Reach up to heaven
To you

I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
Yeah I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
And I'm still not sure
What you ever saw in me

No, I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
Tryna fly, but I'm not able, so
Just let me go (I'm a, I'm a fallen angel)
'Cause no matter where my heart is
There's no way I'll ever
Reach up to heaven
To you​

Last edited by a moderator:

mauve

Veteran
DaTeD tRaSh' because i personally never listened to 90's boy bands. We do not care, oldies! xbeach
Just wanted to add that I AM one of these oldies ... compare me to a dinosaur cause I am one of the oldest ESC-Fans here actually (as far as I know). I had my youth in the 80's-90's ... :eek: And I never listened to boy bands. I was/am a Metal queen ... xqueenbitch

Elina UA

You're missing out. It's a fest :LOL:

My generation (20-30 years old) grew up with these songs, no party is a success if they aren't included.
Rubbish. I'm 24 y.o. and they were gone when i was at the age of reason.xcheer

Just wanted to add that I AM one of these oldies ... compare me to a dinosaur cause I am one of the oldest ESC-Fans here actually (as far as I know). I had my youth in the 80's-90's ... :eek: And I never listened to boy bands. I was/am a Metal queen ... xqueenbitch
xkiss

See? Y'all just overhype all the outdated trope here.

nofuxCZ

I am not fan of the song and also think it's outdated, but I am convinced it will qualify and probably get a good result in the final as well. It will be this year's Szpak or DoReDos

Franzilein

A man of culture, I see xheat

Rubbish. I'm 24 y.o. and they were gone when i was at the age of reason.xcheer

Maybe you're just a special specimen then :p I’m one year older than you and it’s in large parts the sound of my childhood, you’re the first one in a really long time who disagrees. Children’s disco without Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera? Unthinkable! :lol:

But then again, coming back to TIX... I don't hear 90's boyband sound in Fallen Angel at all. I just don't see it as a negative aspect when people compare it to that. It doesn't make sense to me, but that is okay.

Jopi

But that's just cultural difference...Ukraine and Germany... I mean, if it wasn't for my parents specificaly, I would not have listed to Shakira when I was only 2/3 years old haha, but probably some Balkan folk music lol
The 90s / 2000s boyband wasn't also popular in my household, I would say.. But looking back... What's wrooong with boyband music? It's so nice.:love:

mauve

Veteran
But then again, coming back to TIX... I don't hear 90's boyband sound in Fallen Angel at all. I just don't see it as a negative aspect when people compare it to that. It doesn't make sense to me, but that is okay.
Exactly. I actually think that the boyband-comparisons doesn't make sense at all. I hear no such music vibes in Fallen angel. :unsure: But who knows? People see different aspects in music and it is interesting sometimes.

Franzilein

But that's just cultural difference...Ukraine and Germany... I mean, if it wasn't for my parents specificaly, I would not have listed to Shakira when I was only 2/3 years old haha, but probably some Balkan folk music lol
The 90s / 2000s boyband wasn't also popular in my household, I would say.. But looking back... What's wrooong with boyband music? It's so nice.:love:

Stop talking so much sense in a thread which is besieged by MT xangry

But on a pure anecdotal note, I was pretty much under the impression during my Erasmus semester that all international students listened to the same stuff in their youth – but then again, there was nobody from Ukraine, the "closest" were students from Poland and Russia :lol:

And nothing is wrong with that music, it freaking smashes xmusic

The mystery is how "Fallen Angel" is considered "dated and overrated" and Denmark's song "brave" and ... "my guilty pleasure" xthink If Freud and Jung were still alive they would be happy to analyze certain brains :lol:

I love "Fallen Angel" and if some of you write that it's reminiscent of the 90s, I ... I'm happy! xyes These were the years of boy bands and singers gone down in history! xheat TIX, compared to what the representatives of Denmark have, has managed to transform "a sound already listen" into something new, to insert its "baggage of life" and to sublimate it xclap When I listen to "Fallen Angel", I can feel the essence of TIX: his weaknesses, his sadness but also his strength and his talent. When I listen to his song, I look over my shoulder and I can see my broken wings xangel ... we are all fallen angels! xgaah

I would be happy to see the Maeskin lose only if ESC 2021 wins it: Barbara Pravi :fr:, Destiny :mt: or ... TIX :no:!

