11 8.5%

13 10.0%

10 7.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

martin

The EBU should act like they did with Belarus. If he's really part of the NF and wins, his song must be free from obvious political messages. He can't hide behind tropes of watermelons either...
I could live with another collaboration but overall, it's a very cheeky move to provoke the EBU or Israel whilst calling for a boycott and that's something I didn't expect from a Nordic broadcaster preceeding to be morally superior to others.

Anyway, I can't wait for the announcement of the participants.

But it's really difficult to cope with Iceland being the one who's constantly brining politics into Eurovision this season whilst the one most fans are concerned about, isn't doing so (apart from the first season when we saw two uniforms... something which wasn't an issue when Ukraine or Switzerland or Russia did).
I,m not surpriced at all. A lot of people in Nordic strongly disliked Israel and the case between Israel and Palestina. A lot of people trying to Push NRK to to do the same. The big difference is that Iceland is a small country and it is easier to get more supports to do something like this in Iceland than Norway. NRK have a least saying they are neutral and don,t want to get a political standpoint.

The nordic country loves to the be world peacemaker and show that we know better than anyone else. People here getting much more news about the conflict and people are really mad about Israel. Let,s be sure of one thing. If Iceland send a singer from Palestina. The Norwegian people going to give 90% sure 12 points or a least 10 points.

DirtyFalcon

I wouldn't says its a done deal at all. The Ukraine 2022 situation and this are very different. He'd still have to get a high jury score. This is the song being rumored by some to be competing with. Only rumors at this point. I'm guessing there is an Icelandic version with a cover artist because Bashar doesn't speak Icelandic and you are required to sing in that language in the semifinals.

Ok let's see then. I think many people that wants a fair contest hope this is the situation you described. If Eurovision really wants to adress this issue with Palestine, I think inviting him as an interval act during the grand final by SVT instead of being a contestant would make more sense. With this potential decision, you could then still adress the issue there without rigging the main competition. Juries would vote for him in Eurovision the same way they did with Kalush Orchestra in 2022 or at least enough to allow him to win. Televote will most likely follow.

Ajeje Brazorf

If I have a suspect this Is going to be a political win, I wouldn't follow Eurovision this year. I will skip It, toatally. And I know for sure a lot of people around Europe will do the same... We didn't know if It Is a participant and what the song Is going to be about. I will compare his song with the others If choosed and use nothing else to judge. Hope the majority will do the same.

0scar

Okay my two cents considering Nafas as possible entry for Söngvakeppnin: it's a great song, and honestly would do great in the contest on its own politics aside, and would definitely support it if it was representing, well.. Palestine in Eurovision.

The thing is, I don't feel comfortable with it being chosen bij RUV to participate in Söngvakeppnin. That feels politically driven, to choose a Palestinian artist to participate during these times, whatever what side in this conflict is the "right" one. I know he has collaborated with Hatari but what has he to do with Iceland?

As I said I'm lost at how I should feel about his participation and just feel like this is going to be messy

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Idk, picking a Palestinian act via a democratic vote and THEN participating in Eurovision is a much stronger signal to give than "waaa waaa waa israel is there waaaa". Eurovision is always bound to be a bit political and the idea of a completely apolitical eurovision went out of the window when the idiot in the pink bucket hat shouted "MARIUPOL AZOFSTAL" and wasn't immediately DQ'd on the spot.

The IDEAL is of course that Israel swallow their pride and realize "ya this is perhaps not the time" and withdraw for 2024 specifically. (which I want because it makes the contest better overall). But if they want to be there, well, that's it. It's Israel's prerogative to choose to take part if they are allowed to take part.

If you allow another country to pick a Palestinian act however, you're representing both sides really, and this would be an acceptable (but not ideal) compromise to showcase neutrality in the conflict. But it would ofc also come at the cost of the fandom being more toxic than usual as they can actually pick sides in the conflict via the televote now. 🤷

rasmuslights

Veteran
I know ppl are focused on politics and all but... I love this song 🙊
The eerie vibe it has, the music box in the background, it's sooo good. With good staging this would be a worthy winner for me.

It's decent and I also really like it. But without the context, people would be worried about it qualifying let alone winning.

SpiritofKeiino

I don't have a problem with foreigners representing a nation, i do have a problem with timing.
Not cool, Iceland, not cool. :rolleyes:
My feeling also. It feels like he's being parachuted in for political reasons.

I've no objection in principle to a non Icelandic citizen or resident representing Iceland, but I would at least like there to be an icelandic songwriter.

I also don't like the way he seems to have been announced first before other acts, AND also RUV putting winner under pressure with this 'may pull out' thing. If the winner does want to go they'll then get backlash for it

SpiritofKeiino

It might not be obvious to the casual viewer that he's Palestinian. Commentators may mention it but will it resonate? I'm not convinced.

