Contact us

Participants limit, WL - discussion

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
Participants limit and possible WL should be discussed more properly.

Should be any limit for participants?
Should we have WL?
What other options we can have to avoid this and let everyone to participate? (at least from the start when contest is not established)

Let's discuss it

Amir

Veteran
Since I only participated in WV here so far, this is the only contest I can compare to, so I personally think 32 participants is a pretty low number.
I think the number could be increased through the following options:

-multiple juries for one country, or

-depending on the number of participants we could introduce semi-finals here as well:
*2 semi finals like in WV
*1 semi final, which then would only make sense (or at least would make more sense) if we have automatic qualifiers, for example Top 10 from the previous edition or sth like that

I think it would make sense to keep the WL for the first edition so we can see how many more potential players we have and then make a decision on which option is the best

DaFlo

Banned
The whole concept of OM is to focus on the music. Less focus on the competition. The more songs we have, the less focus will be on them. Quality over quantity. We rather want a smaller active member roster than a bigger one with half of them not even posting in the section and not even listening to all the entries in full. Semi finals go completely againt that concept. All these suggestions will turn this thing into WV2.0. We don't need that, cuz we already have that over here. You can always take an Asian country there what's the issue with that?

Also we literally said we will observe and adjust the participant numbers in case, so I don't get why this thread is needed at this point?

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
The whole concept of OM is to focus on the music. Less focus on the competition. The more songs we have, the less focus will be on them. Quality over quantity. We rather want a smaller active member roster than a bigger one with half of them not even posting in the section and not even listening to all the entries in full. Semi finals go completely againt that concept. All these suggestions will turn this thing into WV2.0. We don't need that, cuz we already have that over here. You can always take an Asian country there what's the issue with that?

Also we literally said we will observe and adjust the participant numbers in case, so I don't get why this thread is needed at this point?
On one hand you are right, on other - you want a whole contests on the forum so you should think more wide about it than just 'we want small active group'. In that case you could just create a thread in Music forum 'Lets share Asian songs' or make a some private contest in conversation mode.

And i think such things as limits of participants and other global contest forming rules should be discussed and decided by everyone on creation stage. So i initiated that discussion

DenizESC

Banned
u literally specifically asked when Flo could get the participation thread up to me in private XD

I think we can all agree that since we already started an edition all upcoming rules can be implemented from at least OM2 on.

Uto

Veteran
Whole discussion seems a bit premature to me at this point, but I do think 32 countries is a fairly big number already and we could do with a semi if more people join. No one likes waiting lists I would assume.

Basing automatic qualifiers on scoring seems unreasonable to me. Might be absolutely logical for any competition to let results be a guiding light, but it kind of runs perpendicular to what OM is about I feel, where every edition should have more of a standalone feel to it. Could just give every contestant that joins a numbered ticket and simply run through the tickets by number then, skipping the host if he/she is supposed to go into the semis.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I like this contest not having semis. Semis are stressful and also potentially change the way we think about our entries. There can be that "does this have a chance to pass to the final?" question in our head. I'm looking forward to having that gone.

I think it was mentioned in another topic about people on the waiting list being able to temporarily take the place of someone either on a break or who hasn't sent an entry. That's a really good idea.

Before discussions about the number of participants takes place, we should really see how the first few editions of the contest go. Interest was surprisingly high, but then it's a new contest. Let's see what happens. Getting thirty two people to sign up to this is in itself impressive when you consider WorldVision contests these days hover around the mid forty number mark, and that's the whole world you can play with there.

Last edited:

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I'm afraid incorporating semis would just make it WV², while - correct me if I'm wrong - the aim of Orient Matsuri is to distinguish itself, to create its own identity. In this context, I don't think transposing the WV/NSC format would be beneficial. That's why creating a WL isn't ideal either.
I won't lie, I don't know what would be the best solution. Still, I would recommend to not be hasty here. We just started the first edition, let's see after the first "roaster" (5 editions) how things are going. The interest was surprisingly high, and I'm ready to bet the other reason aside from sharing Eastern/Asian music is the particular format OM seems to take. We wouldn't want to take that advantage away.
So far, only one more person showed interest. If after a while it is still there (both from people who want to join or the first 32 participants), then we'll adjust.

Last edited:

Gera11

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I personally enjoy semi-finals, it makes things more exciting and you have more exposure to the songs, having to vote (at least) twice. What's so original about not having semi-finals though? We already have a contest like that, FSC. Voting in huge finals are somewhat exhausting to be honest. This contest already has its own identity in being the only contest solely focused on that part of the world, no matter the size or format.

The number of 32 participants feels very limiting, but since we already started, I agree with @Edweis that we should continue in this format for at least five editions and see how big the waiting list gets until then.

Amir

Veteran
The number of 32 participants feels very limiting, but since we already started, I agree with @Edweis that we should continue in this format for at least five editions and see how big the waiting list gets until then.

Let’s see how many people will leave after the first battles begin after OM5 😂😂

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
I personally enjoy semi-finals, it makes things more exciting and you have more exposure to the songs, having to vote (at least) twice. What's so original about not having semi-finals though? We already have a contest like that, FSC. Voting in huge finals are somewhat exhausting to be honest. This contest already has its own identity in being the only contest solely focused on that part of the world, no matter the size or format.
I made my no-semi opinion known, but I didn't elaborate on the pro side. Like you said, big finals aren't ideal either, it doesn't mean will be more attentive to the songs than in semis. I'm so conflicted :lol:
That's why, let's see how things evolve, maybe we'll find another solution altogether.

PS : mentions seem to work !!! :eek:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Yes I think mine do also^ I've never been told they don't work and when I mention people reply. xthink

chontono

I absolutely despise the concept of semifinals because I am the one always staying at semis no matter what and I don't think it is fair for anyone. Besides, this contest should be unique in that and hopefully the music that provides, being more risky choices at least sometimes off the commercial overground. So, I really hope you keep it like a big music celebration and just let more time to vote if 32, 35 or whatever number is decided play in only one final show.

ferret

Question.
If a participant from the Waiting List cannot participate at least once in 5 editions, their country becomes free? :unsure: Or does it belong to him until he has played all 5 editions? Will I be able to take Egypt (as an example) after finishing 5 editions?

DaFlo

Banned
Question.
If a participant from the Waiting List cannot participate at least once in 5 editions, their country becomes free? :unsure: Or does it belong to him until he has played all 5 editions? Will I be able to take Egypt (as an example) after finishing 5 editions?
WL countries are free to take, the country is just a placeholder/preferred choice by the juror.

Top Bottom