If VikingTiger and Pal Nordhal are interested in having a combative and successful lawyer in their service, I am available xqueenbitch By now the haters are afraid of being seen in the "Italy thread"xscared

Shadowfuxcs

When I first heard the Norwegian version of this song I wouldn't have minded if it won over Keeino and it could have been my guilty pleasure of the year. Unfortunately the English lyrics destroyed any enjoyment I could get from the song. This whole "I am ugly and useless I will never get laid just kill me" attitude is not something I need in my life and it is not something anyone should need at the time we live now. Yes, music can be used to express melancholy, helplessness, resignation but
a. it has to be done tastefully or
b. you need to show me some light at the end of the tunnel
It is very hard for me to vibe with the song while the lyrics make me feel the need to reach out to him and tell him to tone it down a notch or call a life line.

As for the staging, love the devil outfits, not so much sold on the angel. Again, when I did not know what the lyrics where about I enjoyed the overall concept because it was telling me a story of emancipation, he was starting the song chained and controlled by the demons but by the end I was getting the impression that the situation was reversed and he was controlling them, forcing them to step off their podiums and dance around him. The English lyrics have nothing to do with this narrative so the staging is also ruined for me.

Euterpa

Country And Year don't mean anything. If you don't write the name of the song and artist, your post is pointless.

I can't comment on those examples you out cause you didn't write Name of the song and singer's name.

Point made!!!!!xdance2xleftxwait

How do they not mean anything? Each artist and song from a certain country have performed in a certain year. If a person doesn't write the name of the song and its artist and it doesn't mean anything to you, it just means you don't know which song participated when. It doesn't say anything about the original post. This is just a bad argument ironically followed by "point made". :lol:

I don't remember now all examples the original poster listed, but I remember Croatia 2017. Jacques Houdek - My Friend. He finished 13th in the final. 9th (!!) with the televote. 13th place is Croatia's best result ever since 2005. Severina was 12th in 2006 with Moja štikla, but there were less countries then so technically, Jacques achieved a better result than her.

Point made.

Euterpa

#OpenUp to Norway's entry.

When I first heard this song, I didn't think much of it, thought it was just ok. It was there. I actually didn't like KEiiNO's song and I considered it lacks the appeal of Spirit in the Sky, but I won't go into my reasons for this as it's not the main point here.

As previously said, eurofans do like to stick labels onto songs. It's always the same labels, we all know which they are. Honestly, when a person uses only these labels (or overwhelmingly these labels), that's a sign for me that the person has no idea what s/he's talking about. I've seen none of the people who just stick labels onto songs being able to explain their opinion, why are they applying this label. And believe me, I asked. I really tried to ask and get a real explanation. But I pretty much got "well you know, it's just like that and that's it".

Is Fallen Angel the most 2021 song this year? No. But that doesn't mean it's a bad song and can't get a good placing. If Say Na Na Na was 4th with the televote in its semi, there's really no guarantee that this will NQ just because it's not "modern".

And yes, eurofans do have double standards. Some songs get so much shade for being dated, having some elements from earlier decades, while others are glorified for having "older" elements. Someone described it very well with...if I like the song - it's retro, if I don't like the song - it's dated.

Some other songs that have elements that aren't very 2021 but that eurofans adore:
- Mata Hari (a song in English with a couple of lines in a native language, mostly upbeat pop with an ethnic instrumental hook - very characteristic of Eurovision 2000s era)
- Adrenalina (a song with all characteristics of late 2000s/early 2010s there could be. The melody, upbeat pop with an ethnic instrumental hook, the rap bridge part, the fact Flo Rida is in it)
- El Diablo (While we can't say that the song straight out copies Bad Romance, it does have the kind of production similar to that of Bad Romance which was released in 2009, and the Gaga-ish production in general from that period)

I often feel like if Dua Lipa appeared in Euovision before anywhere else, with one of her hits as her entry, that she'd have gotten a lot of this "generic", "nothing special", "she won't do well" comments.

