Contact us

The "this song sounds exactly like ..." thread

jatojo

It's both interesting and annoying - the comparisons between new Eurovision entries and some existing songs.

The annoying part: If people don't know much about music and only "feel" it, then they go by more or less coincidental associations and claim that this and that song is "copy-paste of" something else - when in fact it isn't true. Examples: Alessandra's winning song in Norway has been called "Run To The Hills 2.0" - which is totally nonsense. Of course there are elements that sound similar, but the rhythm in the chorusses is different - you can't take the beat of "Run To The Hills" and sing "Queen Of The Kings" on top of that. - In other cases, it's just two or three notes that are alike, and that doesn't justify calling a song a "2.0" or "copy-paste" song. Most often, the flawed analysis has to do with the opinion of the one presenting it: he or she doesn't like the song and tries to apply some sort of objective weight to the negative view.

The good thing: Once in a while a Eurovision song has references to another songs, and that's cool I think. It just needs to be done in a subtle way. An example is "Lige Her" from Dansk Melodi Grand Prix which makes many people think of "Skibet Skal Sejle I Nat" from 1957. I have seen some call it a rip off, but when you go through the song line by line, there really isn't many identical parts. It's just elegantly made. - Sometimes, the comparisons between songs can be rather funny. Like when you realize that the chorus of "Breaking My Heart" (from the same national final as the previous mentioned) has much in common with "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen! Very different genres, and yet ...

And then we have the entries that I myself find suspiciously close to other songs. At the moment, I'm very critical towards Tennessee Tears at Melfest. One thing is that their setup in terms of sound and choreography gives clear associations to Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, but there is also one specific part - right at the beginning - which is identical to the bridge in "Shallow". That crosses my line of tolerance.

What else have we this year, so far?

MopManMoss

Veteran
I've been trying to remember what it is the chorus melody of Aijā reminds me of for AGES, since I first heard it. And I've finally figured it out!!

The verses of Blue by The Birthday Massacre. No accusations of plagiarism here, it's not all that similar really, I'm just glad to finally have pinned it down!
How dare you compare Sudden Lights to a group with Anthony Costa in it

lacrymea

Well... The chorus from Norway's entry is a complete rip-off of this song:

Not an inspiration. Not something that reminds us something else. Total rip-off.

Not that anyone cares anyway, but I found it appropriate on this thread.

Last edited:

jatojo

Well... The chorus from Norway's entry is a complete rip-off off this song:

Not an inspiration. Not something that reminds us something else. Total rip-off.

Not that anyone cares anyway, but I found it appropriate on this thread.
Lol, there are definitely similarities there. Funnily enough, I always thought Alessandra's song is very rushed in the chorus, because the lyrics is so compressed. And in the song you mention they have chosen to only use that part as an instrumental section.

lacrymea

Lol, there are definitely similarities there. Funnily enough, I always thought Alessandra's song is very rushed in the chorus, because the lyrics is so compressed. And in the song you mention they have chosen to only use that part as an instrumental section.
Yep. Almost as if it was made to be instrumental only xD Sounds weirdly rushed when trying to fit in words in there.

midnightsun

Veteran
I've been trying to remember what it is the chorus melody of Aijā reminds me of for AGES, since I first heard it. And I've finally figured it out!!

The verses of Blue by The Birthday Massacre. No accusations of plagiarism here, it's not all that similar really, I'm just glad to finally have pinned it down!

You know TBM ? Awesome! I love them so much! One of my favourite bands.
Funny, but I would never have guessed that Aija sounds like Blue.

————————

And I am not a professional musician, yet I have some musical education and I have a perfect pitch, so if I think a song is a copy cat or I think the song sounds like xy - well, then it’s my opinion and I will keep on saying this no matter some people here don’t like it.

Oh, Because of you sounds like Europe‘s living a celebration, Bridges sounds like Fade to black or Empires, Aija like Hold me closer, Dance like Levitating (Dua Lipa).

No, they are not exactly the same, but to me, they are building similarly and have the same background chords (means both melodies can be sung at the same time to the same chords).

jatojo

(means both melodies can be sung at the same time to the same chords).
Same beat and same chords - yeah, that's the starting point, isn't it. If these two things don't match, the comparisons aren't that interesting.

jatojo

Some have compared Kuuma's song to 'Take On Me' by A-ha. I find that rather far-fetched.

jatojo

But tbf, Norway's entry is an unusual popsong. The only mainstream song I can think of with a somewhat similar chorus is "Womanizer" by Britney Spears.

AND - this is fancy - take the very first line of Eyjaa's "I Was Gonna Marry Him": I think it's the same notes as in Alessandra's chorus! Just slower. ;)

jatojo

In the beginning of the "chorus" of Austria's entry there is an element that sounds exactly like a part of "New Rules" by Dua Lipa. :)

MopManMoss

Veteran
I usually hate these comparisons but the beginning of Latvia’s entry really does sound very very similar to Radiohead’s 15 Step

jatojo

I usually hate these comparisons but the beginning of Latvia’s entry really does sound very very similar to Radiohead’s 15 Step

The concept overall, yes! Sudden Lights are going for something more melodic.

Chalphon

I don't know if they are all that similar really but every time I get the melody of this years Icelandic entry in my head it always turns into Paul Reys song Royals from this years Melfest and vice versa.

"You have no power over me, we could be royals royals!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom