Don't you ever dare to wear my Johnny Cash t-shirt

You're in the wrong place, you're in the wrong place
Don't you ever dare to wear my Johnny Cash t-shirt​

Last edited by a moderator:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
Oooh now this is good. Not quite "I'm now naked cause this song has just blown my clothes off" levels of good, but close to the next best thing. It's dripping in quality. I REALLY like the guitar on this. I just wish the chorus wasn't so bright if that makes any sense. In the verses you could be travelling to Silent Hill almost, at least the pre chorus gives me that feeling. It's eerie but then the chorus wimps out for the most part.

I can understand your Nicole Atkins comparison @lavieenrose. Wouldn't sound too out of place on Mondo Amore.

I think Release Me was the better song if I'm being entirely honest, but I never fully connected with it because of the vocals. Geike's voice is much more my thing. The Wrong Place is not bad in the slightest. I'll give it a solid :8: for now, allowing it the chance to grow on me some more. Last year was good and this year is good. This is the first returning artist (different singer, I know) that I pretty much feel the same about this year as I did the previous one. Not complaining as both songs have been solid offerings. Well done Belgium.

HayashiM

Veteran
Did not fell in love on the first listen, but it's a grower. I appreciate the rawness and they absolutely nail their dark atmosphere.

For now, it's an :8:.

("...all we did was fuck" will probably need to get altered for the liveshow I presume?)

Last edited:

MooseShoes

Three listens in and I'm giving this a :10:!

I can kind of see what people are saying about the chorus, but I reckon it will be more impactful live. Also, it definitely gets better with each listen, but I don't think that'll be a problem as long as the staging is decent. Please Belgium, don't balls it up like with Eliot and Sennek! (Yes, both broadcasters should hang their heads in shame!)

ps. On the subject of Eliot's staging, can we have a ban on the Massive Tribal Drum prop, please?

BorisBubbles

Veteran
fight, honey. she's singing fight, not fuck.

Anyway, Lyrics-Translate has them, but they're incomplete so I filled in the gaps they missed.

Ali_

Really enjoy this (not sure if that's the right word for a song which contains a amputated head but you know what I mean....). Ill be adding it to my own playlist but how it'll fare on the Eurovision stage I'm not sure

HayashiM

Veteran
Ok, just read the lyrics with the "fight" and it's recognisable in the second chorus. In the first one, I'd say her pronunciation is very ambiguous :) (for a person who hasn't read the lyrics at the very least :) ).

Mrm

Veteran
@RainyWoods

Which Belgium entries you liked/loved a lot?

theditz83

Veteran
I don't get how so many songs nowadays have these excellent verses that completely hook you in, but then you are left desperately wanting more when the sub-par chorus kicks in. So annoying.

Anyway, this is INFINITELY better than the awful dirge from last year. Like the beat and overall feel on the song, and I think people have already commented on how this one should stand a decent chance of standing out with the section of semi final :be: is in. I'm going for a :6: for now (:8: is the highest I've given out so far this year, so that's a decent score for now). Potential to grow xup

Brandt

Care to elaborate? :)
With pleasure.

After more than 10 years in the band, on 10 October 2008, Arnaert announced she would leave Hooverphonic by the end of the year to pursue her solo career. [...] The reason to leave, as she stated in the press, was "simple and without (band) troubles. I wish other musical and artistic projects and I want to concentrate on my own music career".

And she failed at it. One of her most recent music videos has only 156K views in one year.

And what did she do exactly? The time has come for Hooverphonic to be relevant and get the spotlight again in Eurovision, she only knew how to be as relevant as them - return and shatter poor girl's Eurovision dream to replace her after Covid cancellation.

She smelled the chance and chased it after. How about Luka's hopes and dreams of being on the stage? If she had any ethics, and if she truly wanted to return to the band only because she changed her mind sincerely, she would have replaced her after their Eurovision road had ended.

But no.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Great entry, i hope live will not be dissapointing. İ like it when the song doesnt scream 'for Eurovision' composed

You don't have to worry about vocals let me tell you that. they are also known to be perfectionists + they have great style so I'm sure the staging will be at least decent if not great, but do expect something simple. :)

Ezio

Veteran
I don't want to pretend I like this, so I don't do it.

The intro sounded promising but then it went nowhere, although there are some disharmonious surprises, which are more irritating than amazing. It reminds me of something the Cardigans or Goldfrapp would have rejected in 1999 or a filler song on "Cruel Intentions" (Original Movie Picture Soundtrack).

With a lot of help from juries, it could go into the Top 10, but I'd rather expect it to not quality at firsten listen. Sennek posed a bigger threat in 2018 than this, in my humblest of opinions. Sorry Belgium, you are very dear to my heart, since we Austrians ruled over you for many years and built great castles in your country. But that won't help you in Rotterdam :-(

4 points for now, because the song is not horrible.

Top Bottom