Contact us

EUROVISION 2021 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

Preuss

Perhaps but I don't see what's so drastically changed after Montaigne's claim that she would basically be there

Well, let's see how it goes

Lance Esgard

Overseas travel from Australia is currently banned (except to New Zealand, from which travel to Europe is closed) without an exception being granted. It may be that Montaigne/the Australian delegation expected to get an exception but this was turned down, or is currently in doubt.

Very recently it came out that our vaccine rollout is slower than expected and perhaps that impacted on the travel exemptions process, as getting vaccinated beforehand certainly makes it easier to get an exception.

Hopefully this is still a moving situation or a misunderstanding. We want as many artists to be there in Rotterdam as possible.

Last edited:

Lance Esgard

Actually come to think about it, do you think an artist not being able to perform in the actual stage will hurt his/her/their chances of doing well in the televoting perspective?

I mean we know with an audience, a mood can be created and could somehow help to elevate the song especially for uptempos. Since the back-up performance does not appear to have a crowd in them, it could somehow make the performance looked "disconnected" from the other 'live' performances on the actual day of the competition.
I recall one artist (Switzerland?) saying they really hoped the back-up wouldn't be used as the artist did not think their vocal performance there was the best.

As the back-ups were recorded well in advance of the show, it is possible that with less rehearsal time one or more artists may have a worse vocal performance, potentially impacting them with the jury and/or televote.

Numerous artists have said their back-up performance is considerably different from their live one in terms of staging due to differences in what was possible in the space compared to Rotterdam (differences in local laws may affect what is possible in terms of live dancers, for example) or because their staging wasn't finalised by the time of the recording.

Eurovision performances take time to get ready and having to get it ready months earlier than normal could definitely affect delegations.

So even without the audience being a consideration other factors have an impact.

ekzuu

I think everyone should go... At this point we have many measures to avoid spreading the infection. Sport is working, we have sport competitions so I think ESC could be organized similarly. Testing before and after and everyday, maybe mandatory quarantine for some days etc; like an Eurovision bubble. Also, it's not like nobody can travel, people who need to travel due to work or people who have important reason can still travel, airplanes fly... And Eurovision is important enough to let the performers travel and represent their country. So I could see people not going because government forbids, doesn't give permission etc (although I think it would be stupid, it's about representing your country in biggest TV show), but I wouldn't get if artists themselves give up on going (unless they're sick with covid)...

I don't know how it will impact the results, maybe for some it's better since to make a back-up performance they got 1 hour and they can use their own TV studio tricks, you maybe couldn't do at Ahoy, also there's less stress, because it's not live so the vocal performance could be better than it would be in Rotterdam (maybe for Montaigne it's better then, idk), but otherwise I think it mainly harms the act to not be able to go live, as interviews would probably be also via Zoom or prerecorded (we saw how it worked at Melfest with juries) and that might give a bad impression. It depends on quality of the prerecording I think.

empo21

Veteran
While San Marino isn't exactly at the top of the odds, but could she mean them. It's a more fitting song for Dinah and sounds more Mello than Je Me Casse and El Diablo.

Also, the thought of Senhit pulling an Efendi on Sweden is just *chef's kiss*

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
Copying from my post in the Malta Thread:

You can easily google the composers of a song and only in „Je me casse“ there is a Malin involved (with another surname but could be an alias).

It’s no surprise though; Malta has always been Swedish composers on board for the past decade. I thought it was a Björkman thing, trying to sell „his“ songs to any small country like a Ralph Siegel but seems as if the tradition goes on.

Expect jury votes for Malta incoming... 😂

Iker

Veteran
Copying from my post in the Malta Thread:

You can easily google the composers of a song and only in „Je me casse“ there is a Malin involved (with another surname but could be an alias).

It’s no surprise though; Malta has always been Swedish composers on board for the past decade. I thought it was a Björkman thing, trying to sell „his“ songs to any small country like a Ralph Siegel but seems as if the tradition goes on.

Expect jury votes for Malta incoming... 😂
I can totally see Malta winning the jury vote this year.

Luffy

Go_A have just said in the Radio NV interview that a few performers have already notified the producers that they will stay at home. They revealed :au: Australia is among them.

Nooo. Poor Montaigne. And Poor Rotterdam.

Can you imagine waiting more than four decades and no one will be able to enjoy the show because of a pandemic.

Same for the artists. Whatever the result, it's supposed to be a once in a lifetime experience.

This is devastating.

guusbok

Hi Eurovision friends!

And now for some positive news, we just released the (unofficial) Eurovision Anthem 2021 'Open Up' on Spotify!

And just a second ago, I released the music only video on Youtube as well. Here you go:

I hope you enjoy it, while getting in an even better mood (if possible) for Eurovision!

- The official music video will be released april 20th! I will post more on that in the dedicated Duncan Doubled thread!

Last edited:

Mimmon

Veteran
Hi Eurovision friends!

And now for some positive news, we just released the (unofficial) Eurovision Anthem 2021 'Open Up' on Spotify!

And just a second ago, I released the music only video on Youtube as well. Here you go:

I hope you enjoy it, while getting in an even better mood (if possible) for Eurovision!

- The official music video will be released april 20th! I will post more on that in the dedicated Duncan Doubled thread!
Im pretty sure this needs to be a interval act for Semi Final 1 opening
Would be amazing tho

Lance Esgard

Nooo. Poor Montaigne. And Poor Rotterdam.

Can you imagine waiting more than four decades and no one will be able to enjoy the show because of a pandemic.

Same for the artists. Whatever the result, it's supposed to be a once in a lifetime experience.

This is devastating.
Going off what Dadi said in his Wiwibloggs interview, any artists that have to stay home instead of getting to actually perform in Eurovision may then consider coming back some other year down the road so they actually have a proper Eurovision experience.

Zeus

He always thinks he is funny, but he is really not. Problem most of the radio-DJ's seem to have. Probably going to watch it on Belgium TV.

mauve

Veteran
First pictures of the Ahoy Arena:

6FC87B92-B953-4778-B734-9EC52B0AF126.jpeg

Some others:

mauve

Veteran
4 more participants confirmed for PrePartyES. The list now is:

• Montaigne (Australia)
  • Efendi (Azerbaijan)
  • Hooverphonic (Belgium)
  • VICTORIA (Bulgaria)
  • Albina (Croatia)
  • Barbara Pravi (France)
  • Jendrik (Germany)
  • Lesley Roy (Ireland)
  • Samanta Tina (Latvia)
  • Destiny (Malta)
  • Rafal (Poland)
  • The Black Mamba (Portugal)
  • Vasil (North Macedonia)
  • Senhit (San Marino)
  • Hurricane (Serbia)
  • Go_A (Ukraine)

Elina UA

• Montaigne (Australia)
  • Efendi (Azerbaijan)
  • Hooverphonic (Belgium)
  • VICTORIA (Bulgaria)
  • Albina (Croatia)
  • Barbara Pravi (France)
  • Jendrik (Germany)
  • Lesley Roy (Ireland)
  • Samanta Tina (Latvia)
  • Destiny (Malta)
  • Rafal (Poland)
  • The Black Mamba (Portugal)
  • Vasil (North Macedonia)
  • Senhit (San Marino)
  • Hurricane (Serbia)
  • Go_A (Ukraine)
I'm so, so in love with all the participants this year. xlove Everyone in my home hates them already. xcheer

Top Bottom