Contact us

EUROVISION 2020 - General Discussion Thread

escYOUnited

Administrator
Please post any and all discussions regarding the contest itself, host country and city, organisation, rumours and other topics not related to any specific country's selection process.

alca

I say host two contests next year. One with all the artists and songs from 2020 and one with the new artists and songs of 2021. Let's have Eurovision 2020 in 2021.

Mainshow

Veteran
Best decision. It's not disgraceful to any artists or broadcasters. They all know that Eurovision got cancelled (not postponed). It would have been really unfair if some broadcasters host a new preselection whilst others submit their 2020 entrants with nrw songs or even the same songs.

Of course, I feel sad about Bulgaria, Lithuania, Switzerland and Iceland who could have won everything... But this way, we fans get two complete eurovision editions (song-wise) instead of 1 and a half!

DaFlo

Banned
It would have been really unfair if some broadcasters host a new preselection whilst others submit their 2020 entrants with nrw songs or even the same songs.

Idk what's unfair if you give everyone the choice to keep the song xshrug If some countries wanna go with their NFs they can do that, while others can keep the song if they want to. Everyone has the same options.

Loindici

Veteran
It's the best compensation they could give. EBU doesn't have any rights to cancel any NFs, nor obliged the broadcaster to send the past winners. Some NF countries would probably change into internally selecting their 2020 winners.

And of course now we will expect Jeangu to come with a disco bop

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
it literally doesn't matter how old these songs are even. Pretty much the entire audience watching them will hear them for the first time on the night, then either in the final or never again. It's only with bands like Little Big that may well have had a bigger exposure. So many fans seem to live in a bubble over this. Modern music isn't going to literally change quickly so they sound super outdated? Artists may want a new song, but some for sure wanted to keep their song. Victoria is the best example of that I can give right now. This just shows the contempt the EBU has for the entire process. They didn't even need to cancel, but they did. They didn't need to come down so hard on this, but they have. Shame on them and whoever pushed this agenda. Money talks.

Preuss

Honestly, screw the EBU. Who are they to tell that the artists can’t use the same song for next year’s competition under these circumstances? Let it be a choice for the artists themselves, I doubt it’s at advantage anyway. I see that Robyn from wiwibloggs said something about hosting right, but honestly let’s be real; EBU could just declare that the «winner» of this year’s Eurovision won’t get to host next year, the hosting right will still be the Netherlands’ if they want it. I hardly doubt that any broadcaster would have a problem with this as the replacement contest will be so downscaled that they won’t even deserve to host. It’s bothering me that the EBU don’t find a way to make these 41 songs count, even if it won’t be in Eurovision style, the artists could do it from home etc, and still represent their country in 2021 if they wish to. This way they’ll make sure that the songs count some way. Honestly why do they insist that Eurovision has to happen the grand way? If the spirit of the contest is to unite Europe and countries, then find a way to do it - especially in these hard times.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
María Isabel, just like Tinna Gi, is another singer from the (J)ESC-world who, a couple of years ago, had predicted EVERYTHING about nowadays' mess

Loindici

Veteran
Honestly, screw the EBU. Who are they to tell that the artists can’t use the same song for next year’s competition under these circumstances? Let it be a choice for the artists themselves, I doubt it’s at advantage anyway. I see that Robyn from wiwibloggs said something about hosting right, but honestly let’s be real; EBU could just declare that the «winner» of this year’s Eurovision won’t get to host next year, the hosting right will still be the Netherlands’ if they want it. I hardly doubt that any broadcaster would have a problem with this as the replacement contest will be so downscaled that they won’t even deserve to host. It’s bothering me that the EBU don’t find a way to make these 41 songs count, even if it won’t be in Eurovision style, the artists could do it from home etc, and still represent their country in 2021 if they wish to. This way they’ll make sure that the songs count some way. Honestly why do they insist that Eurovision has to happen the grand way? If the spirit of the contest is to unite Europe and countries, then find a way to do it - especially in these hard times.

Is it possible that the could do an online festival? I mean, they'd still do the online broadcasting from each country, with each country having a stage or whatever, just that they're not in competition and there's no televoting whatsoever.

mauve

Veteran
Is it possible that the could do an online festival? I mean, they'd still do the online broadcasting from each country, with each country having a stage or whatever, just that they're not in competition and there's no televoting whatsoever.
In a world where online is such a huge part, EBU has no other option than to cancel everything? I mean where are we? In the Middle ages? Still can't believe it. There really WOULD have been better choices than to cancel and to to literally chuck the precious songs away.

crashworld

Veteran
Now makes me wonder, if part of the reasons the delegations cannot reuse the songs for the 2021 contest is because EBU has something planned where the songs from this year's supposed contest will be used in the replacement show. That would have made more sense.