I almost forgot after writing all of this... :D Yeah, although I didn't think much of it when I first heard it, I like it now. Fallen Angel has a really nice melody that gets into your ear. It will have its audience.

Last edited:

mauve

Veteran
The mystery is how "Fallen Angel" is considered "dated and overrated" and Denmark's song "brave" and ... "my guilty pleasure" xthink If Freud and Jung were still alive they would be happy to analyze certain brains :lol:

I love "Fallen Angel" and if some of you write that it's reminiscent of the 90s, I ... I'm happy! xyes These were the years of boy bands and singers gone down in history! xheat TIX, compared to what the representatives of Denmark have, has managed to transform "a sound already listen" into something new, to insert its "baggage of life" and to sublimate it xclap When I listen to "Fallen Angel", I can feel the essence of TIX: his weaknesses, his sadness but also his strength and his talent. When I listen to his song, I look over my shoulder and I can see my broken wings xangel ... we are all fallen angels! xgaah

I would be happy to see the Maeskin lose only if ESC 2021 wins it: Barbara Pravi :fr:, Destiny :mt: or ... TIX :no:!

If VikingTiger and Pal Nordhal are interested in having a combative and successful lawyer in their service, I am available xqueenbitch By now the haters are afraid of being seen in the "Italy thread"xscared
Freud trying to analyze the ESC-Fans and the 39 songs:

Sigmund-Freud-gif.gif

Remisan

if I like the song - it's retro, if I don't like the song - it's dated.
Yes.
But my english is bad. I tend to use the word "несовременная" (it's neutral) rather than "устаревшая" (more negative), but in google translate they both "outdated/obsolence". :cautious: "Несовременная" = "not modern" (It is not bad or good, only "song from another time").

When I talk about "timeless classics" I mean Joe Dassin, for example. I will recognize it 10 years later, and will listen to it again.
I like Adrenaline and Mata Hari.
Will I listen to them again next year? No. That is, for me personally, they have not become classics.
Will I recognize them on the radio in five years? Maybe. They have bright, memorable parts.
The Danish song doesn't have them (for me). I can’t call this song “boring” or “unpleasant” because for me it’s not so, but I can't say "nice/good retro", because I'm indifferent to it.
What word do you suggest for songs that sound retro, but don't stand out and not stick to your memory? xthink
sorry for the tediousness xangel

I don't like Fallen Angel, but I think it will be in final, may be top-15 (many streams on spotify, high places in some tops on youtube).

A-lister

Veteran
Yeah. Same televoters who voted in 2019 for an outdated 90's song from my provincial 300 hrn payment band KEiiNO and you know what? It won! Why would they vote now? I CAN'T SEE IT! IT'S NOT EVEN POSSIBLE!
Anyway, your statements about "Fallen Angel" being oUtDaTeD is just your personal opinion. No one ever sent here a similar song from an 90's boy band so you all have literally no proof.
Besides young public won't consider it 'oUtDaTeD tRaSh' because i personally never listened to 90's boy bands. We do not care, oldies! xbeach

What are you even on about?

The song literary sounds like some boyband ballad from early 00's, why are you all so sensitive? That's how it sounds and that's just it, whether it's something you like then that's another topic.

Also, I can't at people genuinely trying to find"depth" in these lyrics, to me it's basically a similar case as with the Swedish entry this year, some sob-story being sold to locals and people read too much into some very generic shallow lyrics packaged in some generic song.

Remisan

sounds like some boyband ballad from early 00's
I agree. It is not bad or good. If you like this kind of music - it is good for you.

But I will not make a prediction that it is not popular, because it might be nostalgic for those who loved this kind of music in 2000. Will younger people like the retro song? Hard to say. It seems to me that now there is a fashion for music similar to the 90s and 00s.

Top Bottom