(We used to be the rockstars)
(We used to be the rockstars)

Remembering gets so hard
When time is moving so fast
Wish there was a way to know that we're in
The good old days before we all just leave 'em​

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerocalcare

and the ARD didn’t want to host the ESC that year because they were sore losers.
And now we‘re stuck with the NDR who are promising, like every year, we will of course take a deeper look on what went wrong, take this very seriously and will have a completely different selection process next year…

Yeah, as if. I think we already had all kinds of selections so the only thing we can do right now is asking some Swede to write the song and searching for an international The Voice candidate to sing the song for us… :ROFLMAO:
It only takes a few things to allow Germany to be competitive:
  1. Create a music selection format and work on that without changing it every time.
  2. Give space to other musical genres and don't believe only in radio-friendly songs.
  3. Try singing in German. If the Netherlands or the Slavic countries do it why can't Germany do it?
Avoid ending up like Malta, San Marino and other nations that rely on foreign songwriters. So you will finally kill all your hopes and become the largest satellite country. You must having your own identity and not borrowing it from others. It is as if you were not using your mines and buying what you already have from others. Take a good look at your home that the artists are there and trust them! Take a risk and if you finish last once again you will have done so by experimenting and being courageous and not stagnating in a system where only failure is proven.

mauve

Veteran
Oh please not these guys again :lol: :lol:
Oh please yes! EC for ESC 2023!!! Today I read an article where the writer made a good comparison: he said ESC IS NOT about mainstream music but like a Fashion catwalk for music where fashionable conspicuousness is the keyword. Malik's song is for daily music, but unfortunately too inconspicuous for ESC. We need something like EC to return better in the future!

Looren

Veteran
Oh please yes! EC for ESC 2023!!! Today I read an article where the writer made a good comparison: he said ESC IS NOT about mainstream music but like a Fashion catwalk for music where fashionable conspicuousness is the keyword. Malik's song is for daily music, but unfortunately too inconspicuous for ESC. We need something like EC to return better in the future!

HOW DARE U !

MALIK'S SONG IS PURE WONDER 😡

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I strongly disliked "Pump It" tbh but well, if they can get you a nice result so why not mdr

Deleted member 12761

Yeah, I don't want them either. Not because I don't like their music but it's not a long term solution to our problems. After 2023 we're back again with the NDR searching for candidates. They need to find a format and stick to it. They need so solve their issues. I'm so jealous of countries like Estonia, Sweden, Spain, Italy etc. They have great delegations, amazing selections that even international fans watch and the fans there have something to be excited about every year. I wish we had that.

midnightsun

Veteran
I think our main problem is that the ESC is connected to a broadcaster (NDR) that is part of the ARD, which is subject to public law and known to be very conservative.

As the ARD is our main broadcaster here in Germany it seemed logical in the past they were responsible for everything concerning the Song Contest, because until the 90s only a few households were able to receive the privat channels that were coming up.

But now, since basically everyone in Germany is able to receive the private channels too, it would be good to include them. Only problem are the TV license fees that every German inhabitant has to pay which are used to finance the ESC. The fees are not paid for the private channels, of course, so a collaboration of both the public and biggest private channels would be better.

It already worked a few times when Stefan Raab was involved, who worked for one of our biggest private channels. The thing is, I never thought Stefan Raab wrote particularly good songs or did a good job finding the right candidate. It was more or less random and in some cases good promo work we were most successful with his entries, that’s my opinion, and like Ralph Siegel‘s time ended in the 90s, Stefan Raab‘s time ended long ago. His songs are as boring as the songs we‘ve been sending since and I don’t think he would do a better job.

We need someone courageous. People have to get rid of the thought that a last place in ESC will ruin their career. Even the last places have their views/listeners and more than an unknown upcoming artist would ever get when he is about to begin his career on the usual way. Being able to perform on ESC is some of the biggest possibilities an artist will ever get. It’s lots and lots of promo, no matter the outcome.

We need someone charismatic who is able to cope with the pressure and has a lot of self-confidence. Malik was that someone, unlike all participants we‘ve had before the last decade. He just had the wrong song. He should come back with another, more daring song next year.

As much as I love EC, their time in Eurovision is over, there is too much that is contradicting, imo. It would not be a good idea to let them participate.

Last edited:

Franzilein

I think our main problem is that the ESC is connected to a broadcaster (NDR) that is part of the ARD, which is subject to public law and known to be very conservative.