Is it a sure thing that he wins the Icelandic NF? I'm not familiar with the voting system. There may be sympathy for Palestine, but is that enough? Icelanders may be peeved with the stunt. And also in a very small country, would a televote favour a local act?

ag89

Okay my two cents considering Nafas as possible entry for Söngvakeppnin: it's a great song, and honestly would do great in the contest on its own politics aside, and would definitely support it if it was representing, well.. Palestine in Eurovision.

The thing is, I don't feel comfortable with it being chosen bij RUV to participate in Söngvakeppnin. That feels politically driven, to choose a Palestinian artist to participate during these times, whatever what side in this conflict is the "right" one. I know he has collaborated with Hatari but what has he to do with Iceland?

As I said I'm lost at how I should feel about his participation and just feel like this is going to be messy
In 2006 Switzerland was represented by random singers from 5-6 countries.
Cyprus regularly chooses singers who are not from Cyprus.
In 2018 a Ukrainian singer represented Belarus.
In 2020 (COVID) Sweden sent an act where singer could not even speak Swedish. Etc.

On the other hand, we have had so many politically driven entries in Eurovision. Some of them did really well. Some of them also won. Eurovision survived all of it. So, what is exactly problematic with a (potential) song from Iceland sung by a Palestinian singer? It is too political? What exactly? Him being a Palestinian?

I understand we, Euro fans, want a great Eurovision, full of happiness and love among countries. But, also, we should not ignore current political situation in the world - and one of the fires burning is called the Middle East ie Israel/Palestine. Why are we still surprised these events affect Eurovision?

jatojo

I actually think the opposite. The broadcaster mainly got pushed into this position because artists and songwriters were vocal about their stances. Now should the winner of the NF still decide to go, they would get a looot of scorn and pushback from their peers and I don't think anyone would really want that.
A relevant point. Still, what we saw before Qatar, was a big discussion, and yet at the end, the critical nations participated, after vague promises that they would do everything they could to point out how big a problem the lack of human rights was.

Mainshow

Veteran
In 2006 Switzerland was represented by random singers from 5-6 countries.
Cyprus regularly chooses singers who are not from Cyprus.
In 2018 a Ukrainian singer represented Belarus.
In 2020 (COVID) Sweden sent an act where singer could not even speak Swedish. Etc.

These artists haven't been chosen to follow some sort of political agenda narrative, though.

It's totally fine to include artists from different countries but timing is crucial.
Also, the combination of letting an artist from Palestine compete without living or residing in Iceland or being signed to an Icelandic label whilst threatening to withdraw because of Israel is the reason why RUV is perceived as causing a commotion in this ESC/NF season.
Also, performers have to perform in Icelandic in the semi finals (that's a rule). Are RUV about ot make an exception to the rules just to provoke?

Bashar Murad, though, is incredibly talented and I wouldn't mind seeing him in Eurovision at some point but I guess him representing Israel (he went to a very prestigious art school in Tel Aviv), a future Palestine or as an interval act - overall, he lives in Jerusalem.
He has protested ESC 2019. If he really takes part in Söngvakeppnin, he will clearly highly protest Israel in May - either on stage or making Iceland withdraw before-hand.

Remembrance

I don't see why the Icelandic broadcaster should put up with this, honestly.
If they really are in so dire straits about this, or feel their hands are being forced, they really should just withdraw.

We don't need EVEN more political division in this contest.
So far, I don't see Israel make a fuss.

SpiritofKeiino

These artists haven't been chosen to follow some sort of political agenda narrative, though.

It's totally fine to include artists from different countries but timing is crucial.
Also, the combination of letting an artist from Palestine compete without living or residing in Iceland or being signed to an Icelandic label whilst threatening to withdraw because of Israel is the reason why RUV is perceived as causing a commotion in this ESC/NF season.
Also, performers have to perform in Icelandic in the semi finals (that's a rule). Are RUV about ot make an exception to the rules just to provoke?

Bashar Murad, though, is incredibly talented and I wouldn't mind seeing him in Eurovision at some point but I guess him representing Israel (he went to a very prestigious art school in Tel Aviv), a future Palestine or as an interval act - overall, he lives in Jerusalem.
He has protested ESC 2019. If he really takes part in Söngvakeppnin, he will clearly highly protest Israel in May - either on stage or making Iceland withdraw before-hand.
I agree. This entry appears to have nothing to do with Iceland. As far as we know, neither songwriter nor performer nor song has any connection to Iceland. Not even residents. And yes with the timing and the announcement it feels like he's been parachuted in for political reasons.

Is the head of delegation in RUV a strong Palestine activist or something? It all feels very deliberate.

BTW I despise what Israel is doing in Palestine.

rasmuslights

Veteran
I agree. This entry appears to have nothing to do with Iceland. As far as we know, neither songwriter nor performer nor song has any connection to Iceland. Not even residents. And yes with the timing and the announcement it feels like he's been parachuted in for political reasons.

Is the head of delegation in RUV a strong Palestine activist or something? It all feels very deliberate.

BTW I despise what Israel is doing in Palestine.

I feel the same way. :/

Top Bottom