Contact us

Hungary HUNGARY 2021 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

CPV4931

Come back with A Dal as your National Final again... used to be one of my favorite NFs

Sean

Admin
Staff member
I don't think A Dal did that well this year, so will be interesting to see if this is taken into account when discussing Eurovision next year.

Daybreak

Their government seems to be sliding even closer towards authoritarianism, what with those recent "emergency powers" given to Palpatine Viktor Orban, so I guess their return is not likely (and the Hungarians probably have more important things to deal with now)

• Like It
Reactions: Kaz

elanyvx

The AWS's guitarist says he is sad about Hungary's withdrawal from Eurovision, he thinks the country will return in the next year or two.
The interview is also available in English (in addition to Italian and Spanish).

ESC94

A comeback of AWS would be great too ... xlove

Please don´t be mad, but I didn´t like their entry in 2018 at all and was actually very surprised that soo many forum members thought this could end up in the Top 10 or even Top 5. xshrug

mauve

Veteran
Please don´t be mad, but I didn´t like their entry in 2018 at all and was actually very surprised that soo many forum members thought this could end up in the Top 10 or even Top 5. xshrug
It's actually one of my all-time fave entries. I still listen to it a lot! xheartxcheerUnfortunately there are not many rock and metal entries at ESC, but this is one of the best for me.

MalagaToledo

Banned
Hungary just implemented a law in which you cannot have 3rd gender or to change your Sex. Bye, bye Hungary in the near future. We will see u I assume in about 80 years when u get out of 17th century and enter 21 century.

#openup #inclusivity #diversity

MalagaToledo

Banned
The AWS's guitarist says he is sad about Hungary's withdrawal from Eurovision

Does it say anything if he is sad how lgbt community is treated in his country and what he as a famous person does to stop that and change it, especially since he participated in esc??

A-lister

Veteran
Their government seems to be sliding even closer towards authoritarianism, what with those recent "emergency powers" given to Palpatine Viktor Orban, so I guess their return is not likely (and the Hungarians probably have more important things to deal with now)

Being authoritarian or not doesn't stop countries from taking part in Eurovision... Russia, Belarus and Azerbaijan are all dictatorships and then there are a bunch of semi-democracies (worse than Hungary) and even countries like my own Sweden is not really a democracy in some true form...

If Hungary doesn't want to take part, that's not the reason.

I wish for them to come back though.

A-lister

Veteran
Hungary just implemented a law in which you cannot have 3rd gender or to change your Sex. Bye, bye Hungary in the near future. We will see u I assume in about 80 years when u get out of 17th century and enter 21 century.

What does that law have to do with taking part in Eurovision though? xshrug Also, it's not illegal to change sex, just that you are recognized by your sex of birth and "third gender" is just... no comments.. Anyways there are even countries where its borderline illegal to be (at least publically) gay and it's not stopping them from taking part in ESC xshrug

I would say more like 20th century up until 1990s in most countries in Europe though rather than 17th if we ought to be correct...

I think countries' local laws on certain "topics" have little to do with taking part in ESC or not, the only country thus far vocally taking a stand against ESC because of its "progressivism" (lack of better words) is Turkey.

Last edited:

Daybreak

Being authoritarian or not doesn't stop countries from taking part in Eurovision... Russia, Belarus and Azerbaijan are all dictatorships and then there are a bunch of semi-democracies (worse than Hungary) and even countries like my own Sweden is not really a democracy in some true form...

If Hungary doesn't want to take part, that's not the reason.

I wish for them to come back though.

I meant that if they pulled out of Eurovision due to the government's stance on LGBT, it's not likely they'd come back as long as this government is in charge. But yeah, having an authoritarian and homophobic government doesn't preclude a country from participating, Russia is an example.

To be fair, as A-Lister said, it's more like the 70's than 17th century. What we recognise as modern attitudes on LGBT rights started to catch on relatively recently even in the most liberal countries.

A-lister

Veteran
I meant that if they pulled out of Eurovision due to the government's stance on LGBT, it's not likely they'd come back as long as this government is in charge. But yeah, having an authoritarian and homophobic government doesn't preclude a country from participating, Russia is an example.

Is it really true they pulled out because of that though or is it just a myth that has been spread within the LGB and T communities of the ESC fanbase? But yeah, just as you say, it doesn't stop other countries with even "harsher" stances to take part. While I'm openly gay myself and acknowledge what this contest means to these communities, I am still very well aware that the vast majority of viewers of ESC are just casual viewers, many of whom are not gay or trans, and while I also believe that majority interested in Eurovision (even casual viewers) aren't the most politically "conservative" out there, many countries take part in this to show off themselves in music, which is in the end of the day the purpose of the contest, so while some want to make it an "LGB-T-fest", it's actually not (even if the communities are very integrated with the contest and vice versa)

To be fair, as A-Lister said, it's more like the 70's than 17th century. What we recognise as modern attitudes on LGBT rights started to catch on relatively recently even in the most liberal countries.

Yeah, and then it's just the start of it, the more mainstream acceptance of gay people and later transgender people came even later in even the most progressive parts of Europe so if we're talking laws, in some countries we would be already in the 21st century to see REAL change.

Last edited:
Top Bottom