As the ARD is our main broadcaster here in Germany it seemed logical in the past they were responsible for everything concerning the Song Contest, because until the 90s only a few households were able to receive the privat channels that were coming up.

But now, since basically everyone in Germany is able to receive the private channels too, it would be good to include them. Only problem are the TV license fees that every German inhabitant has to pay which are used to finance the ESC. The fees are not paid for the private channels, of course, so a collaboration of both the public and biggest private channels would be better.

I agree. Especially because the average age of ARD viewers is around 60 while the one from ProSieben, the collaborator channel of 2010-2012, is around 36. If we continue to hold national finals, we really need a more diverse audience – but also great candidates and songs, in my opinion this year was the worst since 2017 – and in 2017 we could only choose between two songs, so it ain't even a fair comparison.

It already worked a few times when Stefan Raab was involved, who worked for one of our biggest private channels. The thing is, I never thought Stefan Raab wrote particularly good songs or did a good job finding the right candidate. It was more or less random and in some cases good promo work we were most successful with his entries, that’s my opinion, and like Ralph Siegel‘s time ended in the 90s, Stefan Raab‘s time ended long ago. His songs are as boring as the songs we‘ve been sending since and I don’t think he would do a better job.

Disagree. It stops being random when he is involved in six cases and all manage to finish in the top 10. He was one of our biggest entertainers in Germany, selling out whole stadiums with his shows. He understood perfectly what could work for the audience – helps that he is also a flexible musician, capable of covering many genres. Something different to his "ESC songs" e.g. :

We need someone courageous. People have to get rid of the thought that a last place in ESC will ruin their career. Even the last places have their views/listeners and more than an unknown upcoming artist would ever get when he is about to begin his career on the usual way. Being able to perform on ESC is some of the biggest possibilities an artist will ever get. It’s lots and lots of promo, no matter the outcome.

We need someone charismatic who is able to cope with the pressure and has a lot of self-confidence. Malik was that someone, unlike all participants we‘ve had before the last decade. He just had the wrong song. He should come back with another, more daring song next year.

Absolutely agree. But when I see Ann-Sophie at The Voice last year and hear what that last place has done to her psychologically, I can't really blame anyone who wants to avoid the ESC. The only one who managed to put the ESC to good use was Michael Schulte after all, and he got fourth. Really says it all actually.

As much as I love EC, their time in Eurovision is over, there is too much that is contradicting, imo. It would not be a good idea to let them participate.

All that hype and positive feedback around their potential candidature and you say "their time in Eurovision is over"? Eh, quite the head scratch here... have we ever had an ESC song where growling was involved by the way? Can't remember at all :lol:

midnightsun

Veteran
I didn’t mean their "own“ time is over. They are super successful all over Europe and I think even US, they are in the middle of a successful tour. Like they stated in their application video: we have everything we wanted, so why should we go to Eurovision?

But I have a feeling that there‘s not a place for them at Eurovision, as long as it is like it is now. People love them, it could only get worse for them, because they ARE already successful. Of course I‘d love to see them at the ESC… imagine them performing their latest single "Spaceman“ right after Sam Ryder "Space Man“ :LOL: But maybe you‘re right,maybe they should try again, after all I signed the first petition to get them to ESC! :)

And yes about the mental health of the candidates. Someone (I think Wolfslast) hinted at Malik being the only one stable enough to perform on such a big stage. I think the others were too nervous, especially Emily & Felicia, it was hinted they weren’t ready for ESC, also Sisters, Jamie Lee, Levina, Ann Sophie… they were all nervous or had even breakdowns later. Ben Dolic seemed pretty nervous on stage too, I don’t think he had performed well if the contest took place. Jendrik SEEMED confident during the ESC time and on stage, but after the ESC… his instagrams didn’t sound too happy and he seems quite down and unstable. Malik I have to say was definitely the right candidate this year and I would love to see a comeback of him some time. What we need isn’t a young inexperienced "influencer“ type of musician. We need someone solid and confident with an impactful song.

Franzilein

I didn’t mean their "own“ time is over. They are super successful all over Europe and I think even US, they are in the middle of a successful tour. Like they stated in their application video: we have everything we wanted, so why should we go to Eurovision?

