'Cause heaven can't wait for us to finish the fight

And I'm stronger than angels
I'm fearless in danger
And I will bring dark to the light
Let me be your halo
'Cause we've been through hell and back in only one night​

Ezio

Veteran
"The disappointment is of course great, after all we didn't make it to the final for the third time in a row. We simply have to analyze how it is possible that a song that has been extremely successful on YouTube, Spotify and Co still doesn't get enough votes to make it to the final," says HOD Stefan Zechner, who has been responsible since 2011.

"In Austria the Song Contest is still belittled a bit, even if the musical quality has improved significantly".
He cannot say how things will continue in concrete terms, "especially since we have a new program director in Stefanie Groiss-Horowitz. We will consider together how to approach the Song Contest. The question is, what needs to be changed, what new approaches can be made".
When asked if he thought it would make sense to connect the ESC candidates with a format like "Starmania", Zechner says: "That's one of the many options. But it's possible that someone wins "Starmania" who doesn't actually would be good for the Song Contest. If you make your own preliminary decision, on the other hand, you have the problem that you have to find artists who are willing to face a competition. And many established musicians don't want that." A rough decision on how to proceed should be made in June, "because if a new system is to be implemented, we have to prepare for it over the summer."
The reason why ESC belittled in Austria is because of many undeserved flops we suffered. So people turned against the event. And furthermore, Austria also started to return the favour with half assed entries. It’s a generational downward spiral here that has manifested and is unbreakable. The 2000s made it worse with all the circus and block voting. Even if we finish Top 10 next year, people will say Eurovision is irrelevant shit. No one really cared about Cesar Sampson. I think Moldova was way more appreciative of their hit groups.

btw why do we need a new approach when Halo is the biggest Eurovision hit we have probably produced?

Lindon

I guess I'm not alone skipping the show

Top 6 this week on Spotify
Most-streamed Eurovision 2022 songs on Spotify last week (May 6-12)
1. (=) Brividi (2,745,061 streams) 🇮🇹
2. (=) De diepte (2,337,553) 🇳🇱
3. (=) Hold Me Closer (1,634,098) 🇸🇪
4. (+3) Stefania (1,498,142) 🇺🇦
5. (=) SloMo (1,410,684) 🇪🇸
6. (=) Halo (1,238,882) 🇦🇹

Last edited:

Datura

The reason why ESC belittled in Austria is because of many undeserved flops we suffered.
what undeserved flops are u talking about exactly? to be honest i don't think we had many good entries (i wouldnt give a last place to the makemakes but i don't see any of the non-qualifiers to be robbed tbh - halo being by far the best of them for ages). something like natalia kelly eg is typically austrian esc material - boring as hell.

the orf is really bad in the pop music department imo, so we gotta search somewhere else, i think we have a lot of great musicians

anselm

Name them, what is with this victim mentality you all seem to have?
As an Austrian, I can confirm that a lot of people here *love* constantly playing the victim card and resort to blaming others for their own shortcomings (often to the point of conspiracy beliefs) - as beautifully demonstrated by two particular members here :'D

Ezio

Veteran
what undeserved flops are u talking about exactly? to be honest i don't think we had many good entries (i wouldnt give a last place to the makemakes but i don't see any of the non-qualifiers to be robbed tbh - halo being by far the best of them for ages). something like natalia kelly eg is typically austrian esc material - boring as hell.

the orf is really bad in the pop music department imo, so we gotta search somewhere else, i think we have a lot of great musicians
I am talking of decades ago, not of recent years. We wouldn’t have sent Natalia Kelly, if Eurovision was taken seriously

Ezio

Veteran
I am trying to explain why the HoD stated ESC was belittled in Austria. please get lost now

Lindon

i have seen all ESC since 1990, with the exception of 2009. ORF only broadcasted the voting live and the show afterwards. Honestly, skipping Eurovision is something that already crossed my mind 2019 and 2021. The show has become so generic and the wheel of Eurovision is spinning faster and faster and I feel like my lifetime is running out.

seeing Austria not in the final for 5 years at least, is awful. I wonder how many times I will see them until I die and how many times will they be really successful. Maybe once Or twice…
😔

Last edited:

Himan

Even after 7 years of not qualifying, we Dutchies weren't this bad in behavior. Please accept your loss and come back better next time. 3 NQ's in a row can still often be contributed to variance. Especially in Austria's case. I understand Austrian people watching the final less this year, that probably happens in every NQ country.

marty

Eurovision is belittled in every country (maybe except Iceland), but still there are a lot of people interested in ESC and the reputation of ESC for sure got better recently in Austria. The Semi on Tuesday had a very good market share and so will have the final even with Austria not participating. Media are full with coverage. The interest is much higher than in the 80ies or 90ies when ESC was basicly seen as a freak show. More people have been watching back then because there was no choice.

Ezio

Veteran

Ezio

Veteran
Eurovision is belittled in every country (maybe except Iceland), but still there are a lot of people interested in ESC and the reputation of ESC for sure got better recently in Austria. The Semi on Tuesday had a very good market share and so will have the final even with Austria not participating. Media are full with coverage. The interest is much higher than in the 80ies or 90ies when ESC was basicly seen as a freak show. More people have been watching back then because there was no choice.
No one called ESC a freak show in the 80s or 90s.

It you all think that Eurovision is belittled everywhere then ask our HoD why he said what he said. I am not his Jen Psaki.

Austria rubbed the EBU the wrong way too many times. We are the old Eurovision country with one of the worst track records for a reason but not the worst songs. ORF protested on too many occasions against EBU standards, and in 2015 they did what they wanted with the show.

they try hard and fail and another year they don’t give a fuck. it’s always the same. IMHO ORF was done with ESC in 1993, after they didnt get better results with excellent entries and finished with 0 points three times in 8 years. then they try a comeback in 2000 that didn’t work, then 2011, didn’t work. In 2014 they didnt try at all, it was Conchita herself who said please let me go to eurovision. Five years later things are back to normal. A masterpiece like Limits gets 0 tv points which isnt worse than saudade, saudade. ORF is about to realize there isn’t much they can do. It’s not the NDR who really is clueless about Eurovision. ORF sent actual really good entries. When you hit the charts like this, you shouldn’t second guess your procedures,

and Netherlands shouldn’t discuss behavior, sha La lie sha La La.

Last edited:

tuorem

A qualification on your return in 2011, a flawless victory in 2014, a televote magnet in 2016, a qualification thanks to juries in 2017, a jury winner and top 5 finish in 2018... Honestly other nations would kill for such achievements imo.

Personally, I think explanations as to why the NQs have been piling up since then are quite easy to guess. They have been discussed in their respective threads. And that's totally solvable if ORF wants to do something about it.

mauve

Veteran
Don't worry about the NQ. I am REALLY certain that you will return stronger (hopefully already next year). And look at us (Germany) what we are making thru - and I haven't lost faith (yet). Am I delusional? :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom