1 0.5%

1 0.5%

8 4.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

marty

France for me is the only possible surprise winner besides Austria. I am still quite sure that Finland will win. The song is very original. With Austria many things are unclear, like how the juries will like it. They can love it for the message but they could also dislike it for being too funny. If the staging is cool and/ or funny (but not too funny) they can win the televote. I dont think Loreen can win a second time, being a former winner is already a disadvantage, and the song and the whole presentation is outdated. I like the french song, I can imagine that it possibly could win but only if things turn out bad for the other three countries. Even with a great staging (and thats possibly the reason for the rising odds) for me its difficult to believe that they can win either jury or televote. PR-wise a victory of Finland or Austria would be best for eurovision. Evidemment would be a song that is forgotten soon.

empo21

Veteran
I still can't see France winning. It's current rise in the odds is likely due to the OGAE/Euro Jury success (same for Italy and UK) and has people excited, but I wouldn't put too much weight on that.

France was 6th in OGAE last year and generally does well in that poll. Mercy was 2nd. Roi was in top 15. Requiem was 4th. Amir won OGAE in 2016. Even Tom Leeb had 32 points and finished top 20 on 2020 OGAE!

Wynnter

The classy elements combined with the disco(?) beat is so nice. The song as a whole is an earworm and not the bad type. But much like with other songs as well, this would do better if it had more of an impact on the listener (when it comes to the instrumental. Her voice is great). Still, it's good. Really good. But not THAT good, I'm afraid.

Final score: :8: points

John1

France was 6th in OGAE last year and generally does well in that poll.
No no no no. This has nothing to do with the performance or the song itself but the whole contest, in which Ukraine gathered an insanely amount of points for absolutely no reason. Can you imagine under "normal" circumstances? France would definitely fare better.

harey

No no no no. This has nothing to do with the performance or the song itself but the whole contest, in which Ukraine gathered an insanely amount of points for absolutely no reason. Can you imagine under "normal" circumstances? France would definitely fare better.
Oh PLEASE, no need to rewrite history.

John1

Oh PLEASE, no need to rewrite history.
Look, I'm not that into such a Ukraine-wouldn't-have-won-if-it-weren't-for-the-war storytelling, but let's face it - France and some countries would have done way better in any other year.

Uto

Veteran
I still can't see France winning. It's current rise in the odds is likely due to the OGAE/Euro Jury success (same for Italy and UK) and has people excited, but I wouldn't put too much weight on that.

France was 6th in OGAE last year and generally does well in that poll. Mercy was 2nd. Roi was in top 15. Requiem was 4th. Amir won OGAE in 2016. Even Tom Leeb had 32 points and finished top 20 on 2020 OGAE!
I agree with everything you said as they are absolutely solid points, but I do have to say there's a sort of 'eye test' so to speak that all these songs do not pass while La Zarra does. If she can sort of recreate the video clip on stage and make it pop a bit more I think a lot of people who are not too fond of these very shouty in-your-face pop songs but do like pop in general will gravitate towards this and the jury appeal is not in doubt anyway.

harey

Look, I'm not that into such a Ukraine-wouldn't-have-won-if-it-weren't-for-the-war storytelling, but let's face it - France and some countries would have done way better in any other year.
I agree that Ukraine got so much televote that it didn't let other countries getting on televotes top 10 and grabbing points but... France wasn't at all close to these televote points, other countries could have got them (or not? I'm pretty sure that the Ukrainian song was a televote magnet just like trenetul). It breaks my heart because I loved Fulenn so much but... what happened happened. No need to overthink, sometimes songs we like just fail. It's ok.

midnightsun

Veteran

Italy does always great with the public, no matter the odds, polls, whatever. So it’s not a "sudden hype".

UK is always slightly overrated in odds and polls due to excited Brits.

France is definitely overrated in some cases; it does always well, especially in all the various polls no matter what they send.
Sometimes the polls are right though, they often send good songs, with some of them ending up too low in the end, unfairly.

This year, however, I acknowledge the hype because objectively it is a good song and I can see why it’s liked by the public.

Subjectively, the song does not much for me. It’s too sterile for my taste, it feels like a forced product. La Zarra playing the diva, that notorious chanson implementation, combined with a modern beat, it’s too cliché for me and leaves me totally cold.

(The same could basically said about France 2017.)

empo21

Veteran
I agree with everything you said as they are absolutely solid points, but I do have to say there's a sort of 'eye test' so to speak that all these songs do not pass while La Zarra does. If she can sort of recreate the video clip on stage and make it pop a bit more I think a lot of people who are not too fond of these very shouty in-your-face pop songs but do like pop in general will gravitate towards this and the jury appeal is not in doubt anyway.
Based on interviews and them teasing 'sparkly staging', they might be aiming to recreate the MV after all, which would be very pretty on stage.

empo21

Veteran
Even with no war, those votes were never going France's way.

ayzelto

She’s my favourite but I really doubt she’s winning the whole thing. Maybe she could come close to first in the juries, but I don’t think that will be enough. I think the best she can aim for is a lower top 5, but we will see. In two weeks there will be surprises and who knows, maybe France will become a strong contender by then.

Top Bottom