Contact us

Belarus BELARUS 2021 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

lacrymea

How can you misinterpret ''Without the past everything will be simpler. Rejoice, even if you feel angry''. Sorry but you literally have terrible instincts about this
I interpret it as what I wrote: a satire at their own people for following western culture (instead of their own, aka, their own dictatorship).

But I won't dwell on this crap anymore. No need to be salty.

FilipFromSweden

I interpret it as what I wrote: a satire at their own people for following western culture (instead of their own, aka, their own dictatorship).

But I won't dwell on this crap anymore. No need to be salty.
I think this is the perfect situation to be salty about an entry

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
I made an official statement on YT. This thread will stay open so you can discuss this but don't expect any additional coverage from us until further notice.
Well thia thread and poll shows more than enough of our community opinion

njdevils94

Veteran
This is my only comment. If the EBU has reasons to disqualify the song that is what they should do and force them to pick a new act and/or song. Barring them completely will have long term repercussions with many other Easter European countries down the line. By dq'ing the song it gives the EBU leverage of some sorts and backs BTRC into a corner if they have nothing else ready to send.

lacrymea

I think this is the perfect situation to be salty about an entry
I'm also salty about the situation. I think this is deplorable and has no place in Eurovision. I was just reading a different nuance in the lyrics, with basically the same outcome. So, we're on the same side of the barricade.

FilipFromSweden

Ehhh, without the brutally propagandistic lyrics it's just an average dad rock song...
Why do you feel like you should dissect the song and only judge parts of it and ignore what is uncomfortable?

BernadetteCydonia

Why do you feel like you should dissect the song and only judge parts of it and ignore what is uncomfortable?
I did not say it outright that I will only judge the instrumental and the way they're singing it, of course I'm judging the lyrics as well, and all combined ranks pretty abysmal for me in the final ranking of 2021, don't you even DARE to worry about it.

EscGeek

Veteran
The song was for sure in the "grey area", so i respect this decision. (like i said i would). Now the ball is in Belarusian court. :)

I'm still against the absolute ban of Belarus in the future. At least give them some warnings first.

Morpheus

Well done EBU!

Although it kind of made me roll my eyes when they said: "In addition, recent reactions to the proposed entry risk bringing the reputation of the ESC into disrepute."
Which I translated to "Oh noes, they hate this entry, and if we don't hate it too, we're gonna look so bad, you guys! They won't give us any moar money!"

But regardless, I'm glad they put their foot down.

A-lister

Veteran
This is what I've been trying to say all along, when we dare to speak up EBU actually listens but they shouldn't have allowed the Belarusian broadcaster this year in the first place. Like @Matt so rightfully states in his video, and which I also stated before, this is not about politics, it's about human rights.

But I see what the BTRC are doing here, and like I mentioned earlier it's Russia 2017 all over again and they are putting this shit out on purpose to trigger a ban from the EBU only to play the "victim-card" and cry about the "evil west". I can't believe EBU fell for that trap again.

vavera4ka

idk if it's "balls" per se, it's more of the reaction to media statements (thank you ESCUnited and everyone who stood by the people of Belarus) and maybe even fear that sponsors might pull out (like they did with IIHF tournament).
But hey, I'll take it. The right thing was done, do we care what was the motivation? I don't

A-lister

Veteran
Well done EBU!

Although it kind of made me roll my eyes when they said: "In addition, recent reactions to the proposed entry risk bringing the reputation of the ESC into disrepute."
Which I translated to "Oh noes, they hate this entry, and if we don't hate it too, we're gonna look so bad, you guys! They won't give us any moar money!"

Yeah, I mean I agree with the decision of EBU, but when they put it this way it feels like they only care because of outside pressure and that it will harm their reputation and not because they allowed this pro- human rights violations anthem from a human rights violating regime's propaganda channel in the first place... oh well I guess it's better than nothing but I would have wished for EBU to show more compassion xshrug

Mainshow

Veteran
Wow. Didn't expect this to happen.
I believe it's the better option - especially after all media showing solidarity and asking for a change.

I honestly don't want to see Belarus withdraw but I'm afraid they will send the same entrant but just change the lyrics a bit (which the EBU also demands/suggests)

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
In comes Lukashenko supporter ZENA to the rescue now then I suppose.

Well done EBU!

Yes, weird to include that in their statement. It's not about the reputation of Eurovision right now but the people of Belarus.

Top Bottom