Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

shameless

The winner wouldn't get to host next year tho'. :confused: It's one thing to wonder what might have been, but a whole other matter to know you won but get jack shit to show for it. :LOL: A pat on the back and a mention next year maybe, but the whole point of winning, putting on your own show, is taken from you. Maybe for a country with several wins under it's belt already, or a country that's won in the last 5 years, it wouldn't be a big deal. But imagine Lithuania or Iceland getting their first ever win, something that might not happen again for another 20+ years.. and it simply goes to waste. To me that seems incredibly demoralizing. :confused: At this point, I think they'd be better off not knowing they would have won. What they could do perhaps would be not announce the winner, just top 5 or something? That way you'd get the knowledge your song did well, but not the bitter feeling of having lost your hosting chance. :giggle:

Not sure how much work is involved in organizing a televote anyway. :unsure: If it requires lots of people, it might not be doable under current conditions. An online vote on the other hand seems very easy to cheat & manipulate.
You make it sound like hosting the contest the next year is the only reason countries want to win whereas in reality its more like a burden to many. These days it's not fashionable anymore to reject to host even if your country is in an economical or political crisis because the pressure it too high. Winning but not having the hosting duties is probably not bothering Romania or Bulgaria who both struggled to even send entries in the recent past. Plus even if a ESC in Reykjavík would be amazingly romantic, I am sure a lot of fans don't mind to save their money because its heavily expensive. Nah, I am sure if its clear from the beginning that hosting is not an option for the winner most artists (and thats what to me are more important than politicians or corrupt broadcast stations) would be fine with it.

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
At first I was a little bit mad why they prohibited the use of the old songs but thinking a while about it it’s definitely the better option (though very sad for the artist). The ones high in the betting odds would keep their songs, probably. The others would exchange their song to a (most probably) better song or even trying to copy the odds‘ winners in a way. So next years we would have too many good songs and the older ones would definitely lose their appeal since many are tired of listen to them even if they‘re good.
You may ask what’s wrong in having too many good songs? You know the saying... too many cooks spoil the broth. I think „weaker“ songs are needed.

Nemo89

At first I was a little bit mad why they prohibited the use of the old songs but thinking a while about it it’s definitely the better option (though very sad for the artist). The ones high in the betting odds would keep their songs, probably. The others would exchange their song to a (most probably) better song or even trying to copy the odds‘ winners in a way. So next years we would have too many good songs and the older ones would definitely lose their appeal since many are tired of listen to them even if they‘re good.
You may ask what’s wrong in having too many good songs? You know the saying... too many cooks spoil the broth. I think „weaker“ songs are needed.
Your comment is very intelligent but, with due respect, I do not fully agree with what you have written.

A competition with many strong songs does not imply that in the "song park" there will not be a "weak" song. There will always be a ranking.

I think that the harder the competition, the more the European musical movement can guarantee fun and above all improve.

You wrote that Eurofans could get bored listening to the "old songs" ... I still sing the "Beatles" songs! I believe that after the Coronavirus, if the European committee chooses to let the old representatives participate with their old songs, the risk is that the Italian song would have full votes of the jury and perhaps also of the public (after the sadness of the Coronavirus many people would feel sentimentally connected to this song). It is not said that a song, if time passes, loses its charm. It can happen that, like wine, the more time passes, the song becomes better.

It is possible that the ESC commission will say to nations that have a national festival "You can choose whether to send the winner of the 2020 festival or that of 2021". Then, if this choice is internal or chosen by the public it is secondary. Now, many could tell me that this would go against the regulation ... are you sure that the regulation has been respected in these years? I want to show you two rules of the ESC:

1) Controversial choreography or scenography is not allowed.

2) Texts with political, advertising, confessional or offensive content are not allowed.

Following the logic of these rules, the Hatari, in support of the Palestinian cause on the ESC stage, should have been disqualified. The rules can be changed and also ... forget them, my friends xshrug

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
And now SMRTV has stated they have made efforts to approach EBU on reconsidering cancellation, to be changed by postponement.

Well...

musicfan

A competition with many strong songs does not imply that in the "song park" there will not be a "weak" song. There will always be a ranking.

I don't think most people do specific rankings, there are just songs they like (with a big favourite or not) and songs they don't like/or just aren't interested in.

