Contact us

Kazakhstan KAZAKHSTAN 2023 - not taking part

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

hijirio

Veteran
Totally random flex but ok I’m going to Kazakhstan in 2 weeks xqueenbitch xslay xheat

Mainshow

Veteran
Maybe EBU makes fun of Kazakhstan every year, so that they take part in the JESC hoping to have a positive opinion for Eurovision. But the situation has been the same for 5 years. We will see in 2023, when the telephone area code will be officially unique for the country.

Even such "criterion" shouldn´t be a reason to neglect Kazakhstan from participating since the EBU does allow Australian viewers to vote via app (this year, they completely ditched the traditional televoting) and the EBU comes up with a completely fake/false/aggregated and (mis)calculated televoting score (by mixing countries such as Greece/Albania and Cyprus together.. what the hell!!!).

Mainshow

Veteran
Totally random flex but ok I’m going to Kazakhstan in 2 weeks xqueenbitch xslay xheat
That´s great! Enjoy your (work?) trip! Kazakhstan has so many interesting spots to offer (I went there in May, though.. dunno about the climate in November.... must be quite brutal around Astana).

Verjamem

EBU not letting Kazakhstan in just shows, how biased organization they are and how much they actually care, about ESC being a European show.

Deleted member 12761

I really hope the EBU finally invites :kz: and they make their debut next year. Their music is cool and very different from the other countries, their JVS entries were really good but most importantly I hope that a new member could help with the financial situation so Montenegro, North Macedonia and others can come back. It would be nice if we had 40+ countries next year.

12Pointsgoto.....

I really hope that Kazakhstan will join next year and we will not stop talking about it until they enter. There is no viable argument for Kazakhstan to not be in the contest but multiple other countries who don't meet the criteria to stay in the contest. Kazakhstan is dedicated to joining and it shows in their JESC entries.

Ezio

Veteran
Kazakhstan truly is not a viable Eurovision candidate. It's 6 hours ahead of CET and 7 hours ahead of GMT. Should Kazakhs tune in at 3 AM and watch until 6.30 AM? That's a crazy proposition. It's also not fit for hosting due to this reason.

Australians can watch Eurovision for breakfast, but Kazakhs have to stay up all night.

There is also no geographical argument to be made, that Kazakhstan is on the European continent.

Because Europe as a continent doesn't already exist. The continent, contiguous landmass, is called Eurasia. Europe is the Western Peninsula, it's more an idea rather than a continent. To argue geographically that Europe ends at Ural or Caucasus, and 20% of Kazakhstan or so would be European is a bogus claim, because the vast land masses continue anyway.

For me Europe is a "continent" of cultural affiliation and unitied by democracy.

Asia on the other hand is also too large for an own song contest. It works for East Asia, where the people live whom we refer to as Asians. Never heard people saying Arabs, Israeli or Indians were Asians although the live in Asia as well.

12Pointsgoto.....

Asia on the other hand is also too large for an own song contest. It works for East Asia, where the people live whom we refer to as Asians. Never heard people saying Arabs, Israeli or Indians were Asians although the live in Asia as well.
You have East Asia, South-East Asia, South Asia, central Asia and the middle east on the continent of Asia, but most people only refer to East Asians and South-East asians as Asians.

hijirio

Veteran
Kazakhstan truly is not a viable Eurovision candidate. It's 6 hours ahead of CET and 7 hours ahead of GMT. Should Kazakhs tune in at 3 AM and watch until 6.30 AM? That's a crazy proposition. It's also not fit for hosting due to this reason.

Australians can watch Eurovision for breakfast, but Kazakhs have to stay up all night.

There is also no geographical argument to be made, that Kazakhstan is on the European continent.

Because Europe as a continent doesn't already exist. The continent, contiguous landmass, is called Eurasia. Europe is the Western Peninsula, it's more an idea rather than a continent. To argue geographically that Europe ends at Ural or Caucasus, and 20% of Kazakhstan or so would be European is a bogus claim, because the vast land masses continue anyway.

For me Europe is a "continent" of cultural affiliation and unitied by democracy.

First of all, your calculations are completely wrong. In May, KZ is 4 hours ahead of CET, so the show would begin at 1 am and finish at 4 am. It is late, but so are Academy Awards and all US-based music awards, but still die hard European nerds stay up to follow them.

Having been to Kazakhstan, I can tell it's actually very European, but it all depends on what you call 'Europe'.
If you have a super narrow image of Europe and Europeanness based solely on Paris, London, Amsterdam, Barcelona, yeah, I can tell why you don't see Kazakhstan as Europe.
People like you completely ignore Eastern Europe when you speak of 'Europe'. But hey, you know what? Eastern Europe is also Europe, and not any less European than the West.
And socially, culturally, gastronomically, architecture-wise, you can find Eastern European elements all over in Almaty.
An Eastern European person will obviously have more things in common with a Kazakh than with a French. So what do you do with that?
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Ezio

Veteran
First of all, your calculations are completely wrong. In May, KZ is 4 hours ahead of CET, so the show would begin at 1 am and finish at 4 am. It is late, but so are Academy Awards and all US-based music awards, but still die hard European nerds stay up to follow them.

Having been to Kazakhstan, I can tell it's actually very European, but it all depends on what you call 'Europe'.
If you have a super narrow image of Europe and Europeanness based solely on Paris, London, Amsterdam, Barcelona, yeah, I can tell why you don't see Kazakhstan as Europe.
People like you completely ignore Eastern Europe when you speak of 'Europe'. But hey, you know what? Eastern Europe is also Europe, and not any less European than the West.
And socially, culturally, gastronomically, architecture-wise, you can find Eastern European elements all over in Almaty.
An Eastern European person will obviously have more things in common with a Kazakh than with a French. So what do you do with that?
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.
Please find the world map of time zones for your further consideration. You are very welcome.

Ezio

Veteran
I would also argue that some viewers in the middle of the night arent interesting for EBU nor Kazakhstan because a participation fee needs to be paid, or should we pay for them?

Imagine a European country with 1 or 2 million viewers at GF final night doesnt qualify, but Kazakhstan does with a few thousand viewers. Ratings plummet, so cui bono? No one actually.

Also, the televote would be hardly repesentative thus not legitimate.

I doubt the EBU is gonna cater to some Kazakh die hard fans. Maybe as a one-off for their 100th anniversary.

Ajeje Brazorf

This. And I will add EBU is warned by the strong relationship intercurring between their government and RuZZia aswell (Remember PutOut send troops to actually use it againsts Kazakhstan protesters in 2021)... The last thing EBU wants is another Belarus in the contest, so I think they are just keeping it safe, making them participate only in JESC.

Deleted member 12761

I don't know much about their political situation but when it comes to music they're really amazing. They have a very unique music style and I would love their music in Eurovision. Honestly, I think Kazakhstan would become one of the top countries. When it comes to politics we simply live in dark times, let's be honest. It doesn't look good in some of the other european countries either.

Ezio

Veteran
This. And I will add EBU is warned by the strong relationship intercurring between their government and RuZZia aswell (Remember PutOut send troops to actually use it againsts Kazakhstan protesters in 2021)... The last thing EBU wants is another Belarus in the contest, so I think they are just keeping it safe, making them participate only in JESC.
Yeah, keep these problematic countries away

Top Bottom