Where are you now when I miss you?
You're sailin' around in my peripheral
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Where are you now?​

Last edited by a moderator:

VirginiaVision

I love We Are Domi and Lights Off, but I unfortunately think they peaked in the semi-final.

Domi’s voice sounded worn out in the final, which probably wasn’t her fault. Someone on Twitter made a really good point about how singers who qualify from semi 2 are at a disadvantage because they don’t get time to rest their voice between the semi and the final, considering the day in between is packed with rehearsals and interviews.

Still, the Czech delegation and Czech eurofans should be very proud. It was really something special to watch the band’s progression from their selection to now.

Slabsson79

IThis slick, radio-ready EDM number was more than welcome at the final.

The NF should definitely display the vocalists actual live vocals with as little support (especially cut down on the vocals in the backing track) as possible so we can get a more holistic sense of the potential package. This is a step up from when the NF was just clips and music videos, with us hoping the eventual winner can sing.

Apparently, it was not welcome, as it gained only 5 points from the public. And as I had written above, it is no fun to get to the final, only to receive 0/5/7 points from the public...
I am thus not really sure, if radio-ready, EDM tracks are really the way to go for Czechia. Yes, they might become a trademark of Czech Rep at ESC but we wanna be in the TOP SPOTS too.

nofuxCZ

Domi’s voice sounded worn out in the final, which probably wasn’t her fault. Someone on Twitter made a really good point about how singers who qualify from semi 2 are at a disadvantage because they don’t get time to rest their voice between the semi and the final, considering the day in between is packed with rehearsals and interviews.

You're right - she sounded worse in the jury final than in the semi and yesterday during the grand final it was obvious during the high notes her voice is pretty strained and not as good as in the semi.

Apparently, it was not welcome, as it gained only 5 points from the public. And as I had written above, it is no fun to get to the final, only to receive 0/5/7 points from the public...
I am thus not really sure, if radio-ready, EDM tracks are really the way to go for Czechia. Yes, they might become a trademark of Czech Rep at ESC but we wanna be in the TOP SPOTS too.

I don't think we will keep sending EDM songs - there is very little Czech EDM music out there, it's not something many artists here do...even for We Are Domi this was their first EDM-sounding song, their singles before that were just pop

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Apparently, electronic music is NOT, what the TELEVOTE and the JURIES praise. It is pointless to send something, if you are prone to fail...Czech votes from the semi will more likely shift towards others. It is no fun to partake at ESC and either NQ or get 0-5-7 Pts from the televote in the GF....
Hatari and Go_A got a lot of praise with electronic subgenres so not all is lost!!!!!

Franzilein

Think them opening the show really hurt their chances. On my viewing party everyone thought the light show was too much. It worked great in the semis as a last hurrah and highlight when they closed the show.

• Like It
Reactions: Rob

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
I don't get the televote score here... Definitely the running order that killed them

Bad luck :(

Was my 2nd favorite in the final after Spain

Well done :cz: xheart

martin

I like it and think it deserved better. But bad running order in final and AWESOME running ordning in semifinal could be something.

Also she was better in semifinal and they get helped that UK, Spain, Moldova and Norway did not competed in semifinal 2. In final it was just other songs who stand more out.

dogmeat

I may be weird, but I kinda liked her worn out voice in the final. The contest often hyperfocuses on strong vocals. It's nice to have something that doesn't steal attention from the rest of the song. And the worn out effect actually sounded nice to me, and fit the song.
:cz: jumped into my top 5 in the end

NeoTen

I love We Are Domi and Lights Off, but I unfortunately think they peaked in the semi-final.

This. But still, I think it's quite telling if you only have a few lines in a EDM song and still can't manage belting those.

Slabsson79

This. But still, I think it's quite telling if you only have a few lines in a EDM song and still can't manage belting those
Well, there were not that few lines as you suggest. And if your vocal cords are done, they are done. Someone with a injured leg will not make a top notch finish at 100-meters-sprint...
But let us move one and contemplate: Who shall bring the Grand Final home for Czech Republic at the ESC 2023?

