Set me free
Set me free
Harmony
Don’t let me down
Just set me free​

Last edited by a moderator:

empo21

Veteran
Yeah what I said about yesterday's leak stands. I'm not digging the toned down chorus.

And those notes at the end (whistle I believe) I know they'll deliver them live, but I'm wondering how much of it will be with backing vocal/pre-recorder vocal help?

EscGeek

Veteran
It's a major revamp that kills the song for me too just like with Kemama. But apparently there are people who consider this version better, so maybe it is more competitive now? Even if musically feels more soulless.
i was actually referring to the uploading, removing and reuploading the music video :mrgreen:

but i do miss some of the elements of the old version, but it's not a big deal

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
This feels like a desperate attempt to salvage the turd of a song that is "Set Me Free" but nothing can make it shine, no number of revamps can make it reach the levels of "Feker Libi" for me. The screeching at the end is the last thing I wanted lol. Some eurofans might be happy with this as they only care for the voice of the artist, as if this is X-Factor.

I'm keeping my :5:

Pål Nordahl

Wow! They really made a mess of this revamp didn’t they. The phrase “less is more” comes to mind. Too many random elements thrown in without any thought for cohesion. Such a shame because I actually liked the original. Downgrading my rating to :4: points.

crashworld

Veteran
Not in the UK it ain't - and yet they've removed the original from UK Spotify, so I now have a gaping hole in the top 10 of my playlist. Get your shizz together Spotify. :(

Screenshot-20210326-205405-com-android-chrome-edit-1022367131180456.jpg

I guess it's the timezone difference? It's Saturday where I'm at. So likely you will get it once the day hits Saturday at your end? I realize new songs usually become available for me after midnight.

theditz83

Veteran
I guess it's the timezone difference? It's Saturday where I'm at. So likely you will get it once the day hits Saturday at your end? I realize new songs usually become available for me after midnight.
Fingers crossed!

Having listened to the video, it seems pointless in terms of a revamp. It's definitely polished things, but by doing that it's taken out a lot of the fun, frivolous nature that the original version had. And the chorus has been butchered also. My little dance that I do along to the chorus now makes no sense without the "oh, oh, ohs" - and for me, that was potentially the most memorable little hook from the whole song, that would've had the vague potential in the recap to stick in voter's heads. This "im'a im'a" like a lazy sample is just a hot mess and makes the whole seem way too hip and try-hard.

Poor Eden. This is a mess, and I'm gutted that she'll probably end up outside my Top 10 in the coming days :(

BorisBubbles

Veteran
To be honest, it sounds like nothing that they promised. Producers who worked on the song said, and I paraphrase, that it sounded nothing like the original, to a point it could be considered a completely different song. Instead, we got another "Ana is deeeeefinitely NOT singing a ballad" on our hands.

The song itself is fine. I've changed my vote from :4: to :5: because I already had promoted the original "Set Me Free" to that tier (and never bothered changing it until now because such is the lot of the mediocre.)

Still, this revamp did nothing to actually improve Eden's chances at Eurovision, rendering it completely pointless.

crashworld

Veteran
Fingers crossed!

Having listened to the video, it seems pointless in terms of a revamp. It's definitely polished things, but by doing that it's taken out a lot of the fun, frivolous nature that the original version had. And the chorus has been butchered also. My little dance that I do along to the chorus now makes no sense without the "oh, oh, ohs" - and for me, that was potentially the most memorable little hook from the whole song, that would've had the vague potential in the recap to stick in voter's heads. This "im'a im'a" like a lazy sample is just a hot mess and makes the whole seem way too hip and try-hard.

Poor Eden. This is a mess, and I'm gutted that she'll probably end up outside my Top 10 in the coming days :(

Oh well, a revamp is much needed to give the song the boost especially the reception has been so lukewarm. Perhaps, the direction they have gone for the revamp isn't ideal (although it's still subjective considering many people who disliked it before have now like it).

It is what it is, but at least they tried? I don't mind the revamp after listening to it multiple times. The revamp is not going to take away the fact that the original version exists which I can still listen to since I have a rip of that version. At the end of the day, it's only the ESC fandom who get to know there are different versions of the song. The casual viewers wouldn't know.

If the revamp has made the song become more receptive by the fandom as a whole and Eden is able to get some support out of it, it's still a good move and I can get behind it. But I do wish people can cut the song some slack. And I do feel that people are downrating the song because it's either not their favourite out of the 3 in the NF or it didn't live up to 2020 songs. If none of the 2 circumstances have happened, I'm pretty sure the song wouldn't be subjected to such harsh criticism.

For me now, it's more about Eden as a performer rather than the song itself. I'm buying what Eden is capable of selling, so even if the song is not the best, I'm still going to give her my support because that's what she deserves.

Last edited:

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
If the reactions to the song after the revamp are still harsh, then it's crystal clear that the song was never the problem to begin with. I still don't really know what problem the fans have against this song, but I think they are just scared that this entry might qualify instead of, let's say, Lithuania.

jatojo

I think the revamp is slightly better. But I'm against the concept of revamps in general. And Go_A's revamp should not have been allowed at all.

Israeliboy

If the reactions to the song after the revamp are still harsh, then it's crystal clear that the song was never the problem to begin with. I still don't really know what problem the fans have against this song, but I think they are just scared that this entry might qualify instead of, let's say, Lithuania.
Can't agree more. EXACTLY!

crashworld

Veteran

Lots of people are going to disagree with you. Or even "laugh" at the thought that "Set Me Free" will qualify instead of "Discoteque".

Personally, I feel the fandom in general is overly critical and borderline nitpicking and magnifying on the song's "flaws".
And that has to do with either their favourite from the NF didn't win or it didn't live up to 2020 songs.

If "Set Me Free" is performed by San Marino or Cyprus for instance, I bet it wouldn't get the flak it's getting right now.

VikingTiger

I was not a big fan of Set me Free. But actually after the first time listening to the revamp I like it better. Still far from making it into my top 10, but I think the revamp works better.
But not being a fan I really havent heard the "old" version more than just maybe 3 times all together, so I never got "used to" it. Maybe that is why I think this is an approvement.

crashworld

Veteran
I am looking at the comments for the revamp music video on youtube. There are so many Azeri commenting on the song.
I wonder if this is a sign that the song is going to do well with the Azerbaijan public. LOL!

CaveJohnson

I am looking at the comments for the revamp music video on youtube. There are so many Azeri commenting on the song.
I wonder if this is a sign that the song is going to do well with the Azerbaijan public. LOL!
Azerbaijan and Israel are like brother countries, so they always support each other.

Top Bottom