A million voices​

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrm

Veteran
Eric Saade's entry has some elements from:

:lol:

hijirio

Veteran
Came here to say that after all songs released, Mama Charlotte Perrelli is still my favorite of this year's MF.

Sweden doesn't deserve her.

• Fuego
Reactions: Mrm

Morpheus

No surprise in a country that didn't have any lockdowns or proper restrictions xshrug

But you do now, right?
In Finland we are going into State of Emergency on Monday for months. The whole country is shutting down. They have been making changes into our constitution in order to legally allow possible curfew if necessary.

Last edited:
For the moment I will only comment on the first two semifinals:

FIRST SEMIFINAL:

1) Arvingarna - Tänker inte alls gå hem:

At the beginning I had a lot of expectations but, after 1 minute, I had to find that this song is monotonous. The only emotion you get is to say "The song starts ... now!" however, the hope is ignored. It's a great song only if you intend to die with your veins cut in your bathtub...

Even if they have already represented Sweden at ESC (1993), they are too mature a group and consequently I don't think Sweden will focus on them (as happened with Stadio in Italy). If they win, since Mercury coincides with the constellation of Leo, I believe they will give way to someone else.

2) Danny Saucedo - Dandi dansa:

The style at first reminded me a little of Benjamin Ingrosso then a wink to the sounds of Justin Timberlake became clear to me. All in all it's a nice dance and the singer has some personality but it's not the best catchy song to take to the ESC.

3) Paul Rey - The Missing Piece:

Typical beautiful song that is put in the repechage to keep the suspense high in the audience. "The Missing Piece" has sentiment and a good sound. I like it. But... will Europe understand and appreciate it? If Lundvik failed who had a much more powerful song, "The Missing Piece" is bound to run aground against a wall of dissatisfaction.

4) Lillasyster - Pretender:

Same consideration as "The Missing Piece", typical beautiful song that is put in the repechage to keep the suspense high in the audience.

In any case... Burning flames! Lillasyster is the exact opposite of TIX: the devil against holy water. For me, "Pretender" is the bravest song of the first semifinal. I can see power and a soul and when I can grasp this the song is a winner. I really liked Lillasyster's voice and I believe that his sound has nothing to fear from the Finnish "Dark Side": he manages to differentiate himself, to have an identity. If I had to give a winner at the moment, it would be Lillasyster with "Pretender". It would be the best choice for Sweden.

SECOND SEMIFINAL:

1) Anton Ewald - New Religion:

Anton is the simple "girl-catcher" singer (the one that record companies focus on every 10 years). Disco sound that might be intriguing but ... it's nothing new. "New Religion" would be shredded by the "masterpiece" (according to some eurofans... not me...) which takes the name of "Discoteque". Anyway, I have to congratulate Anton because he has an excellent stage presence.

2) Dotter - Little Tot:

After a year I return to listen to Dotter and I must say that it was not easy at all ... "Bulletproof" has left indelible scars on me. The terrible notes and the chorus thundered in my mind on every occasion ... in the shower, while watching the sunset, when I was driving and also ... in the supermarket in the deli...

"Bulletproof?"
"What?"
"Bulletproof?!... sir, do you want more?!!"
"Ah no... that's okay"

When I left the supermarket I stopped to admire a beautiful baby in a pram and I asked his mother what his name was ... she replied "Bulletproof"... suddenly I ran away screaming. What a horrible experience... hallucinating!

After this prologue, I don't like "Little Tot". I hate sobbing songs ... also, "Little Tot" is pervaded by that cloying disco dance lyricism that, however modern, gives me a dated feel. Ultimately it's not a horrible song, I just don't like it.

3) Frida Green - The Silence:

Frida has a very sweet smile and a great voice (dare I say close to soul). "The Silence" is both delicate and enveloping at the same time. The atmosphere is magical, almost Celtic (for this reason it seemed more like the Irish ESC representative). I don't think he will win the Melodienfestivalen and in a way it's not the best choice for the ESC. "The Silence" would clash against musical cultures more skilled in creating poignant music.

