huge potential for staging. These kindof "mid" comments remind me of when Sam Ryder and "Spaceman," and I knew people were wrong then and I think they are wrong now.

HarryUK

Veteran

I don’t think you can say that when the UK thread last year went into crisis when Mae Muller was announced. She never had any real support by UK fans which was a shame because the song was great in the studio cut, but didn’t deliver live.

Jupiter

For now, it's a :7: for me. It does have Pet Shop Boys vibes (which is a good thing) and I'm very happy Olly isn't changing his style up. The song is an easy and enjoyable listen, nothing to unique or revolutionary, and it misses a climax for me. But it's on my playlist bcs I like the feel of it.

It's biggest plus is IMO that it will lend itself well to a great staging (and I expect my rating to go up for that). Olly has charisma, he can sing and dance, and he said the song was written with the performance in mind. Fingers crossed!

Paco Roca

Nah, Germans are always disappointed by their entries
If Ryk had won they would have believed in something more like what happened with LOTL or Malik Harris. Isaak unfortunately has some "Embers" vibes. Lately the level of the songs in their NF is not defensible. He can't even commit to screaming at a guilty pleasure. Their complaining is the result of a great love, perhaps the greatest in Europe. Do you know the phrase that sees hate as a consequence of bad love? 😁

Paco Roca

Nah not me. I hated our entry last year. She was crap, she couldn't sing or dance, and she doesn't have a record deal anymore. Not a surprise.
Olly Alexander can sing and dance, he's been the lead singer of a successful band, he's had a No 1 song and album in the UK. Olly has a clear vision and a creative brain, the UK has a genuine artist with a radio-friendly song that has huge potential for staging. These kindof "mid" comments remind me of when Sam Ryder and "Spaceman," and I knew people were wrong then and I think they are wrong now.
Sam Ryder wasn't average for me. He had winning vibes. He followed the path of Gjon's Tears a bit.

Olly is a good competitor but, let's be honest, he has to work hard to stand out because he is not as strong as many say. We still have to wait for the staging to be able to express ourselves enthusiastically about him.

Paco Roca

I don’t think you can say that when the UK thread last year went into crisis when Mae Muller was announced. She never had any real support by UK fans which was a shame because the song was great in the studio cut, but didn’t deliver live.
Mae had a good product in the studio but she was terrible live. James Newman wasn't bad either. Olly is the same. He now plays more or less well but he has to prove on stage whether "Dizzy" works. For me it is respectfully still a halfway product.

LivingOrganism

There we go, the UK released their song and once again the whole fandom is outraged. Let me just go out and say it - Dizzy is a good song. Let's also not forget that Olly Alexander is a very experienced stage performer, so there's a guarantee that the staging is bound to be good. Dizzy kind of reminds me of Flowers (from Miley Cyrus), which is definitely not a bad thing. Yeah, it's not what we expected, but who cares. I have a feeling Olly is going to pull a Sam Ryder in May and we'll all be left surprised. Remember, that a casual esc televoter is not a fanatic like us. If Belgium somehow managed to get 7th place last year, I can't imagine Olly not getting at least the top 10.

nudiecrudi

2 points.
That's what we didn't need
Another generic pop song without character and soul.
Too much rumor for nothing.
One of the weakest male options in this esc

mauve

Veteran
Guys, please, we need to be a bit realistic. It’s ok you love the song but those who are saying that this is going to win, how come? I would be more worried about how is he going to manage not to be in the bottom 5 once again…
I think so too, but maybe Olly can elevate the song by the performance. But I doubt that this will be in the top 10. This is not a bad entry in my eyes, but still a disappointment.

PlasticToad

. It's not my thing. If someone like MNEK was the vocalist I would have ascended.
The idea of MNEK in Eurovision is too much to bear. He'd be perfect, and I can totally see what you mean here. What could have been...

The highlight of Dizzy to me is by FAR the production. I don't really care about what Olly's singing when Danny L Harle's lush work is reaching my ears. I think this could be a real dark horse with juries who tend to care about that kind of thing, while the televote... maybe Olly can get some recognition votes? I don't have the highest hopes.

Datura

I actually like it, but i dont think its special enough to be a winner - they might need a sensational staging to make it really exciting. But who knows. Atm i'd say really good but not truly great. Hoping for a good result for the uk anyway

Top Bottom