RainyWoods

Croak-kay
God Tier
Nadine - Cheguei Aqui

Amazing
Eu.Clides - Volte-Face
Sara Afonso - Contramão
Graciela - A Vida Sem Acontecer
Pedro Gonçalves - Não Vou Ficar (surprised I've placed this one so high but here it really pops and stands out + sexy sax)
Miguel Marôco - Girassol

Nice
Valéria - Na Mais Profunda Saudade
Karetus & Romeu Bairos - Saudade
Irma - Livros
Fábia Maia - Dia Lindo
Tainá - Jasmim
Ariana - Mundo Melhor

So-so
The Black Mamba - Love Is On My Side
Carolina Deslandes - Por Um Triz
Ana Tereza - Com um Abraço
Da Chick - I Got Music
mema. - Claro Como Água
NEEV - Dancing in the Stars (I'll need to see if I can adjust to his voice)
IAN - Mundo

Not Feeling
Joana Alegre - Joana do Mar

As expected, once again a quite lovely selection from Portugal. I expect a lot of these to grow after more listens. There was one song though that stood above the rest so magnificently for me, and that was Cheguei Aqui. I may have shed a small, unnoticeable by the human eye man tear. I would have liked some more variety though. Things feel extra soft this year. I enjoyed my time with the songs but they started to blend into one, which made it hard for some of them to stand out, as nice as they mostly were. That's why by the time I got to Não Vou Ficar, my ears perked up I guess.

Mrm

Veteran
@RainyWoods

Music of Graciela - "A Vida Sem Acontecer" is extremely interesting though!! xbow

MAD20

Just listened to all songs from my dear neighbour country and I must say it is a quite good NF though kinda bland overall.

I really enjoyed Graciela's song, "A vida sem acontecer", my winner for the moment, with Mema really close behind. I can also see myself rooting for Miguel, Karetus, Joana Alegre, IAN, Karetus, Miguel Marôco or Eu.clides. Even Black Mamba, Ariana and Ana Tereza could have a chance.

I'll have to give them a second listen and decide a bit better, but wow, very well done Portugal! xcheer

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Over the years this has always been - according to my taste of course - one of the most overhyped national finals and I hardly could relate to the songs in it. Obviously I appreciate that Portugal is showcasing their own identity in ESC, but in this case originality and authenticity doesn't really spell good entries for me. I did enjoy Cláudia Pascoal and Conan Osíris though. This NF is really no different, I like some songs, but overall too many songs have the same aesthetic, mood and slow vibe.

Lovely
Nadine - "Cheguei Aqui"
The Black Mamba - "Love Is On My Side"
NEEV - "Dancing In The Stars"

Charming
Sara Afonso - "Contramão"
Karetus & Romeu Bairos - "Saudade"
Eu.Clides - "Volte-Face"

Fine, I guess
Fábia Maia - "Dia Lindo"
Valéria - "Na Mais Profunda Saudade"
Carolina Deslandes - "Por Um Triz"
Miguel Marôco - "Girassol"
Mema - "Claro Como Água"
Joana Alegre - "Joana Do Mar"
Pedro Gonçalves - "Não Vou Ficar"
Tainá - "Jasmim"
Ana Tereza - "Com Um Abraço"

Meh
IAN - "Mundo"
Irma - "Livros"
Da Chick - "I Got Music"
Graciela - "A Vida Sem Acontecer"
Ariana - "Mundo Melhor"

"Cheguei Aqui" is a really lovely piece of Fado, not sure if it would be very competitive at ESC though, unlike "Love Is On My Side" who is a tad more accessible.

• Hatrið
Reactions: Mrm
Not wanting to dance anymore, but I must dance
giphy.gif

Saudade performed by Karetus & Romeu Bairos
Chegue Aqui performed by Nadine
Na Mais Profunda Saudade performed by Valéria
Joana Do Mar performed by Joana Alegre
VOLTE-FACE performed by EU.CLIDES
Claro Como Água performed by mema.
A Vida Sem Acontecer performed by Graciela
Girasol performed by Miguel Marôco
Contramão performed by Sara Afonso
Love is on My Side performed by The Black Mamba
I Got Music performed by Da Chick

Jasmin performed by Tainá
Dancing in the Stars performed by NEEV
Mundo performed by IAN
Por um Triz performed by Carolina Deslandes
Não Vou Ficar performed by Pedro Gonçalves

Com um Abraço performed by Ana Tereza
Mundo Melhor performed by Ariana
Dia Lindo performed by Fábia Maia
Livros performed by Irma

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Never got the hype for NEEV (not only on his esc attempt, but in any of his songs), so no surprise I don't like it as well.

I hate Tainá ever since she called """music from northeast brazil""" her 'guilty pleasure' (and just generalized a 9 state region with completely distinct traditional styles????) so fuck her. And her song is just another anavitoria/melim emulation, just th worst of the worst in brazilian music nowadays.

i appreciate the diversity of the black mamba in the lineup but it just screams flop in esc.

chill bop from karetus and perdi o norte queen mema are my faves. xcheer

Loindici

Veteran
As I'm listening...

