You're in the wrong place, you're in the wrong place
Don't you ever dare to wear my Johnny Cash t-shirt​

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
With pleasure.

After more than 10 years in the band, on 10 October 2008, Arnaert announced she would leave Hooverphonic by the end of the year to pursue her solo career. [...] The reason to leave, as she stated in the press, was "simple and without (band) troubles. I wish other musical and artistic projects and I want to concentrate on my own music career".

And she failed at it. One of her most recent music videos has only 156K views in one year.

And what did she do exactly? The time has come for Hooverphonic to be relevant and get the spotlight again in Eurovision, she only knew how to be as relevant as them - return and shatter poor girl's Eurovision dream to replace her after Covid cancellation.

She smelled the chance and chased it after. How about Luka's hopes and dreams of being on the stage? If she had any ethics, and if she truly wanted to return to the band only because she changed her mind sincerely, she would have replaced her after their Eurovision road had ended.

But no.

That's actually not how it probably went. You're making it sound as if Geike imposed herself on Raymond and Alex and *selfishly* forced Luca out to gain fame for herself. That's simply not true.

"I left the band because I wanted a solo career" is the canonical explanation for Geike's departure, but it's a public secret that she couldn't develop her own creative talents under Alex's wings. They clashed, she left. End of.

This year, 2021, is the 10th anniversary of their legendary album "The Magnificent Tree". Geike and Alex got in touch, spoke about a possible collaboration to celebrate the anniversary and somewhere down the line it panned out to Alex inviting her back into the band. Luca did have to leave, but as given a record deal with a profilic label (I believe it was Warner Belgium, but don't quote me on that), so that she wasn't left out in the cold.

Now, I personally do NOT, at all, approve of the way Alex and Raymond kicked Luca out... but that's on them, not on Geike, thank you very much.

Besides, Geike did score a MASSIVE hit 2-3 years back in both Belgium and the Netherlands with this song:

So you can pretty much chalk up a guaranteed 12 points from the Netherlands for Geike alone (not that we weren't getting those anyway.... but... yeah)

Ezio

Veteran
@RainyWoods

Which Belgium entries you liked/loved a lot?

Hi, my name is not @RainyWoods, but my real life name begins with R and I love the woods, especially in the morning, at the bus stop.

So, here are my Belgian favourites, which are mostly recent songs, because I think Belgium used to suck a lot in the past.

1. 2013 - Love kills, and I am slayed
2. 2015 - Rhythm inside, should have won. Period!
3. 2017 - City Lights, could have won if the girl had more charisma
4. 2006 - Je t'adore, and I can't conceal it!
5. 1993 - Iemand als jij, nobody but you girl, are an everlasting fashion icon
6. 1998 - Dis oui, yasss!! Adorable!
7. 2020 - Release me, release my body!
8. 1973 - Baby, baby! Baby!!

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm

Lenny1993

Better than last year - but still not a sure qualifier. Will not make it on my playlist for Eurovision 2021.

Schlagerman1

Oh, much much better than last year. This has drama, attitude and a strong hook. Love the melody and the new/old singer fits me much more than last year. No idea how it will do, but damn, I like this. Well done! xmusic

Preuss

Very monotone, but it flows well. It's got a great hook and I think it's more competitive than "Release Me". I think this comes down to staging as they probably have a better stage presence than Blanche, Sennek, and Eliot whose stagings were also borderline atrocious

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
:12: - Personally, I think it's the best Belgian entry since 2004 - The more I listen to it (I'm already on my 6th spin), the more I adore it. Maybe it's even my favourite Belgium entry ever.

The verses are amazing, they catch your attention but I also believe that the chorus is great. Love the beat and how it ends. That Johnny Cash reference is great as well :D I would behave the same way if someone wears my Britney Spears shirts :D They are off limits!!!!!!

No, seriously, I'm blown away. I've got a new #1.

The vocalists
is 129839128391283912738123812738127383472846123746 times better.
"Release Me" was a high quality track as well but this one is ediger, more seducitve, more powerful and mature.

aef

Some might call this quality, from me it's a big fat NO. It seems like I can't stand their music at all, hate their new song as much as their song from last year. All in all it's just a very off-putting, monotone way of making music for me... :2: points for :be:! And for me it's still a safe NQ

rasmuslights

Veteran
:12: - Personally, I think it's the best Belgian entry since 2004 - The more I listen to it (I'm already on my 6th spin), the more I adore it. Maybe it's even my favourite Belgium entry ever.

