Reach up to heaven
To you

I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
Yeah I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
And I'm still not sure
What you ever saw in me

No, I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
Tryna fly, but I'm not able, so
Just let me go (I'm a, I'm a fallen angel)
'Cause no matter where my heart is
There's no way I'll ever
Reach up to heaven
To you​

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Oh yeah, caveat: of course the song also mattered. But TIX winning over KEiiNO was an excellent example of predisposition - if you like an artist going in, you are already more likely to approve of their song. This happened with Tix (Norwegian voting public), but also with KEiiNO (Eurofans).

It really did come down to a majority rules scenario and that was interesting to pick apart.

HayashiM

Veteran
"KEiiNO had already lost by then, and nobody had realized it." well, it depends on what do you mean by "by then" and "nobody". It became pretty clear pretty quick (in a matter of days) Tix would be a serious threat, once his song steadily kept doubling the views of Monument's, and especially since everyone knew how big a star he is anyway. I even remember you half laughing about the prospect of him winning on the night of the finals. I think you underestimated him. Many of us were very afraid of exactly this scenario (or in some cases looking forward to it) weeks before the last show.

Another question is, what is NRK's ultimate goal? Because if it is viewership in May, like it probably is in BBC's case, they could actually be super happy about sendind Tix, independently of their odds. So, even if they did try to build hype by having the first show contain all eventual heavyweights, and even if we assume they did try to rig things for KEiiNO, it's possible they knew very well what they were doing with Tix all the time and were always happy with him winning as well.

Last but not least, I don't really see that much case for thinking NRK indeed tried to rig things specifically for KEiiNO. The televote-only approach got adopted last year already (even though they screwed up and had to use a backup), it wasn't a new thing this year. And every other argument I see in the article can very well be also be interpreted as "NRK trying to rig it for Tix, who is their actual favourite all along".

BorisBubbles

Veteran
> I am specifically refering to the fact that Tix's victory was basically already decided by that point, which is something most people outside of Norway weren't aware of. Many were blindsided, others were dreading the Tix win, yes... but all of these people also thought KEiiNO still could win at that point. Which, with the events NRK themselves had set in motion, was no longer possible.

> NRK's goal is the same as that of most participating broadcasters. They want to win Eurovision, or at least produce a contender for the victory. 'Ut av Morket' is not something that can win Eurovision. I genuinely believe NRK was attempting to make KEiiNO win, while simultaneously making as many kronor as possible from using a big name such as Tix to lure in as many votes as possible. This is circumstantial but indirectly supported by Heat 1's line-up containing Jorn and Blåsemafian, two other renowned acts that would draw in voters. The Wildcard round would then be able to recycle one of them, adding to what they assumed was a star-studded line-up.

I mean it worked, NRK got the exact finale line-up they wanted. Just not the winner they wanted.

> Televote only benefits KEiiNO because international juries are notoriously untrustworthy and their votes can be easily mistaken as production riggage (see: Austria's jury panning Dotter in melfest). Remember, Tix's song was originally in Norwegian. A song in Norwegian hadn't won MGP since "Alvedansen" in 2006. The translation into 'Fallen Angel' was allowed by NRK because I think by then NRK had realized that Tix would indeed win (and they should have been aware of it by then, considering how completely unsurprised the Norwegians here were when he did), and wagered that when he would win, a song in English stands a better chance in ESC than one in Norwegian given the acts he will have to compete against in semi 1 (a very competitive line-up indeed).

Does this make sense to you?

Ezio

Veteran
Why do I always keep losing my text before I can send them on this forum? Which button should I not touch while writing? I don't get it. It drives me crazy. My poor text!!

Ezio

Veteran
But I came here to praise the front page editorial. Really well written. Glad to see a rigging game blow up.

Tix' song is still superior to me, because it gives me godly intervention realness. Depending on where you are coming from, you may like or prefer "El Diablo". lol

I am heavily overdosed on Tix' discography and heavily startruck. I love this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7TfP5nUMek

I didn't need a dictionary to get the song title - Tausend Tränen.

With Tix singing Norwegian, I grasp a lot of meaning without having learnt vocabulary.

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Yeah, my main gripe with Tix (as a person) is that he's repping Norway with his worst song to date. Then again so did Loreen, Dami Im, Abba, Céline Dion, Laura Tesoro, etc... So much talent and he enters with *that*. Bah.

Ezio

Veteran
I didn't care for Tix as the Norwegian superstar of whom I was completely unaware of. I stanned his song first, now him as an artist second.

MalagaToledo

Banned
Yeah, my main gripe with Tix (as a person) is that he's repping Norway with his worst song to date. Then again so did Loreen, Dami Im, Abba, Céline Dion, Laura Tesoro, etc... So much talent and he enters with *that*. Bah.
How can anyone compare Ticks with legends such as celine dion, loreen, Abba.. well, maybe he is legend in norway. I don't know, untill now I've never heard of him. Also, dami, Loreen "weren't repping their country with the worst song. So this comparation doesn't make much sense.

Iker

Veteran

Except that Dami Im has entered with her only good song. Everything else she has recorded (that I have come across) was so extremelly forgettable and unimpressive.

HayashiM

Veteran
> I am specifically refering to the fact that Tix's victory was basically already decided by that point, which is something most people outside of Norway weren't aware of. Many were blindsided, others were dreading the Tix win, yes... but all of these people also thought KEiiNO still could win at that point. Which, with the events NRK themselves had set in motion, was no longer possible.

