16 8.1%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainshow

Veteran
The video of vesna is not accessible anymore in russia belarus.
I Wonder if the eurovision show of 2022 is accessible there ?

For real?

Isn´t it ironic that RuZZia had submitted tons of fake "peace/freedom" propaganda songs to Eurovision and here we are... finally having a song about Slavic sisterhood, unity and freedom and they censored it?

What a shitshow.

Last edited:

Iker

Veteran
My Sister's Crown has an instrumental that I find highly appealing but I am not entirely compelled by the track. I like it though, and it would be better than many former Czech entries.

Mainshow

Veteran
Rodan just released the official music video of his entry "Introvert Party Club"

If Vesna hadn´t slayed that hard, I would have loved to see him represent the Czech Republic. That song is so freaking catchy and well-produced.

A-lister

Veteran
For real?

Isn´t it ironic that RuZZia had submitted tons of fake "peace/freedom" propaganda songs to Eurovision and here were are... finally having a song about Slavic sisterhood, unity and freedom and they censored it?

What a shitshow.

Is it ironic though? ruZZia is sh*t, in their mindset Slavic sisterhood (or brotherhood) equals ruZZian dominance over all other Slavic nations, and we already know what that means in practice...

#SlavsUnitedAganstruZZia!

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
I just listened to Vesna given the excitement and the immediate impression from the wording of the lyrics and such is it's pro-Ukraine, anti-Russia. Especially with that intro and some of the lyric choices. Now I could be wrong on that, but it's my impression and it's not hate, don't come for me. :lol: I actually like it quite a lot, I haven't heard the others in the selection but it's the first song that has really crossed me as being potentially very competitive (from what I've listened to and with the caveat as the juries might brush it off). Ironically, given it's about Slavic Sisterhood and what not, the part I don't like so much is the English. Not because it's English, but because I think the lyrics in English seem slightly 'basic' and cheapen the whole package a bit. That said it definitely would be a very good choice from Czech Republic.

Mainshow

Veteran
I just listened to Vesna given the excitement and the immediate impression from the wording of the lyrics and such is it's pro-Ukraine, anti-Russia. Especially with that intro and some of the lyric choices. Now I could be wrong on that, but it's my impression and it's not hate, don't come for me. :lol: I actually like it quite a lot, I haven't heard the others in the selection but it's the first song that has really crossed me as being potentially very competitive (from what I've listened to and with the caveat as the juries might brush it off). Ironically, given it's about Slavic Sisterhood and what not, the part I don't like so much is the English. Not because it's English, but because I think the lyrics in English seem slightly 'basic' and cheapen the whole package a bit. That said it definitely would be a very good choice from Czech Republic.

It clearly is pro-Ukrainian since it´s about Slavic countries ´sisterhood and path to independence and freedom.
The parts in Czech, Ukrainian and Bulgarian lift the song to another level; the Ukrainian part makes it current and strengthens the core message of the song - especially since there is a Russian member who´s strongly criticising RuZZia´s imperial war. It also makes the whole song authentic.. it balances the fact that there are English lyrics, imo - they are somehow necessary to make the whole message understood. Russian used to be the lingua franca but it´s the language of colonialism and imperialism in the Eastern sphere of Europe and thus, including English also highlights the fact that English has become the lingua franca among the younger generations of Central and Eastern European countries as well.

Are they basic in terms of language? - probably you´re right but the metaphors are quite strong (not being your doll = implicitly referring to Russain dolls [?], taking down the sister´s crown [trying to make Ukraine fall and deprive them their right to be indepentent and strong] - and they somehow had to make compromises, I think.. the English parts are quite short as well - all parts are due to making use of 4 different languages - but somehow the whole parts come all together and build a perfect song ... sometimes, I think that including so many different language and trying to create "even" parts (as long as they are not single words) can make a Eurovision song sound very artificial but it´s not the case here... it´s a Eurovision anthem about to happen, imo.

honzak11

And here we have the last entry out, by Maella, due to compete in ESCZ 2023 on Monday

Last edited:

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
It clearly is pro-Ukrainian since it´s about Slavic countries ´sisterhood and path to independence and freedom.
The parts in Czech, Ukrainian and Bulgarian lift the song to another level; the Ukrainian part makes it current and strengthens the core message of the song - especially since there is a Russian member who´s strongly criticising RuZZia´s imperial war. It also makes the whole song authentic.. it balances the fact that there are English lyrics, imo - they are somehow necessary to make the whole message understood. Russian used to be the lingua franca but it´s the language of colonialism and imperialism in the Eastern sphere of Europe and thus, including English also highlights the fact that English has become the lingua franca among the younger generations of Central and Eastern European countries as well.

Are they basic in terms of language? - probably you´re right but the metaphors are quite strong (not being your doll = implicitly referring to Russain dolls [?], taking down the sister´s crown [trying to make Ukraine fall and deprive them their right to be indepentent and strong] - and they somehow had to make compromises, I think.. the English parts are quite short as well - all parts are due to making use of 4 different languages - but somehow the whole parts come all together and build a perfect song ... sometimes, I think that so many entries (as long as they are not single words) can make a Eurovision song sound very artificial but it´s not the case here... it´s a Eurovision anthem about to happen, imo.