But I have a feeling that there‘s not a place for them at Eurovision, as long as it is like it is now. People love them, it could only get worse for them, because they ARE already successful. Of course I‘d love to see them at the ESC… imagine them performing their latest single "Spaceman“ right after Sam Ryder "Space Man“ :LOL: But maybe you‘re right,maybe they should try again, after all I signed the first petition to get them to ESC! :)

Aaaah, true. But aren't they quite suitable then? Even if they fall flat and get us another last place, I am sure their fan base is stable enough to not consider this a career-ruining failure. Still can't believe NDR turned them away. You have an established act with two catchy songs willing to participate, a lot of positive feedback from national as well as international viewers, a certain hype starting to build (after years of "Who is representing us again?") – aaaaand it's gone :poop: And we don't even know if this could be replicated next year. Missed opportunity under NDR number... xwait

shameless

Maybe I'm the only one but I think neither Malik nor EC have ANY potential to do well in the contest. Malik has some BND likeablilty but as we saw, that doesn't bring you points also because he has basically no star appeal.
With EC its more that they were good for the cause but I still HATED their song and I doubt they would've scored better than middle field with everyone being surprised about it. For sure they would've gotten a cold response by jury and I don't know if audience really voted for something ironic as that lately. I feel more that most people would've loathed them. They were THAT annoying.
With that being said it was all somewhat just deciding between "Pest and Cholera" as it said in german. I wish we would actually have some people in discussion that are a bit more relevant but even in the older days when days weren't that DARK (early-mid 00s) we only had newcomers or second rate acts applying whom's careers also already peaked before.
And now they threat the younger The Voice-alumni as they're the second coming of Jesus because there are usually so many of them on the NF even when they haven't proven anything musically wise.

Zerocalcare

Maybe I'm the only one but I think neither Malik nor EC have ANY potential to do well in the contest. Malik has some BND likeablilty but as we saw, that doesn't bring you points also because he has basically no star appeal.
With EC its more that they were good for the cause but I still HATED their song and I doubt they would've scored better than middle field with everyone being surprised about it. For sure they would've gotten a cold response by jury and I don't know if audience really voted for something ironic as that lately. I feel more that most people would've loathed them. They were THAT annoying.
With that being said it was all somewhat just deciding between "Pest and Cholera" as it said in german. I wish we would actually have some people in discussion that are a bit more relevant but even in the older days when days weren't that DARK (early-mid 00s) we only had newcomers or second rate acts applying whom's careers also already peaked before.
And now they threat the younger The Voice-alumni as they're the second coming of Jesus because there are usually so many of them on the NF even when they haven't proven anything musically wise.
Shortly before the ESC started, I had written that EC would not solve Germany's problem; indeed, Malik Harris was preferable to them! By saying this I immediately got the anger and laughter of their fans.

Now, when I feel in fans of the bubble the excitement or that "second coming of Christ" atmosphere most of the time I imagine that the beloved song will fail. The euro reveler does not follow the music with the mind but with the heart and often tends to live the contest lightly. It is not a fault but of course their comments are not indicative. The key question is "If Alvan & Ahez surprisingly failed with their song that mixed catchy and tradition, are we sure EC would have done better?". For me, the decision not to participate was also wanted by the EC to prevent the 0 and the last place ESC from destroying their career. Except that they made sure to drop the blame on the selection process that acquired the image of bad and anti-professional.

Germany needs more! xleft

mauve

Veteran
Something to laugh about:

Michael Wendler as German artist 2023:

Advantage: I quote (and translate):

„Nächstes Jahr schicken wir einfach den Wendler. Dem gönnt man die Blamage wenigstens.“

"Next year we'll just send the Wendler. At least you don't begrudge him the disgrace."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ESC94

Something to laugh about:

Michael Wendler as German artist 2023:

Advantage: I quote (and translate):

„Nächstes Jahr schicken wir einfach den Wendler. Dem gönnt man die Blamage wenigstens.“

"Next year we'll just send the Wendler. At least you don't begrudge him the disgrace."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

God please no!! In this case I´ll apply for Austrian citizenship!!

midnightsun

Veteran
"Rockstars" is now at #10 in the German top single charts.

Malik is on a successful tour right now.

His song is streamed more than 2 Million times.

I guess despite the last place we can call this quite a success.

midnightsun

Veteran
"Rockstars" has been streamed more than 10 Million times on Spotify. Malik is over the moon! :)
Has there ever been one of our "last placers“ that successful?

Top Bottom