10 7.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator

flag-800.png

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
It's RUV pushing the buck from themselves to the artist. If I was an Icelandic singer wanting to enter i'd probably give this year a miss and wait for next year because this feels so messy tbh.

Mainshow

Veteran
RUV should scrap a NF whose winner might put :is: participation in danger.

Just choose an artist internally (if you can find someone willing to participate in a competition in which Israel takes part & if the contestant doesn't mind facing some sort of backlash from Icelandic hardcore fans and artists).
Maybe an Icelandic artist living abroad might do the trick?

Mainshow

Veteran
The article mentions that "2,5% of the whole population" signed the petition to boycott the contest because of Israel.

While that's already an impressive number, another one is even more impressive: 95,3% of Icelandic people watching TV on that Saturday night regurlarly watch the Eurovision Song Contest (viewing share).

Even if 2,5% or more don't want to watch Eurovision this year, I think that the viewing share would still be impressive for Iceland and therefore, RUV will attempt to convince artists to go to Malmö.

Also, Iceland didn't boycott FIFA World Cups in Qatar and Russia and they even sent Yohanna to Moscow back in 2009 even though Russia was responsible for displacing more than 200,000 civilians just very few months ahead of that contest.

Thus, I think that :is: will take part in the end (unless the war in Gaza/Israel escalates even further).

Last edited:

njdevils94

Veteran
The statement felt quite cryptic to me. I interpreted it as the winning artist gets to decide ultimately if they go to Malmo or not but no doubt RUV will behind the scenes putting pressure on them to withdraw.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I mean, why even take part in the NF if you don't want to go to Eurovision? they've seperated it now but it's still the end goal. I get there is domestic fame to be had, but Iceland is a very tiny market, so...

HarryUK

Veteran
I feel like a likely scenario that’s happened is that several acts have tried to withdraw from the national final and they’ve now basically separated it and given them the option to say no to Eurovision, but in turn Iceland then wouldn’t be represented at all if the winner says no… covering all bases essentially

b4ld3r

I feel like a likely scenario that’s happened is that several acts have tried to withdraw from the national final and they’ve now basically separated it and given them the option to say no to Eurovision, but in turn Iceland then wouldn’t be represented at all if the winner says no… covering all bases essentially
You hit the nail on the head there, I think. Anxious public broadcaster trying to de-escalate the situation while not necessarily taking any explicit "political" stance.
With such a small population there are very few degrees of separation between everyone, especially in a specific field like music. It will be very interesting to see who they have managed to find that are willing to compete despite the circumstances. Interesting to note that Iceland's HOD is part of the EBU Reference Group.

Topically, Hatari has a new line-up, but have yet to release any music featuring it.

Last edited:

empo21

Veteran
It's RUV pushing the buck from themselves to the artist.
Spot on.

I appreciate Iceland acknowledging the atrocities that are happening, but it would've been better if the broadcaster had the final say like 2 months ago.

Now there's too much spotlight on the Icelandic artist regarding their stance (more than other countries' reps) and they'll get much more online hate than the rest no matter what they decide.

Mainshow

Veteran
According to Eurovisionfun, Bashar Murad a singer from Palestina takes part in Söngvakeppnin.
Bashar had collaborated with Hatari and performed in Iceland before.

HarryUK

Veteran
According to Eurovisionfun, Bashar Murad a singer from Palestina takes part in Söngvakeppnin.
Bashar had collaborated with Hatari and performed in Iceland before.

I was going to say he's collaborated with Hatari! I actually love that song as well.

He'd obviously say no to competing should he win, which would be disappointing as his message would probably fall on deaf ears and not on 200m TV screens

Mainshow

Veteran
If it's true, I think it's quite "ironic" that Icelandic fans and artists want to boycott Eurovision because of Israel claiming Israel would whitewash their image and use Eurovision as some sort of propaganda tool but at the same time, a singer from Palestine takes part in the Icelandic National Final without being an Icelandic citizen or resident (or at least being signed by an Icelandic record company).

Tbh, it's really disappointing that the Icelandic broadcaster behaves that way (if that's really true).

I could have understood their decision if they had pulled out a few weeks or months ago but now it's just completely messy, kinda ironic and slightly overdramatic (letting the winner decide knowing that it's way too much pressure on them).

Seriously, they should either internally choose someone willing to take part or just withdraw at this point.

That's even more drama than what's going on with :ro: right now.

MopManMoss

Veteran
I loved his collaboration with Hatari I used to play it app the time when I was at uni which I'm sure annoyed my flatmates, that being said what business does he have trying to represent Iceland?

njdevils94

Veteran
If it's true, I think it's quite "ironic" that Icelandic fans and artists want to boycott Eurovision because of Israel claiming Israel would whitewash their image and use Eurovision as some sort of propaganda tool but at the same time, a singer from Palestine takes part in the Icelandic National Final without being an Icelandic citizen or resident (or at least being signed by an Icelandic record company).

Tbh, it's really disappointing that the Icelandic broadcaster behaves that way (if that's really true).

I could have understood their decision if they had pulled out a few weeks or months ago but now it's just completely messy, kinda ironic and slightly overdramatic (letting the winner decide knowing that it's way too much pressure on them).

Seriously, they should either internally choose someone willing to take part or just withdraw at this point.