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
EBU is definitely planning something because their actions so far just wouldn't make sense any other way. I expect some sort of online show, but they will just have to drop the whole competitive aspect of it. Every country will get like five minutes or so to present their song in the way they deem fit accompanied by two minute interviews with the artists or something like that. Two shows with 20/21 songs each, something like that.

crashworld

Veteran
EBU is definitely planning something because their actions so far just wouldn't make sense any other way. I expect some sort of online show, but they will just have to drop the whole competitive aspect of it. Every country will get like five minutes or so to present their song in the way they deem fit accompanied by two minute interviews with the artists or something like that. Two shows with 20/21 songs each, something like that.

That would make more sense to be honest. Give the artists a platform to promote their music and also let the Eurovision public know what songs are there in the supposed competition. Since it has already decided that the songs cannot be reused for the 2021 contest, may as well do something with them for the replacement show.

Although a part of me still hope they can ask the artist to do a pre-recorded studio 'live' performance of the track in the absence of audience when the situation improves.

Someone in reddit forum suggested that any artist that is unable to participate in the ESC 2021 contest should be invited back to be the interval act of the semi-finals/final of the 2021 contest by performing their songs. That would have been a nice touch.

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
So many great and beautiful ballads this year. I love all of these:

:bg: Magical and emotional. I was really looking forward to watch this performance on stage. Could've been the winner this year.

:al: There's something with this song. I get heartbroken everytime I hear it. I've loved it since FIK in December. It lost some of it's magic after the revamp into English, why get rid of the violins!!!??? Still emotional and I love her voice.

:ro: Didn't need the revamp for me. I love the moment, both in studio and live. Play with words, Roxen was really feeling it and many people can relate to the topic. Could've gone far in Rotterdam. The live performance: I love the second chorus, when the backing vocals join in. Goosebumps!

:sl: Was really growing on me. What a voice. A great balkan ballad. I love it.

:pl: I love the studio version so much. Her voice, the drama! Could've been a jury magnet.

:no: When I heard this song in NMGP final my first thoughts were "jury winner". I'm not sure after a lot of the songs above were released, but her voice is just amazing and the drama in the end, very good job dear neighbours xheart

shameless

You're problaby right about this and its going to be super lame. Just to present all the songs in pre-recorded ways and with siri hosting and thats it.
Why can it not still be a competition? People vote AT HOME, Juries can vote AT HOME. If you give everyone clear technical restricitions on their presentation the advantages of countries like sweden will bepretty low. because people can still see if they like a song or not.
We WANT A CONTEST, guys!

Fluke

According to this post on SVT's website, some kind of replacement show with pre-recorded or remotely streamed performances is being considered, but it doesn't give any other sources for this statement. At least the article seems to get the reason for the decision right, that it's all about EBU's own honor (insert 1st season Zuko face here) and they don't give a damn about what the artists, the national delegations or the public thinks.

And i really think they should have some way of voting for a winner, even if it's just on a website rather than a proper televote. We just can't go without knowing who WINS!

laululind

The winner wouldn't get to host next year tho'. :confused: It's one thing to wonder what might have been, but a whole other matter to know you won but get jack shit to show for it. :LOL: A pat on the back and a mention next year maybe, but the whole point of winning, putting on your own show, is taken from you. Maybe for a country with several wins under it's belt already, or a country that's won in the last 5 years, it wouldn't be a big deal. But imagine Lithuania or Iceland getting their first ever win, something that might not happen again for another 20+ years.. and it simply goes to waste. To me that seems incredibly demoralizing. :confused: At this point, I think they'd be better off not knowing they would have won. What they could do perhaps would be not announce the winner, just top 5 or something? That way you'd get the knowledge your song did well, but not the bitter feeling of having lost your hosting chance. :giggle:

Not sure how much work is involved in organizing a televote anyway. :unsure: If it requires lots of people, it might not be doable under current conditions. An online vote on the other hand seems very easy to cheat & manipulate.

LastDreamer

Banned
You always can ask :ru: to be the host of ESC 2020 in the end of this year and hold ESC 2021 for :nl:

Top Bottom