IAN - Mundo: It's memorable and you got the hook easily. I might got a little turned off because her voice sounds like the Kagamine twins. The dubstep part though, unexpected.
IRMA - Livros: It's supposed to be good RnB, but i don't think this style of bass suits it - I prefere a simpler, deeper sub-bass. But still, it's a good RnB (will she collaborate with Ari Lennox someday?).
Ariana - Mundo Melhor: This is my stuff! Aside of the groove, Virgul knows how to enhance the experience by really putting the attention to the bass.
Sara Afonso - Contramão: This sounds like a typical Indonesian indie/jazz-pop music which is heavily popular for the past few years. I actually like it and really dig those orchestration arrangements, but I also grew to hate it because of the oversaturation of the genre in Indonesia.
Miguel Marôco - Girassol: SPRINGTIME! It's really fun, cheery, ups your mood instantly. The drums really pop and the uniquely reverbed-filtered electric guitar at the bridge. As ajayii said, lemme put a goddamn mark to this!
NEEV - Dancing in the Stars: Very soft and lush. The atmosphere and the unusual bridge distincts it from being a typical male ballad.
Ana Tereza - Com um Abraço: Her voice fits this, but the production... it doesn't giveit any energy. A deeper bass and an either richer strings or more pad layering might help this one.

Joana Alegre - Joana do Mar: I immediately though of 'Bardcore' when listerning to her song. The studio recording doesn't do justice, and I'm looking forward on its live version. Very anthemic, I'd say.
Pedro Gonçalves - Não Vou Ficar: Is this supposed to be 80s-inspired? I like it, it's mixing the old formula with a modern touch (and he did it correctly).
EU.CLIDES - VOLTE-FACE: I dig the production and the lusciousness. I'm more curious in the lyrics, it seems really dark instead of sexy.

Karetus & Romeu Bairos - Saudade: At first the opening sounds nice and as the dance kicks hit I disliked it. Gives me that Conan Osiris flashbacks.
Valéria - Na Mais Profunda Saudade: Is it classic fado mixed with orchestration? It's dramatic and well-arranged. Might be the juries' favorite.
Nadine - Cheguei Aqui: I immediately though of Isyana Sarasvati. Is this one is a classic ballad mixed with fado? It's a beautiful lullaby-like song.
Carolina Deslandes - Por um Triz: Nothing to hate here, it's gentle and tender and properly fits her. I'm a bit tired of it because Indonesia has an oversaturation of this kind of music, but I'd probably give a slack.
Fábia Maia - Dia Lindo: Still the same problem since this kind of music is an oversaturation in my country, but I think it's the weakest effort and it took a while to get to the chorus.
Graciela - A Vida Sem Acontecer: This is interesting. You got a downtempo at the beginning, and it steps up, and up, and up, and it blossoms into a full dance track and then finishes as a downtempo again. The music tells a story without a story, if that makes sense.
Da Chick - I Got Music: Is this supposed to be a guilty pleasure? It's actually groovy and it made my shoulders dance, but... okay what about we'll make it the official badass bish anthem of the festival? xqueenbitch
The Black Mamba - Love is on My Side: I love this and it gives me goosebumps. The vocalist's voice give it the texture it needs to be a sentimental song. I'd probably listen to it outside of the festival as well.
Tainá - Jasmim: Feel the verses are stronger than the chorus. It's like Raveena or Latanya Alberto, nice.
mema. - Claro Como Água: This is cool. I dig the arrangement and it's interesting from start to finish, and her voice reminds me of Orgesa, somehow.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Ok let me listen. x Lets hope Portugal isn't a disappointing steaming pile of nothing. I have hope.

Much xheat to be had

Quite Wonderful Alright

Karetus & Romeu Bairos – “Saudade”
NEEV – “Dancing In The Stars”

Decent Enough
Nadine – “Cheguei Aqui”
Valéria – “Na Mais Profunda Saudade”
Joana Alegre – “Joana Do Mar”

Pedro Gonçalves – “Não Vou Ficar”

Kinda Eh tbh
Fábia Maia – “Dia Lindo”
Miguel Marôco – “Girassol”
mema. –“Claro Como Água”
Carolina Deslandes – “Por Um Triz”
Da Chick – “I Got Music”
Graciela – “A Vida Sem Acontecer”
Ariana – “Mundo Melhor”

Some mess I don't want to hear again
Sara Afonso – “Contramão”
IAN – “Mundo”
Irma – “Livros”
The Black Mamba – “Love Is On My Side”
Eu.Clides – “Volte-Face”

Tainá – “Jasmim”
Ana Tereza – “Com Um Abraço”

