Contact us

Speculate: Trends of 2022

Loindici

Veteran
xqueenbitchTrends of 2022 xqueenbitch

Let's speculate what kind of trends you wish to see happen in 2022 contest (song, performance, national selection, etc.)!

--- 2021 trends ---
National Selection
Songs
Performance
Results
  • Internal selection orgy
  • Landslide NF winners
  • MegaMarchSplosion :rolleyes:
  • Returning NF winners
  • Rising popularity of groups
  • Uptempos
  • 80s revival
  • Overload of English songs
  • Religious undertones
  • Totally diverse genre choices
  • Silver beady dresses
  • 80s color schemes
  • Prerecorded vocals ruining everything
  • Dancers overload
  • Satellite stage getting immense amounts of love
  • Freaking technical stagings
  • Top 3 songs in Romantic Language (French, Italian)
  • 5/10 songs in non-English language in Top 10
  • Some fishy jury 12s
  • Jury-televote discrepancies
  • Four televote 0s

Last edited:

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Pop rock, for sure. Not even necessarily due to Maneskin's win or Blind Channel doing well, but mostly because it seems to be the new trend (the way disco/80s revival happened this past year)

Maybe more experimental/less commercial acts given their good results

CPV4931

However it's gonna be more polished since juries were here, unlike the Helsinki contest.

And for that note, Can Germany get a rock band for 2022? xmetal
A Rock band representing Germany would be insane xheart

Sabrewulf238

I guess the most obvious trend is we might see more rock songs.

I think on top of that we might see more confidence in sending songs in languages other than English, probably not significantly so but more than this year at least.

Loindici

Veteran
Raylee with a Rocksong at MGP.

Imagine this and Raylee with a mullet!

Joking aside, we might see a surge of rock, punk, or 200s pop rock revival, maybeee?

Loindici

Veteran
What if :it: :ch: :sm: will sing in Italian?

A-lister

Veteran
What if :it: :ch: :sm: will sing in Italian?

Well, Italy singing in Italian wouldn't be a shocker, but this would be nice... it was so refreshing to see Switzerland going with one of their native languages after English for a decade, and I think it's about time San Marino sends an Italian language entry (I still think San Marino should choose a song from Sanremo instead of their current concept).

innou

Imagine this and Raylee with a mullet!

Joking aside, we might see a surge of rock, punk, or 200s pop rock revival, maybeee?

I keep thinking about it, especially pop-rock and pop-punk. The same way that Dua Lipa's success brought us a bunch of 80's inspired pop bangers, next year could be the year where we get Olivia Rodrigo counterfeits.xyaay

Good 4 u is smashing it right now, and I can absolutely see songs like this emerging.

Loindici

Veteran
this whole thread aged badly
To my surprise, it is.

Well, at least we got French singing in a regional language.

midnightsun

Veteran
Who would have thought half the songs or more are heavy slow songs. I don’t know if I can handle all the depression although I really like melancholic songs more than anything else (almost none of my favourite songs ever - even outside ESC - are in major mode) but we have too many to choose from. Some will get lost in the semis, very sad. And - I don’t like to say it - part of Eurovision is its eye catching performances. A huge spectacle. A festival of colors and joy. This year will be a new low with probably a lot of simple stagings.
Not saying it’s adequate to have bright colors and loud music, jumping around, celebrating big with everything going on but can’t we have just those three hours to enjoy while our minds get distracted for a little while?
Also, another trend is clear: vote for Ukraine to show support. Not that I mind them winning, even if it’s for that reason (and I don’t even like their song that much), but it makes everything totally foreseeable. They will win the televote in a landslide and probably also the jury vote.

Gitte

I really wish that won't happen, the voting for ukraine to show support. It's ungenuine and they won't be able to host anyway. If it's still a mess in may (or worse), part of the votingmoney and ticketsale should maybe simply go to charity instead.

Fluke

What we've actually seen so far:
LGBT-themed songs and artists (Israel, Romania, Australia, Italy, San Marino, Norway IMO)
Boring, messy ballads with undefinable melody (you know which)
Artists changing between several instruments in a performance (Denmark, Germany, France, though we're not sure if any of these will make it to their Eurovision staging)
Generally trolling/jokey entries (Latvia, Georgia, Serbia, Norway, Ukraine etc.)
Blonde black artists (Germany and Belgium, so far)
Actually slightly less non-English entries than i hoped, but Sweden might send one for the first time!

Zeus

Sad girls singing generic, uncreative songs

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Leather pants (Belgium Music Video, Romania NF performance, Chanel Portugal performance - dancers)

Top Bottom