The verses are amazing, they catch your attention but I also believe that the chorus is great. Love the beat and how it ends. That Johnny Cash reference is great as well :D I would behave the same way if someone wears my Britney Spears shirts :D They are off limits!!!!!!

No, seriously, I'm blown away. I've got a new #1.

The vocalists
is 129839128391283912738123812738127383472846123746 times better.
"Release Me" was a high quality track as well but this one is ediger, more seducitve, more powerful and mature.

I also can't stop listening to it, it just keeps pulling me back to it.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Ok i dislike this band for multiple reasons. Mainly their Salvadorian attitute to music and levels of self righteousness. The way in which they conducted their response to critics last year and the contest itself, and then more recently with binning of Luka. The delusions of Grandeur are real and do really make them bottom tier. That all said the song is MILESSS above Release Me. That was just a whole load of nothing that was going absolutely nowhere at all. They're lucky they got a 2nd chance as this is far superior in just about every way. I have to agree that the chorus is kind of a let down next to some solid verses but all round it's a very good offering from Belgium. I'm gonna give it 7 points. I like it, but I'm not excited over it.

PeteLouisThe2nd

I always was a massive fan of Hooverphonic, but they couldn't win me over with Luka as the lead singer for some reason. Maybe because she wasn't mature enough in her voice? idk. Anyways, i wasn't a fan of her vocals in Release me. I think she will do great as a solo artist tho. For me, it was Noémie Wolfs and, ofcourse, mighty Geike who always created the best Hooverphonic-atmosphere and vibe.

This is a very well produced entry and i think this will REALLY stand out in the first semi full of dancy pop songs.
The only concern i have with my country, is the staging. And i think that working with Alex isn't a simple thing to do as a stage director. Let's hope they can serve us quality on stage, cause that's what this entry deserves!

10 for now. But with BIG chances of becoming a 12.

marty

I like the chorus but in total it is a bit boring. It might make it into the final though. I am a bit disappointed. I give 5 points.

Ezio

Veteran

midnightsun

Veteran
I always was a massive fan of Hooverphonic, but they couldn't win me over with Luka as the lead singer for some reason. Maybe because she wasn't mature enough in her voice? idk. Anyways, i wasn't a fan of her vocals in Release me. I think she will do great as a solo artist tho. For me, it was Noémie Wolfs and, ofcourse, mighty Geike who always created the best Hooverphonic-atmosphere and vibe.

This is a very well produced entry and i think this will REALLY stand out in the first semi full of dancy pop songs.
The only concern i have with my country, is the staging. And i think that working with Alex isn't a simple thing to do as a stage director. Let's hope they can serve us quality on stage, cause that's what this entry deserves!

10 for now. But with BIG chances of becoming a 12.

I preferred Luka‘s voice.
Geike‘s voice got a lot of technical support. It doesn’t sound like herself anymore.
Luka‘s voice was more raw imo. Funnily she seemed more mature than Geike. The sound would fit her voice better than Geike‘s. But that’s just my personal opinion.

„The wrong place“ sounds more British/Scandinavian so maybe they hope to win the large Eurovision market there over.
Not sure it will work. It’s not very Eurovision, which is something good, but is it good for the majority of the audience? We will see. I hope they will qualify but I really doubt they will.

Mrm

Veteran
This is very, very interesting proposal..
It is so non ESC and non festival actually, that I can see problem for it unfortinatelly regarding results, and maybe the staging..
I personally like it a lot and see it's qualities...and I prefer it to Belgium 2020..
Really curious now about the staging and it's fait in the end.. :)
I need few more listens in order to rate it in the poll..

Looren

Veteran
Well it would've been way better with Luka, actually "Release Me" was way better that this IMO

Now I give it a :4: and it can be my last so far

Sammy

Veteran
I‘m underwhelmed. It starts off very promising, it builds up, you expect something really good, you wait for it, you wait for it, the tension is rising. The song is finished. That‘s a musical coitus interruptus.

Top Bottom