You lose the voting part though I suppose online polls will tell you which is the most/least popular. And you may lose a final performance, all songs should have at least one live performance available at some point you could argue. But you do have all the songs that define this year's Eurovision and that's arguably the basic requirement.

midnightsun

Veteran
@Nemo89 I didn’t say the old songs are boring, I just said they will have lost their appeal next year. :-) Means, new songs that are as good as the old ones are automatically more interesting because they‘re new. The older ones get a bit neglected, so to say. That’s especially the case - in my case - with songs from the very recent years. I‘ve just re-started to listen to the whole songs of 2016, so it will take about 3-4 years when I‘m at 2020.

But you‘re right, Oldies are goldies and the Beatles are an excellent choice! :)

LastDreamer

Banned

Nemo89

@midnightsun @musicfan It is a pleasure to speak with you. I wanted to open a discussion point. My thought is that a song from 2020 could also perform in 2021. This Coronavirus slowed down life and time as we knew it has changed. Maybe everything will fall back into place in 2022, maybe.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
And now SMRTV has stated they have made efforts to approach EBU on reconsidering cancellation, to be changed by postponement.

Well...

Would be nice, but I doubt they'll listen tbh. Considering how they've so easily written off SMRTVs requests etc in the past.

Alaska49

Well...
well, it's san marino, they are more likely to cancel 2021 on top of 2020 than to listen to them

Last edited:

Realest

Borislav Milanov:

Also we just have to look closely at the name of the contest, “The Eurovision SONG Contest”, to understand that the song is central to the competition, and without songwriters, producers and publishers, their would be no songs.
This contest started as a contest for composers and songwriters and now it’s turned to a Reference Group Contest serving specific interest and totally ignoring and disrespecting the songwriters and their hard work! How ever will the Eurovision Song Contest come back stronger than ever without the Songs and the Songwriters and by making so many people, labels, institutions upset and losing the trust in a fair EBU?
So many of us are disheartened by this decision, as we have input so much already, but we have no protection over our work.

Not only those countries and the fans! Basically 80% of the songwriters, music producers, labels and publisher are also upset and disappointed. Every country should have the choice either to use the same song or not and then carry the consequences and risk for their decision! The fairest solution would have been to ask the different countries and to give the choice! Either to use or not! You can always try to write a new song but being able to use the songs if you want should be the choice of each country! Let’s also remind ourselves, that the songs are released because we agreed to abide by delivering our works to you by the deadline of March 9th, so they can be included on the Eurovision YouTube Channel.
The same rules you are claiming now, that make them invalid for next year’s ESC. Almost all writers and publishers would have never released this songs in that way otherwise and would have use it differently!

hijirio

Veteran
BoriSLAY Milanov xheat xheat xheat

sapsan

What can I tell you afterall. This season was too good to be true. 😩Anyway, this music will be saved in my heart and music player.
And still even ESC 2021 looks doubtful with that pandemic.

Loindici

Veteran
Borislav Milanov's quote

I have to agree with him.

As an extent to my comment regarding decrease of interest, this statement has also opened my mind that it would affect not only the artists, but all involvements within: dancers, dance instructors, backing singers, producers, songwriters, record labels, and et cetera. I mean, if EBU could throw their work away so easy, why would they want to participate again when it becomes worthless at the end of the day? There's basically no written guarantee from the RG about how they would preserve their work, but to ditch all the 41 entrants in a trashcan?

Unfortunately, I can only see this statement being put into effect when at least 50%+1 (which is 21 in this case) broadcaster teamed up to claim the wrongdoings of the RG. Otherwise, it'll only be a million voices without an ear to listen.

And apparently, as you might know, some broadcasters have started planning their 'financially more compelling' options. You know which ones I'm talking about.

HayashiM

Veteran
I agree with Jan Bors that having composers competing with multiple entries in the same year is ridiculous. But I also think that not allowing this year's songs while talking some nonsense about "the rules" is even more ridiculous.

Eurovision 2020 is not taking place, which has never happened before, so the rules have been broken already. It should be the individual broadcaster's choice whether to take a risk and send a 2020 song or come up with something new, no one else's.

Romeo

Anybody think if this whole mess dies down by the summer we could have a summer ESC?

Top Bottom