Contact us

Things you didn´t like about ESC 2021??

ESC94

I also have to admit that I found many of the spokespersons really cringy and embarassing this year. Do you want examples??

:se: Instead of giving the points Carola was really busy with self-adulating herself, wich wasn´t necessary at all :rolleyes:

:gr: Sending a child who should have been sleeping already too avoid the boos because of the predictable voting for Cyprus (n)

:de: Barbara showing the whole world how terrible her taste of fashion is, also again confusing "funny" and "loud" xfacepalm

:uk: Amanda was basically the walking example of the terrible attitude the BBC has towards Eurovision, especially her "jokes": "Haha, I don´t know which language I was talking. I´m soo funny, right??" Nope, you weren´t!! :mad:

Last edited:

Shadowfuxcs

I also have to admit that I found many of the spokespersons really cringy and embarassing this year. Do you want examples??

:se: Instead of giving the points Carola was really busy with self-adulating herself, wich wasn´t necessary at all :rolleyes:

:gr: Sending a child who should have been sleeping already too avoid the boos because of the predictable voting for Cyprus (n)

:de: Barbara showing the whole word how terrible her taste of fashion is, also again confusing "funny" and "loud" xfacepalm

:uk: Amanda was basically the walking example of the terrible attitude the BBC has towards Eurovision, especially her "jokes": "Haha, I don´t know which language I was talking. I´m soo funny, right??" Nope, you weren´t!! :mad:
I found both Amanda and the Greek child hilarious but then I have no self-respect to begin with.

Ezio

Veteran
The Land of Pizza and Sambuca statement. The unintentional slip moment when a host showed the real prejudice he has.

For visuals in this type of competition, staging is the most important element.

Therefore, the stage that was pretty standard in design, not innovative at all, and the video wall / back drop with thacky LED, were the biggest flop.

I don't remember at all the postcards of Netherlands. If somebody asked me what I learned about Netherlands after the ESC, I'd say nothing really.
That's harsh but true. Netherlands did not really represent itself as a country. It was a very generic Eurovision. The Water interval act is representative of any country which has a coast or lakes, which is basically every country that ever hosted Eurovision. except for Luxembourg.

Also Israel 2019 was kind of a miss in this regards, however, their postcards made up for the lack of local flavour in the show.

Portugal and Ukraine did very well.

Ianp16

Agree with pretty much everything above. The main thing I didn't enjoy was how little The Netherlands as a nation and culture was represented over the three shows. The stage designs over the last few years have become, as someone has pointed out already - homogenous. It's a bit boring for us ESC stans but I suppose the general viewer probably doesn't give it a thought. I want to see more culture. What's the point in having the show in a new nation each year if the show looks exactly the same and doesn't have anything new to offer?

burrito

I actually liked the postcards. They did not showcase the country much, right, but they did showcase the artists which is even better. But what they didn't do in postcards, they could do in the interval acts and yet they completely missed out on that.

The flag parade was a disappointment. It felt rushed and it was clear that they either didn't really have an idea for that or that they've decided it's not important enough to actually try. The artist didn't even have flags, what kind of flag parade is that? After a wonderful one we had in Tel Aviv that was just a letdown.

innou

Probably the postcards. Especially their music. There were years with bland postcards as well (2017 comes to mind), but at least the music was interesting. This year it was pretty much elevator music.

The execution was also a bit eh. I feel like there were shifts in quality between them. For example, I really liked Gjon's and Hurricane's ones, because the research behind them was obvious. I didn't like Maneskin's one. You couldn't tell anything about them other than they played rock music and did concerts.

Ezio

Veteran
I think the problem with the postcards this year were due to Covid restrictions. Therefore the idea of putting the acts into the centre did not work out effectively. Some acts gave us their authentic selves, most acts just boring stuff or wannabe stuff and it was contributed remotely. They should have really went for putting the regions of Netherlands into the focus with some history telling, and fortget about the acts.

Ezio

Veteran
Why didn’t Ilse de Lange and Anouk get to perform at all!?

hawadharma

Ezio

Veteran
I dread that logos these days get simpler and simpler for smartphone use and also graphics. This year for me has reached a new low in boring, clean cut, monochromatic graphic design.

Eurovision from 2005 to 2013 had much quirkier designs and then the decline kicked in.

Butterflies turned into gems, gems into spheres, spheres into circles, circles into squares and stripe, and colors, shades and flares got reduced to zero.

It’s too plain and too simple.

VirginiaVision

Echoing what many have already said: I'm sick of seeing the same Eurovision winners over and over again. The gimmick has not only grown old for dedicated fans, but it's probably never worked for first-time or even casual viewers. They don't know who these people are, and having the context of "they won Eurovision in xxxx year" just isn't enough to make their presence significant in the mind of a stranger.

I'm not opposed to bringing back past acts for interval performances, but I think the host broadcaster should be more concerned with booking their own acts rather than popular ones. The Netherlands, in part because of its long history with the contest, has plenty of options to pull from. Even newer, less successful countries would be able to pull this off. I can go through every participating country and think of several acts that I could argue are significant enough to make an appearance if that country were to host the contest.

Didn't the Dutch broadcaster(s) say in the lead-up to the 2020 contest that the interval acts were all going to be Dutch? I get that Covid probably changed things, but it doesn't make sense that it would've changed a national plan to an international one.

lasse braun

first: ban pre-recorded backing vocals!
second: see above.:mrgreen:
third:autotune (this is voice manipulation not more).
fourth: too much måns last years - please ban måns from all 20s ESCs as compensation. xcookie
fifth: only 6 people on stage allowed.:mad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom