Let me be your halo
'Cause heaven can't wait for us to finish the fight

And I'm stronger than angels
I'm fearless in danger
And I will bring dark to the light
Let me be your halo
'Cause we've been through hell and back in only one night​

hpp0

i've read that a couple of times now, and the thing is: they DID ask an "actual" (<- as you call it) singer. not just one, they asked a few. one of them has 60.000 monthy listeners on spotify and her most successful song has over a million streams. guess what: nobody wanted to do it! and then the manager of a different artist (who did not participate in the preselection but was asked) suggested pia maria.
we can debate if it was the right decision to let an unexperienced newcomer perform in front of millions but at least she had the courage to do it, so i respect her for that
I said actual singer as in someone who does it professionally, cause the commentators mentioned that she is an amateur, but then again I don't really trust them so I don't really know.

Well if that was the case then I have big respect for her cause she really did a very good job even if it was imperfect. I just asked cause in the rehearsal clip I was listening to the backing vocalists and they were singing great so I was wondering why it couldn't be at least one of them the main singer since they can pull it off somewhat better than Pia and they probably have more experience.

Lindon

An average 417,000 Austrians followed the broadcast of the first semi-final on ORF1, with a peak of 475,000. The average share throughout the event was of 19.25%.

Morty

Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island
Ok, so I had Austria as my #3 this year, behind France and Czechia, and Halo was the only entry I voted for yesterday. I guess you can imagine how frustrated I am about Austria's result. But my #3 was the studio version, which is an absolute banger. I started fearing for Halo's chances as soon as I heard it live yesterday. It wasn't as bad as Sebastian Rejman's singing for Finland 2019, but it wasn't nearly as good as the studio version, and the staging was pretty disappointing too. This is music made for Tomorrowland's main stage, not some small basement club. I like the idea of having a halo around LUM!X and Pia Maria, but the scale of everything was way too small. And unfortunately, these entries need to be nailed live to have a chance at a good result. I don't know how they're treated in the other countries, but in Norway, this type of music brings out comments like "the 90's are back!!", and I genuinely hate it, because I've been listening to this type of music ever since. I didn't give up on it in 2000, dance music was never dead, so stop trying to pretend like it's made a comeback from some dark tombs in nowhereland! But unfortunately, Austria last night wasn't nailed, and we see the result. :( Fingers crossed for Czechia tomorrow. xpray

anselm

i've read that a couple of times now, and the thing is: they DID ask an "actual" (<- as you call it) singer. not just one, they asked a few. one of them has 60.000 monthy listeners on spotify and her most successful song has over a million streams. guess what: nobody wanted to do it! and then the manager of a different artist (who did not participate in the preselection but was asked) suggested pia maria.
we can debate if it was the right decision to let an unexperienced newcomer perform in front of millions but at least she had the courage to do it, so i respect her for that
Lisa Pac? xthink

Datura

I said actual singer as in someone who does it professionally, cause the commentators mentioned that she is an amateur, but then again I don't really trust them so I don't really know.

Well if that was the case then I have big respect for her cause she really did a very good job even if it was imperfect. I just asked cause in the rehearsal clip I was listening to the backing vocalists and they were singing great so I was wondering why it couldn't be at least one of them the main singer since they can pull it off somewhat better than Pia and they probably have more experience.
yes she earns money as a make up artist at the theatre, and she did some smaller performances so i would not really call her a total amateur but yes shes definitely not very experienced.
what i found quite surprising: the backing singers are apparently from turin (the austrian commentator mentioned that, i hope i did not mishear it), so i'm wondering how much thought orf put into the live vocals. does not sound like the made a huge effort, seems they chose random singers...
and i don't think marvin dietmann did a good or creative job with the staging either - and with 6 people involved they still could have had 2 dancers

FilipFromSweden

Lots of complaining and yet nobody can deny that they made the arena boil, people were standing up and dancing to it. Definitely deserved to qualify

Ezio

Veteran
Eurovision in Austria is officially in danger. ORF is struggling to find a viable artist every yearr, not even talent show alumni are interested in ESC. The flop of Lumix is the nail in the coffin.

I think ORF is not giving a flying fuck about next year, they will not take any effort at all, imho.

However I will hold the memories of this Eurovision season very dear. The release of the song, the excitement, the response. Pia Maria is iconic, she is my personal Verka Serducka. Love her. So adorable.

Eurovision wants to celebrate diversity but caters a ballad exclusive final and always the same Logos and graphics. Last year worse singers made it to the final with lame slut bops, these year it is the yawn contest.

Here is an idea for more diversity and excitement in the final, since Eurovision has to cater to the fans and viewers at home, not the juries.

The jury top 5 of each semi go to the final and next best 5 of televoting. This ensures that fan faves go to the final and the most competitive acts. A qualifier that was barely saved by the juries is a lost cause in the GF. But someone saved by televoters will get a decent moment "get ready to receive 123 points" even if his jury score sucks ass

We would have had Montenegro 2013, Blackbird, Lost in Verona and even Trijnje Oosterhuis in the finals

Last edited:

Datura

Eurovision in Austria is officially in danger. ORF is struggling to find a viable artist every yearr, not even talent show alumni are interested in ESC. The flop of Lumix is the nail in the coffin.
i dont agree. this year the internal preselection was better than every other year after conchita, there were some (imo) great artists who showed interest. but halo was the best song imo and yes with this particular entry they had troubles finding a singer.
i do think they should change the selection process and maybe involve different people though

Mainshow

Veteran
ORF should just go for some more "niche" genres - Visions of Atlantis, Serenity wanted to represent Austria - they would have qualified yesterday, imo.

Actually, I was surprised about your internal selection this year - it seems that quite some well-established and popular artists wanted to represent Austria - ORF just needs to get other people to pick your entry (like Germany/NDR).

Ezio

Veteran
i dont agree. this year the internal preselection was better than every other year after conchita, there were some (imo) great artists who showed interest. but halo was the best song imo and yes with this particular entry they had troubles finding a singer.
i do think they should change the selection process and maybe involve different people though
Eberhard Forcher Said it himself, only this year was an exception

Datura

Eberhard Forcher Said it himself, only this year was an exception
well if this year was an exception it basically means things are looking up :D (i get what u mean though and yea i hope not qualifying again will not make it even more complicated)

Ezio

Veteran
well if this year was an exception it basically means things are looking up :D (i get what u mean though and yea i hope not qualifying again will not make it even more complicated)
you said yourself they didn’t find a singer for Lumix

grazy2266

I'm sad to see Austria go, however when I saw the performance I thought "oh dear, we're in trouble".

Datura

you said yourself they didn’t find a singer for Lumix
yes for this specific entry. but lots of other artists showed interest in participating > with their own song <
so interest was there, or do i miss something?

Ezio

Veteran
Top Bottom