Contact us

EUROVISION 2021 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

mauve

Veteran
That's just so sad. So I guess in case of Australia they choose the back-up videos then? I hope not more acts will have to go that way ... :(

AlekS

Veteran
As an optimist I hope it's a mess misunderstanding on our part xbeach
But realistically speaking, with all the local restrictions in certain countries I saw that coming.
Australian entry is one of Katya's faves, I was hoping they would meet each other.

theditz83

Veteran
We were bound to have some people that couldn't travel, and with the media attention on celebrities travelling in and out of Australia while the general public are subject to continued restrictions on their movements into and out of the country, it would be hard for Montaigne to justify travelling to Rotterdam.

Definitely a sad day for the 2021 season - I think we were all trying to stay as optimistic as possible about everyone performing live in person at Ahoy Rotterdam in May :(

crashworld

Veteran
Actually come to think about it, do you think an artist not being able to perform in the actual stage will hurt his/her/their chances of doing well in the televoting perspective?

I mean we know with an audience, a mood can be created and could somehow help to elevate the song especially for uptempos. Since the back-up performance does not appear to have a crowd in them, it could somehow make the performance looked "disconnected" from the other 'live' performances on the actual day of the competition.

Iker

Veteran
We were bound to have some people that couldn't travel, and with the media attention on celebrities travelling in and out of Australia while the general public are subject to continued restrictions on their movements into and out of the country, it would be hard for Montaigne to justify travelling to Rotterdam.

Definitely a sad day for the 2021 season - I think we were all trying to stay as optimistic as possible about everyone performing live in person at Ahoy Rotterdam in May :(
Why though? I mean all she needs to do is some quarantine upon arrival?

theditz83

Veteran
Why though? I mean all she needs to do is some quarantine upon arrival?
Having effectively closed their borders, Australia has kept themselves very isolated from the rest of the world, and while as you say quarantine is a possibility, I guess there is a moral argument that comes into play. I don't know, I just know from working in the travel industry throughout this pandemic that of all the countries due to participate in ESC this year, Australia was the one that might struggle with international travel.

But let's wait for official news I guess. We'll still get to see the on-tape performance at least, it's a good thing EBU planned for that xup

Iker

Veteran
Having effectively closed their borders, Australia has kept themselves very isolated from the rest of the world, and while as you say quarantine is a possibility, I guess there is a moral argument that comes into play. I don't know, I just know from working in the travel industry throughout this pandemic that of all the countries due to participate in ESC this year, Australia was the one that might struggle with international travel.

But let's wait for official news I guess. We'll still get to see the on-tape performance at least, it's a good thing EBU planned for that xup
But you cannot totally close your borders, some people just have to travel in and out of Australia like athletes etc.

Sure there are still obstacles until I guess most people in Australia get vaccinated but I would like Montaigne to perform live, ugh.

There is also a possibility that she or someone in her team is absolutely terrified by the prospect of possibly catching covid-19 while in Europe or even during their flight.

midnightsun

Veteran
To be honest, I was already sure we would not see all the artists live in May. Times are too uncertain and unsafe - I would be very surprised if all make it to Rotterdam. Of course it would be great but I think nobody has to be mad if not all going to travel. Safety first!

burrito

Go_A have just said in the Radio NV interview that a few performers have already notified the producers that they will stay at home. They revealed :au: Australia is among them.

Do we have any information what the other few are?

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
Actually come to think about it, do you think an artist not being able to perform in the actual stage will hurt his/her/their chances of doing well in the televoting perspective?

I do think so.
I was thinking regarding this about Irama in Sanremo : he had to isolate since a person from his team has been tested covid-positive so Sanremo decided to use his rehearsal video. It was a good move for sure, but that meant he had one only performance repeated throughout the contest. To play the song live several times is really good because you can improve throughout the performances by looking back each one. To have the exact same recording could be redundant for the casual audience, especially in a long course competition like Sanremo. That hurt his performance imo, because the song had everything to win it. (even if still love Maneskin)
It doesn't really apply to ESC since most people only watch the grand final obviously, but it's something we can have in mind.