4) Eva Rydberg & Ewa Roos - Rena rama ding dong:

The singers have a lot of energy and harmony. The song is pleasant but the style is "old school" so much so that I have renamed them "the Swedish Orietta Berti". Good but they will not win the Melodienfestivalen nor will they go to the ESC. However ... if in case Odin works the miracle of taking them to the ESC stage this is one of the songs that Rainy Woods would give 12 regardless. They would become his idols together with Serhat and Senhit!

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
I really don't understand why you are so worried about Sweden qualifying for the finals tbh. You can start being worried about it if maybe Perrelli suddenly wins Melfest :'D
Not worried really tbh, I think it would do us good to not qualify for a change so that maybe (probably won't happen but one can still wish) the MF team will finally revamp the selection. Actually Perrelli is one of the lesser evils in this selection...
No disrespect to @A-lister in any way, but I don't think he is worried, I think it's a bit of an exciting idea rather
I wouldn't call it excitement really, who really wants their country to fail? Obviously I don't want us to embarrass ourselves either, but yeah as I wrote I think there could be a silver lining in it and the cocky MF team might have to re-think a thing or two.

A-lister

Veteran
But you do now, right?
In Finland we are going into State of Emergency on Monday for months. The whole country is shutting down. They have been making changes into our constitution in order to legally allow possible curfew if necessary.
Not really we don't, there are some few restrictions but they aren't de facto restrictions just recommendations and nothing really happens if you don't follow them and majority seem to not care so xshrug

Anyways, this is a bit off-topic so I won't dig deeper into the tragedy of it all.

I bims

Veteran
Not worried really tbh, I think it would do us good to not qualify for a change so that maybe (probably won't happen but one can still wish) the MF team will finally revamp the selection. Actually Perrelli is one of the lesser evils in this selection...
Aaaah okay now I get were you are coming from. I always took it as being really overly worried :'D My mistake!
From that perspective I really get it. The quality drop in recent years is just sad. This year is so weak. There needs to be a change. New songwriters would probably be enough to raise the quality instantly.

But as long as one of the Big 4 take Melfest the typical "formular" will work and it will ensure the MF team that their way of doing it works fine.
If you want a NQ entry to inspire the MF team to change, you could drum up support for Perrelli to win Melfest :'D

Realest

Other Countries would kill to have at least one Song on MF-Level.

A-lister

Veteran
Big Bosnia energy xheat

Anyway, it seems that Dotter hype stopped, but it will probably be back for the final and I am not sure if I am going to join that train. xexcuseme I am not even sure who my main favourite should be.

Bosnia energy? Not sure what you mean? ;)

Well the media is hyping up Tusse and thus better entries like Dotter's getting "hyped-down"

A-lister

Veteran
Aaaah okay now I get were you are coming from. I always took it as being really overly worried :'D My mistake!
From that perspective I really get it. The quality drop in recent years is just sad. This year is so weak. There needs to be a change. New songwriters would probably be enough to raise the quality instantly.

But as long as one of the Big 4 take Melfest the typical "formular" will work and it will ensure the MF team that their way of doing it works fine.
If you want a NQ entry to inspire the MF team to change, you could drum up support for Perrelli to win Melfest :'D

Yeah that's my point, the MF team seem to have this attitude that they can fill 4 semis with crap but all it takes it "that one entry" to make top. 10 in ESC and then they're satisfied, mission accomplished, while I personally prefer a higher quality selection of songs, music that is more connected to our actual music scene and less of these MF-in-house songwriters and their dated visions.

A-lister

Veteran
Other Countries would kill to have at least one Song on MF-Level.
Well, maybe San Marino would, but I think most countries would do just fine without the "level" of songs MF has this year.

Yes there are countries that send worse stuff, but not because they are unable to do better but because of other factors.

Mrm

Veteran
Goosh, why Sweden likes this Arvingarna so much!? xcrazy

A-lister

Veteran
Goosh, why Sweden likes this Arvingarna so much!? xcrazy

Because they're one of the biggest dansband groups here and unfortunately many Swedes like that genre, they were generally big in the 90's and I guess people have nostalgia plus middle age and older women also need something to wet their pants to ... I wouldn't mind Casper myself either though, he's a DILF! xheat

Fluke

I just realised Tess Merkel's entry is cursed, because Melodifestivalen seems to have something against women wearing shiny plastic.... :unsure: I see a shock 5th-6th place coming.

Top Bottom