Contact us

Memories and Rankings from Oslo

Mannone

Heisann!

In this thread you may post your overall impression of this edition, and you may rank your favourites or unbearables. You may of course use any older thread instead if you would like. For example this one: Comparing Your Ranked 39 Eurovision Songs

In other words, you may use this thread if you are listening to the entries some years after 2010 and want to rank your favourites/scrapings or just want to put a comment about your overall impression/memoirs.

So what do I remember from 2010? Well, "Satellite" was like "Fairytale" the year before. The moment you met it you knew it would conquer. And that's sort of what I remember. Everything was about Lena and the rest was quite a middle year (in comparison to the modern-modern era since 2008).

However, I've listened through the studio versions once again during the last day and this is my not so complete rankings, but my top and bottom layers:

1. :de: - Lena Meyer-Landrut - Satellite

The cleverness about the beat is unparallelled in ESC-history. And you're not intended to dance, nor to sweat. You're just working on a dainty aura of moist. Intellectually challenging, just lightly touching your carnal desires. And with Lena at the helm, it's still hotter than fire. It's chilly petting blue.

2. :fi: - Kuunkuiskaajat - Työlki Ellää

My favourite finnish entry to date. Generic in a very genuine way, just like "Hora Din Moldova" which I appreciated the year before. I like the ladder-kind-of structure in the pre-refrain phase. Very catchy, and the clapping is perfectly timed. This one still lingers on my workout playlist.

3. :fr: - Jessy Matador - Allez! Ola! Olé!

The all-time workout comp of Eurovision. Did france lose hope in their low key entries? In any case I'm glad they did this year. There is a very exciting part (e.g. 1:14-1:29 into the song) that lifts this to my third place: "Tout le monde, dambadam badabadam badambadam badam"...

4. :az: - Safura - Drip Drop

And this was also the year when Azerbaijan got dead serious about conquering. Drip Drop is smooth (and semi-bland) all the way, but you just have to hear it all through to be able to appreciate the subtle magic at the moment she groans: "Oh no no no, Oh no no no" (2:33 into the song). That moment alone makes "Drip Drop" something that doesn't get lost in the crowd.

5. :rs: - Milan Stanković - Ovo Je Balkan

Repetitive but exciting. Many pleasant elements. From Beograd to Beograd, just hop, hop, hop.

6. :lt: - Inculto - Eastern European Funk

I shouldn't like this, but there is something well timed in the supersonic speed beat.

7. :cy: - Jon Lilygreen And The Islanders - Life Looks Better In Spring

This one is pretty good. I remember I thought this one was way better than the Belgian equivalent that surprised by placing 6th.

8. :sl: - Roka Žlindre & Kalamari - Narodno Zabavni Rock

Interesting rollercoaster, and thus decent. Would have needed a little more of what we here between 0:25 to 0:33. That is the best part.

Gutter:

39. :uk: - Josh Dubovie - That Sounds Good To Me - The archetype of emptiness.
38. :gr: - Giorgos Alkaios & Friends - Opa - Homespun idling...
37. :pl: - Marcin Mrozinski - Legenda - Monotonous misery.
36. :ua: - Alyosha - Sweet People - Draging and draging. A sedative.
35. :ch: - Michael Von Der Heide - Il Pleut De L'Or - That beat is so stolen from Lena Philipsson's "It Hurts". Punishment!
34. :ee: - Malcolm Lincoln - Siren - Nnnnnnnext...
33. :lv: - Aisha - What For? - Low-budget. Just not good.
32. :is: - Hera Björk - Je Ne Sais Quoi - Ice queen please, not some French mishmash...

No Horehronie. No Apricot Stone. Oh, no no no... xshrug

Oh, no no no.

Nicholas123

Very nice review overall!

Germany was-hands down- the best!

France became a big hit in Greece that summer, greeks loved that song (it was our douze points, since we had to vote 4 Cyprus and Albania).

Lithuania was also a huge favorite of mine, so sad it missed the final for some points!