NeoTen

Well, there were not that few lines as you suggest. And if your vocal cords are done, they are done. Someone with a injured leg will not make a top notch finish at 100-meters-sprint...
But let us move one and contemplate: Who shall bring the Grand Final home for Czech Republic at the ESC 2023?
I'd say, bring Mikolas Josef back. The guys had serious sex appeal, he wasn't even fully healed from his back injuries and still went full Olympics and hip hop in one, had a #1 hit home, has some new experience with a Sony deal in songwriting. He was forth in televoting in 2018 with not that good luck (2nd worst spot in the final even though it came 2nd in the semi).

Slabsson79

I'd say, bring Mikolas Josef back. The guys had serious sex appeal, he wasn't even fully healed from his back injuries and still went full Olympics and hip hop in one, had a #1 hit home, has some new experience with a Sony deal in songwriting. He was forth in televoting in 2018 with not that good luck (2nd worst spot in the final even though it came 2nd in the semi).
Well, i guess a classy, non-boring jury friendly act sung in Czech might be a way too. Of course, Czech Rep is not Greece, Portugal or Iceland, but it still might do well.

NeoTen

Well, i guess a classy, non-boring jury friendly act sung in Czech might be a way too. Of course, Czech Rep is not Greece, Portugal or Iceland, but it still might do well.
That band Mirai is pretty popular there? Classy enough?

HayashiM

Veteran
Tereza Mašková is one of the best voices we can offer, but she would have to ditch her songwriters and go for something with slightly more... substance. Žár is the only thing I'd heard from her I don't see as a clear last place in the semis.
Mirai are super popular here and I don't straightout hate them, I just don't see them coming up with anything competitive that could easily connect with international audience. Their brand is "feel good music for the Czechs". Could surprise, but it's quite unlikely.

I would love us to showcase a bit more of our culture and traditions - perhaps going slightly in the Ukrainian direction, joining the traditional with the modern. Vesna / Deloraine / maaaybe even Čechomor or something Čechomor-inspired? Or hopefully Giudi could give it another shot (I wonder what could've happened had we sent her this year).

Slabsson79

Tereza Mašková is one of the best voices we can offer, but she would have to ditch her songwriters and go for something with slightly more... substance. Žár is the only thing I'd heard from her I don't see as a clear last place in the semis.
Mirai are super popular here and I don't straightout hate them, I just don't see them coming up with anything competitive that could easily connect with international audience. Their brand is "feel good music for the Czechs". Could surprise, but it's quite unlikely.

I would love us to showcase a bit more of our culture and traditions - perhaps going slightly in the Ukrainian direction, joining the traditional with the modern. Vesna / Deloraine / maaaybe even Čechomor or something Čechomor-inspired? Or hopefully Giudi could give it another shot (I wonder what could've happened had we sent her this year).
I agree. T.M. would need slightly more competitive material to sing, as it is really not only about hitting the notes. Although "New me" with a decent staging and appropriate hype would sure be a TOP 10 contender...but ok, not sung in Czech.
IMHO Mirai is a ESC-No-Go for Czechia.
Deloraine would risk being considered a Go_A wannabe. But definitely a good band indeed.
And as for Giudi. I simply think her songs go from nowhere to nowhere...Jezinky was imho a heavy contender for dead last place in the semis. I even think Jordan and Emma stood better chances, but it is only my opinion.
What do you think about the CZECH language "issue"?

HayashiM

Veteran
I agree. T.M. would need slightly more competitive material to sing, as it is really not only about hitting the notes. Although "New me" with a decent staging and appropriate hype would sure be a TOP 10 contender...but ok, not sung in Czech.
IMHO Mirai is a ESC-No-Go for Czechia.
Deloraine would risk being considered a Go_A wannabe. But definitely a good band indeed.
And as for Giudi. I simply think her songs go from nowhere to nowhere...Jezinky was imho a heavy contender for dead last place in the semis. I even think Jordan and Emma stood better chances, but it is only my opinion.
What do you think about the CZECH language "issue"?
I agree with you - a class act in Czech would imo be the best. Serbia, Moldova and Ukraine have all made the top 10 this year mostly without English, why not us? If we get a song that has Czech not as an "obstacle", but mostly as a well thought out selling point, it could work.
Jan Bors mentionned in one of his videos that he finds singing in Czech "embarassing" in ESC context, and I think that's a shame. Songs in Czech on our scene might not be suitable for international audiences, but that's because they are truly meant as a local product. We need to sell our Czech-ness, and the language could become a valuable tool to stand out - once someone gets it right :)

Top Bottom