Also yeah i think that seeing people in a different place could take the people out of the whole show and could perturbate them. I think that's why the lithuanian delegation made a stage with the same design and scale as the official one so the transition would seem flawless. Well, only The Roop and Jendrik made their back-up videos there lol. But it was a smart move.

Iker

Veteran
I do think so.
I was thinking regarding this about Irama in Sanremo : he had to isolate since a person from his team has been tested covid-positive so Sanremo decided to use his rehearsal video. It was a good move for sure, but that meant he had one only performance repeated throughout the contest. To play the song live several times is really good because you can improve throughout the performances by looking back each one. To have the exact same recording could be redundant for the casual audience, especially in a long course competition like Sanremo. That hurt his performance imo, because the song had everything to win it. (even if still love Maneskin)
It doesn't really apply to ESC since most people only watch the grand final obviously, but it's something we can have in mind.

Also yeah i think that seeing people in a different place could take the people out of the whole show and could perturbate them. I think that's why the lithuanian delegation made a stage with the same design and scale as the official one so the transition would seem flawless. Well, only The Roop and Jendrik made their back-up videos there lol. But it was a smart move.
Why do you think that 'most people' only watch the Grand Final? On what do you base that assumption? I am compelled that at least people from countries in a specific semifinal watch it.

Flamenkax

In the swimming pool, always stayin' cool
Why do you think that 'most people' only watch the Grand Final? On what do you base that assumption? I am compelled that at least people from countries in a specific semifinal watch it.

My bad. You're actually right, i didn't really thought about that tbh.
I searched a bit and what i said seems to be a really "big 5" thing. For exemple, here in France, the semi finals are aired on the "small" public channel (France 4, which is every year on the edge of being deleted) while the final is aired on France 2, the leading one. Different channel, different audience share, y'know. Also tbh i personally wasn't aware of semis until three or four years.
So yeah on this assumption i may have been biased.

mauve

Veteran
More acts confirm the participation for PrePartyEs:

• Montaigne (Australia)
  • VICTORIA (Bulgaria)
  • Albina (Croatia)
  • Barbara Pravi (France)
  • Jendrik (Germany)
  • Lesley Roy (Irela Samanta Tīna (Latvia)
  • Destiny (Malta)
  • Vasil (North Macedonia)
  • Senhit (San Marino)
  • Hurricane (Serbia)
  • Go_A (Ukraine)

MartinF

Hey all! Hope this isn't too much like spamming for my first post on here (feel free to delete if so, obviously), but the site I do a bit of scribbling for has reached the final stage of its search to find the most gravely robbed national finalist of the 2021 season and I'm trying to get as wide a spread of opinions as possible in the public poll, so I thought I'd post it here for anyone who feels like flexing their voting muscles this evening! Here you go: http://www.escgo.com/2021/03/28/songhunt-2021-the-final/

MartinF

On a less promotional note: Terribly disappointing if the news about Montaigne (and others) mentioned above is true, but I suppose it doesn't come as a huge surprise, especially where Australia is concerned. Hopefully all the care we know they've been putting into the backup recordings will pay off and it'll all blend together into a relatively seamless show! Either way, it's cool that "our" ESC is at the forefront of finding ways of making these kinds of hybrid formats work one way or another. Very curious to see how it all works out in the end...

Preuss

I don't understand how Montaigne could claim that she was 99% sure that she was gonna be there then... it's just sad if she can't come over and compete

crashworld

Veteran
I don't understand how Montaigne could claim that she was 99% sure that she was gonna be there then... it's just sad if she can't come over and compete
Maybe Australia has changed their travel restrictions? I mean the virus is still very much around globally, rules and regulations keep changing. And doesn't The Netherlands still have pretty high daily figures for infected cases? So I'm not surprised if The Netherlands is one of the restricted counties to travel for Australia.

Top Bottom