Impressive

Banned
38. :gr: - Giorgos Alkaios & Friends - Opa - Homespun idling...
37. :pl: - Marcin Mrozinski - Legenda - Monotonous misery.
36. :ua: - Alyosha - Sweet People - Draging and draging. A sedative.
34. :ee: - Malcolm Lincoln - Siren - Nnnnnnnext...
33. :lv: - Aisha - What For? - Low-budget. Just not good.
32. :is: - Hera Björk - Je Ne Sais Quoi - Ice queen please, not some French mishmash...

:? :?

Mannone

Nicholas123 said:
France became a big hit in Greece that summer, greeks loved that song (it was our douze points, since we had to vote 4 Cyprus and Albania).

I can imagine that. It's something macho about it too, just like greeks want it... Or maybe not, but you really start shaking. Perfect for bodypumping... =)

Haha, maybe I'm not interested enough in slating the ones I dislike...

LalehForWD

There is a very exciting part (e.g. 1:14-1:29 into the song) that lifts this to my third place: "Tout le monde, dambadam badabadam badambadam badam"...

Haha, you're right! Tbh I must admit I only heard 3 minutes of "AllezAllezAllezAllez" before.

I presume the lack of words about Anna is deliberate as these events kind of overshadowed the contest in Sweden. Without lookup the contest, the only thing I remember is Lena besides Anna. I was just a casual ESC-viewer at the time though.

Agree with your fantastic words on Lena and Safura's Drip-Drop is just an amazing power-ballad. Anders Bagge is of course a devoted metalhead and perfect for these pieces. The whole "no-no-no"-part is pretty much a resemblance of an eargasm guitarsolo imo. I don't know if you're into such things but I sure am. The rest of your picks I refuse to comment on. :mrgreen:

Mannone

[...]

I presume the lack of words about Anna is deliberate as these events kind of overshadowed the contest in Sweden. Without lookup the contest, the only thing I remember is Lena besides Anna. I was just a casual ESC-viewer at the time though.

[...]

Anna, you meanar Bergendahl. Well, I just picked the best and the worst. As you point out, Anna was nothing but a shadow. The song was rather fine, sure, but she just forced her vibrato to the breaking-point of mass patience. And the song did indeed need something more...

Celia

Such a great year! If only Anna Bergendahl had made it to the Final... :(

:de: was my favourite too, and won! xheya
Another songs I love: :tr:, :be: , :ua: , :se: of course, :cy: , :fi: , :ee: , :is:
:az: and :il: performances were awful but I like the songs.
I disliked :fr: and :gr: at first but I fell for them after the show (we had so much fun at home dancing :mrgreen:)
I hate :by: and still don't understand how they passed the Semifinal T()

ParadiseES

I hate :by: and still don't understand how they passed the Semifinal T()

I watched ESC 2010 in TVE, as a public of the Eurovision Special, and the song the public (mostly housewives and grandmothers) applauded was "Butterflies", after the French song of course.

:lol:

Celia

I watched ESC 2010 in TVE, as a public of the Eurovision Special, and the song the public (mostly housewives and grandmothers) applauded was "Butterflies", after the French song of course.

:lol:

omg xrofl3 well I didn't watch the semifinals so I didn't know who had qualified and it was the first time I watched the ESC with friends. I can't describe how embarrased I was that they were gonna watch that (they were all like xcrazy) I almost spat my dinner out when the :by: flag came up on tv.

HarryUK

:12: :al: Albania
:10: :de: Germany
:8: :gr: Greece
:7: :az: Azerbaijan
:6: :fr: France
:5: :md: Moldova
:4: :am: Armenia
:3: :dk: Denmark
:2: :ro: Romania
:1: :tr: Turkey

Mlyn

Banned
I was in the United States back then and completely forgot about Eurovision. Then I surfed the Internet for news and Germany's victory was on the front page. I was like WTF..... that was super exciting....

12 Slovakia
10 Germany
08 Russia
07 Lithuania
06 Moldova
05 Denmark
04 Romania
03 Israel
02 Cyprus
01 Croatia

henhu

:12: :tr: Turkey