> NRK's goal is the same as that of most participating broadcasters. They want to win Eurovision, or at least produce a contender for the victory. 'Ut av Morket' is not something that can win Eurovision. I genuinely believe NRK was attempting to make KEiiNO win, while simultaneously making as many kronor as possible from using a big name such as Tix to lure in as many votes as possible. This is circumstantial but indirectly supported by Heat 1's line-up containing Jorn and Blåsemafian, two other renowned acts that would draw in voters. The Wildcard round would then be able to recycle one of them, adding to what they assumed was a star-studded line-up.

I mean it worked, NRK got the exact finale line-up they wanted. Just not the winner they wanted.

> Televote only benefits KEiiNO because international juries are notoriously untrustworthy and their votes can be easily mistaken as production riggage (see: Austria's jury panning Dotter in melfest). Remember, Tix's song was originally in Norwegian. A song in Norwegian hadn't won MGP since "Alvedansen" in 2006. The translation into 'Fallen Angel' was allowed by NRK because I think by then NRK had realized that Tix would indeed win (and they should have been aware of it by then, considering how completely unsurprised the Norwegians here were when he did), and wagered that when he would win, a song in English stands a better chance in ESC than one in Norwegian given the acts he will have to compete against in semi 1 (a very competitive line-up indeed).

Does this make sense to you?

Sure, televote only clearly benefits KEiiNO. However Norway got rid of the juries already last year, so their repeated absence cannot be anyhow linked to NRK supposedly rigging it for Monument...

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Sure, televote only clearly benefits KEiiNO. However Norway got rid of the juries already last year, so their repeated absence cannot be anyhow linked to NRK supposedly rigging it for Monument...
Not just that, Hay. NRK chose prequalifiers that would not be able to possibly beat KEiiNO or Tix in a televote. They were always going for that showdown. Putting a Jorn through for instance might have jeopardized that.

It's not rigging in the sense that they were adjusting numbers. The decision that was being made was entirely, 100% valid, clean and democratic. But even a staunch Monument supporter such as I cannot deny that KEiiNO were their pet favourite and definitely benefited the most from the format they were employing. NRK were using subliminal suggestion and did it rather cleverly. They almost got the outcome they wanted, but underestimated Tix's fanbase. Hence why it's a cautionary tale for other NFs. Most NFs do this, and do it more conspicuously than Norway (Estonia for instance are VERY notable for their absolute incompetence when it comes to rigging out the televote pets xheart), but they can definitely draw lessons from what transpired at MGP.

I secretly admire NRK's delightfully subtle machinations but I'm also highkey gleeful that it all crumbled apart at the last minutexheart hubris fails xheart )

Last edited:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Except that Dami Im has entered with her only good song. Everything else she has recorded (that I have come across) was so extremelly forgettable and unimpressive.

Uh yeah no. "Gladiator" was MY summer of 2014 (that and 'Round and Round' by Tinkara Kovac), I WILL NOT HAVE IT ERASED!!!!

(also "Sound of silence' is a dreadful song, the ONLY reason why I like it is because I had already pledged myself as a loyal soldier of the DAMI ARMY, and I'm obliged by contract to like her on impact.)

MalagaToledo

Banned
"KEiiNO had already lost by then, and nobody had realized it."

Another question is, what is NRK's ultimate goal? Because if it is viewership in May, like it probably is in BBC's case, they could actually be super happy about sendind Tix, independently of their odds.
Good question... If they wanted win on ESC they would have send keiino. If they wanted Good ratings in norway regardless if they even have chance to qualify anymore, then they would abolish jurry and would send tix which they did.

I would choose keiino if i see potential on that song. If they have won televote with spirit in the sky, then this is pretty sure done deal. If it ain't broken,why fix it. But, ok .. only months will tell if Norwegians will regret wasted opportunity.

Elina UA

hi I wrote something.

xroflxrollinglolOh, boy, I don't even know where to start.

The title must be Why KEiiNO failed: a bunch of conspiracy theories.
What are you even talking about? So, you are stating that famous artist with active fan base on Internet who enters televote selection can lose? So, you are stating Ellie Goulding would lose to a bunch of nobodies in the UK? So, you are stating NRK are stupid foolish brainless simps?
Boy, when he auditioned for MGP they knew he would win. Accept it.
And then they milked audience with other shows.
That's it.
Or he's not Norwegian Ellie Goulding and then you have to admit that the song won, not the name.xdance2

P.S. KEiiNO lost because they were worse. Not everything is about KEiiNO.

Iker

Veteran
Uh yeah no. "Gladiator" was MY summer of 2014 (that and 'Round and Round' by Tinkara Kovac), I WILL NOT HAVE IT ERASED!!!!

(also "Sound of silence' is a dreadful song, the ONLY reason why I like it is because I had already pledged myself as a loyal soldier of the DAMI ARMY, and I'm obliged by contract to like her on impact.)
To be fair I was not the biggest fan of Sound of silence, but the chorus itself and the way she sung it definitely wowed me.

Preuss

Now that semi 1 is shaping up, I really think we will qualify

This year so far is really bland :cautious:

Jopi

Such a perfect couple in my current top 2xrofl

:no:Norway: I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
:ro:Romania: Don't bring yourself down

I like better my POWER COUPLE:

:no: Norway:
Shе's so far out of this world
No way I could ever bе with her
'Cause I know Heaven's your home
That's where angels belong.

:cy:Cyprus:
I fell in love
I gave my heart to el diablo.
I gave it up, because
He tells me I'm his angel.

Now that semi 1 is shaping up, I really think we will qualify

This year so far is really bland :cautious:
You are qualifying!!!

Realest

Didnt know that Ulrikke is that good in Uptempo-Songs.

Top Bottom