That's even more drama than what's going on with :ro: right now.
You put it very well. This is a stunt trying to get some attention. From what I read he is a hardcore anti-Idrael activist that has no connection to the Icelandic music industry outside the collaboration with Hatari. At this point I doubt anyone else in the selection has a chance to go or would agree go to Eurovision so basically this is a disguised internal selection at this point.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Wasn't the DDL for their NF quite a long while back? It's either a massive coincidence hes in it or they've put him in last minute and then posted an article about him taking part right before they announce the whole line up. All to (probably) gain a pity votes at Eurovision. It's feels super disingenuous and driven by the wrong motives. Then in March we'll get Israels propaganda entry announced. It's all going to be so messy and unnecessary.

DirtyFalcon

Well we know the winner of Eurovision 2024 then if he's confirmed. Just look at the odds already. We don't even know his song and the competition and they are already going crazy. Pity votes will work in his favor like in 2022 with Kalush Orchestra and it doesn't even matter if the song is amazing or bad. I won't even watch this NF because it's already pointless. They will not succeed in making us believe (at least myself certainly will not) that they will withdraw if they are in a position to win the whole thing.

I am very supportive of what is happening in Palestine but I would like Eurovision to remain a musical competition and not an event where political propaganda (no matter if she's good propaganda or not) dictates the result. I'm soo fed up with this permanent hijacking of Eurovision by political propaganda. This will further harm the credibility of my beloved contest and gives right arguments for people who love shittalk about Eurovision without knowing that much of the contest. We must talk absolutely about the situation in Palestine and show support to the people there who are suffering but Eurovision should definitely not be the platform for that. It is already being talked about all over the world in all the media (and rightly so).

2 questions now : First is the question now is who will be the next Sam Ryder ? second : Will he beat Kalush Orchestra number of points ? It remain to be seen. I know some people won't like this message or misinterpret it but it's my rant and it's annoying to have to repeat that every two years. Now if we only speak about music, Bashar Murad seems really talented and i like his music but they won't make us believe he has been choosed only for this reason, especially in those times. I hope he has got at least a very strong or even winning material song (and not fully propaganda oriented, even if it's in favor of Palestine) at least so music will be rewarded but if that's not the good but still win, then well ..

I feel like i will be disappointed by Iceland broadcaster this year.

Last edited:

njdevils94

Veteran
Well we know the winner of Eurovision 2024 then if he's confirmed. Just look at the odds already. We don't even know his song and the competition and they are already going crazy. Pity votes will work in his favor like in 2022 with Kalush Orchestra and it doesn't even matter if the song is amazing or bad. I won't even watch this NF because it's already pointless. They will not succeed in making us believe (at least myself certainly will not) that they will withdraw if they are in a position to win the whole thing.

I am very supportive of what is happening in Palestine but I would like Eurovision to remain a musical competition and not an event where political propaganda (no matter if she's good propaganda or not) dictates the result. I'm soo fed up with this permanent hijacking of Eurovision by political propaganda. This will further harm the credibility of my beloved contest and gives right arguments for people who love shittalk about Eurovision without knowing that much of the contest. We must talk absolutely about the situation in Palestine and show support to the people there who are suffering but Eurovision should definitely not be the platform for that. It is already being talked about all over the world in all the media (and rightly so).
I wouldn't says its a done deal at all. The Ukraine 2022 situation and this are very different. He'd still have to get a high jury score. This is the song being rumored by some to be competing with. Only rumors at this point. I'm guessing there is an Icelandic version with a cover artist because Bashar doesn't speak Icelandic and you are required to sing in that language in the semifinals.

b4ld3r

The fact that he's allowed to compete probably means that it's a largely (or at the very least partly) Icelandic-run operation. He is talented enough to theoretically win without any ""sympathy"" votes during a normal year imo, I think the only question is if the Icelandic people voting are behind him (and a song potentially entirely in Arabic) or not.

I have no clue of what will happen in the potential aftermath of winning the selection though. Will the EBU immediately ban Iceland? We of course don't know how "explicit" his song and/or performance will be, and (of course very different scenario) they did let Hatari through previously.
How severely will Kan react? If they aren't able to convince the EBU to ban him, would they still be interested in participating and sharing stage, giving airtime to his performance, etc? How would other broadcasters react, especially from countries that are strong allies to Israel, like Germany or Ukraine as an example?

If he decides to go to Malmö, it will 100% ensure that the war and the question of Israel's participation dominates all coverage of the contest, which of course is the goal. How the EBU handles his participation would be under constant scrutiny, from people supporting either side of the conflict. 2022's contest will be invoked a lot.

The alternative approach for him after a potential victory would be to decline the offer to compete in ESC, but then still appear on the ground in Malmö and perform at/be involved with the inevitable protests.

Very uncomfortable to speculate about any of this, needless to say the whole situation is just really morbid and sad.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
The EBU should act like they did with Belarus. If he's really part of the NF and wins, his song must be free from obvious political messages. He can't hide behind tropes of watermelons either...
I could live with another collaboration but overall, it's a very cheeky move to provoke the EBU or Israel whilst calling for a boycott and that's something I didn't expect from a Nordic broadcaster predenting to be morally superior to others.

Anyway, I can't wait for the announcement of the participants.

But it's really difficult to cope with Iceland being the one who's constantly bringing politics into Eurovision this season whilst the one most fans are concerned about, isn't doing so (apart from the first show when we saw two uniforms... something which wasn't an issue when Ukraine or Switzerland or Russia did).

Last edited:
Top Bottom