Me before and after listening to these songs:

ertygffty.png

You know why do I even bother listening to FdC anymore? Each year i'm left feeling disappointed and my time wasted. I'd really love to enjoy a Portugese selection for once - this year is no different. While I found Saudade quite interesting and I enjoyed many elements of the song, and I can easily listen to Neevs song without forcing myself through and feeling tired by the end everything is just... there. As usual this selection is really not for me and gosh would it kill RTP to actually provide us with some form of variety in the NF? Ofc quality >> variety/quantity but there isn't even really that and i'm not even asking for a wide variety, just something uptempo and easy to listen to that isn't a dull voiced dated ballad or some werid alternative sleeping pill. At best we've got some midtempos and we have to live with it. All of you that are in a coma over this NF, I hope you enjoy. I probably wont post in here again till the NF winner is known or even Eurovision itself.

mauve

Veteran
Relistening the songs again, I have two standouts:
Nadine - Cheguei Aqui is my clear favorite, such a breathtaking song! This song coluld easily be in my top 5 in the end. My second song Pedro Gonçalves - Não Vou Ficar is a guilty pleasure as it is rather not such an original song. Would it have been sung in English, I probably hadn't liked it, I am not certain. But I love listening to it and wouldn't mind making it to ESC.

Looren

Veteran
Ranking after first listening :

Out of this world :

1. Valéria "Na Mais Profunda Saudade" : I got "Vida Minha"s vibes, masterpiece !

Amazing :

2. NEEV "Dancing In The Stars" : Oh man... such a beautiful voice and a heartbreaking song
3. Fábia Maia "Dia Lindo" : She has the voice of an angel, I got goosebumps

Very Good :

4. Nadine "Cheguei Aqui" : Beautiful voice and the song is really charming, I love how the song brings me to a new world
5. Carolina Deslandes "Por Um Triz" : Angelic voice and beautiful song xheart
6. mema. "Claro Como Agua" : It's soo sweet, I'm in love with it
7. Sara Afonso "Contramao" : Oh the guitar sound and this beautiful voice xheart

Good :

8. Joana Alegre "Joana Do Mar" : Ow this beautiful voice
9. Ana Tereza "Com Um Abraço" : This is lovely
10. The Black Mamba "Love Is On My Side" : Beautiful song, I have a little problem with the singer's voice but overall it's good !
11. Tainà "Jasmim" : I love her voice and really like the song
12. Karetus & Romeus Bairos "Saudade" : I enjoy this song, the voice of this guy is also interesting
13. EU.CLIDES "VOLTE-FACE" : I love his voice

Not Bad :

14. Pedro Gonçalves "Não Vou Ficar" : I enjoyed it
15. Ariana "Mundo Melhor" : It's not bad

Bad :

16. Graciela "A Vida Sem Acontecer" : Nice voice but bad song
17. IAN "Mundo" : I like her voice but really dislike the song
18. IRMA "Livros" : Same as IAN
19. Miguel Marôco "Girassol" : Too much uptempo for me

Very Bad :

20. Da Chick "I Got Music" : Must avoid this, it's really not my taste

aef

Saudade gave my expectations withe the first 1:20 min but it just went nowhere and was way too repetitive... I didn't listen to all the songs but there was no stand-out for me honestly...

Loindici

Veteran
From the numbers of YouTube views, the ones who might get some advantage in the public eye are... Pedro, Carolina, and NEEV.

Seems Pedro and Carolina are big names in Portugal, but what about NEEV?

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
From the numbers of YouTube views, the ones who might get some advantage in the public eye are... Pedro, Carolina, and NEEV.

Seems Pedro and Carolina are big names in Portugal, but what about NEEV?
it's definitely someone hyped among portuguese esc fans, as he always appears in fan contests and such. i don't think it's on par with carol's/pedro's names though.

Loindici

Veteran
it's definitely someone hyped among portuguese esc fans, as he always appears in fan contests and such. i don't think it's on par with carol's/pedro's names though.

If that's the case, I would count NEEV out and this might turn into a fight between Pedro and Carolina (for the public votes).

Don't know how to predict the juries' verdict, though. I think the semifinal judging is gonna be weirder and more biased if each semi is (reportedly) having only one jury :confused:

Thanks for the tip tho AQ!

EDIT: Oops, it seems like I excluded Karetus, and they even got more attention than Pedro. To correct my previous statement, it might be a fight between Carolina and Karetus, with Pedro possibly being a third contender.

Last edited:

mauve

Veteran
I'd be more than happy if Pedro won this NF. I really like his song ... and I hope he won't sing it in English cause then I am out ...:cautious:

debemaks

I'm not very hyped by Portugal usually but this year Karetus & Romeu Bairos - Saudade are straightforward far ahead of my personal preference.... ages ahead from anyone else. Catchy, intriguing sound, distintive guitars that reminds me to Portugal, moder sound and even though the text is quite repetitive, when the song ends, I play it once again....
Let's hope not the get the first disappointment of ESC and Portuguese will chose NEEV that can be a song brought by any country... no distinctive. (but... since when FdC is accepting song in english???:rolleyes:).

Loindici

Veteran
(but... since when FdC is accepting song in english???:rolleyes:)

Based on Wikipedia (alone), RTP have abolished the language rule for the 'fifth year in a row'. It just happens that most artists love creating their work utilizing Portuguese.

• Like It
Reactions: Mrm
Top Bottom