Well good, my judgement on that part was correct. It doesn't surprise me at all then that Russia and Belarus have thrown a bitch fit over it and blocked it. :lol: It means it's doing something right. I don't have an issue with English being there at all and given your explaination it actually makes some sense. It's less about the metaphors, but for me more about the use of some words and the 'flow'. The other 3 languages fit perfectly into the song, in tone, emotion and more, which makes sense given they're Slavic languages. The English however stands out like a sore thumb and even in a couple of lines doesn't fit with the melody - I hope it makes sense, i'm terrible at explaining my views when it comes to music. It's a whole other language family for one. Other English speakers may not agree at all with me, but because I can clearly understand and hear the English it just doesn't sit right unlike the rest of the song. It's not a huge deal for me though.

ChiversLookDivine

I like My Sister's Crown, but I'm pretty sure the people hyping this up on Twitter as a potential Eurovision winner are setting themselves up for disappointment.

It's good to get another really strong song from a country that isn't Finland or Spain, but until we see the staging or see it win ESCZ I think it's silly talk. We've already seen songs bomb because of a lack of decent staging, and as good as MSC is it has the potential for messy staging. I look forward to being proved wrong!

Schlagerman1

A rather strong line-up from the Czechs again, but there is one song that if they don't blow it completly live, should win this fairly easy. Vesnas song is potentially one of the more hardhitting politically influenced songs that ever sent to ESC if they win, and I love for it. It is refreshing hearing a "slavic folk" song that doesn't feel happy or fun, but instead feels genuine, strong and meaningful. Almost makes me proud when the last chorus comes along...and I am neither slavic, nor a woman. :lol: The hiphop influences and the connections of collaborating with the Norwegian singer Aurora can be clearly heard in this, but that makes it more comtemporary and with that I believe that many western viewers might feel engaged with this song as well. Compared to others, I feel that the English doesn't hurt it at all. In the end, all languages is combined, as a way to show support wherever you come from. And the sound of the Ukrainian chorus and in the background hearing "My Sisters crown, don't take itdown" is for me the strongest moment musical moment in the 2023 NF-season. Absolutely epic if you ask me!

Potentially the best song this year so far if you ask me. But as I said, it relies on the live performance, where I hope they don't make it too messy or sing badly, then it got no chance in hell tonight or in Liverpool.

Mainshow

Veteran
God remember when people were losing their mind over Elis Mraz last year? The Czech NF is so much better this year
Are these the same people, though?
I hated Elis Mraz's song which was just a very trashy pop song....

But yeah, they Czech NF can be quite unpredictable at times. Not many fans expected Benny or "Lights Off" to win and they came up with a great NF once again!

Mainshow

Veteran
Well good, my judgement on that part was correct. It doesn't surprise me at all then that Russia and Belarus have thrown a bitch fit over it and blocked it. :lol: It means it's doing something right. I don't have an issue with English being there at all and given your explaination it actually makes some sense. It's less about the metaphors, but for me more about the use of some words and the 'flow'. The other 3 languages fit perfectly into the song, in tone, emotion and more, which makes sense given they're Slavic languages. The English however stands out like a sore thumb and even in a couple of lines doesn't fit with the melody - I hope it makes sense, i'm terrible at explaining my views when it comes to music. It's a whole other language family for one. Other English speakers may not agree at all with me, but because I can clearly understand and hear the English it just doesn't sit right unlike the rest of the song. It's not a huge deal for me though.

I know what you mean and I can see why it might not "sound that great" to some but personally, I think it's brilliant. I think that it was intentional to not create a "neat and slick flow" - as introduced in the music video, shadows arrived at the peaceful Slavic kingdom - there's unrest, a war happening..the world is not the same anymore and by having "unusual" and "a little bit clumsy" verses in terms of melodies/flow it symbolises the discontinuation of daily lives the people of the Slavic kingdom have to endure. It creates a moment and a harsh atmosphere which contrasts the anthemic and melodic chorus, imo.

Last edited:

Koori

Some people are already starting with attempt to cancel them because one of the members is Russian. They even found the photo of her husband from 2020 ( checked his Insta - posted on 09.03.2020 ) in military uniform which is intentionally misleading - his profile clearly states he doesn't support the war :) Also the flag in their instagram profile is wrong and "Ukrainian woman" is the video is clownish.

I guess it's ok for people to cancel others just because they weren't lucky to be born outside of terrorRussia xstarsI saw Olesya's FB profile and she doesn't support all this crap as well. Waiting for the cancel hammer to reach me at some point as I was not lucky to be born there too xqueenbitch

DirtyFalcon

I don't think this is the first winner alert of the season and it will not be the last too. The song is really strong yes but it will need to be performed really well live so the emotions and power of the song can be transmitted in the good way. Lights Off was in my Top 5 last year. I think Alice Wonder with Yo Quisiera in Benidorm Fest is also a potential winning song because she's excellent live and she will be able to create a magical moment. We also need to wait internal entries. But i do feel that the political message behind the song might do the difference even against the most amazing, well staged and the most outstanding interpreted songs without political message. So unless, it's not as good live, i think we already have the ESC winner of this year. The only thing we will have to watch is who ends runner up and in the Top 10.

I would be happy that Czech Republic wins still but maybe i don't expect it in that way.

Mainshow

Veteran
This is getting out of hand! I´ve checked her profile before and she´s explicitly condemning the war crimes of RuZZia.
She´s supporting Ukraine and wearing bracelets of Ukrainian and the white-blue-white Russian flag!
She even reposted videos of destroyed cities and called the RuZZian regime "assholes".

Her being Russian and being part of this entry makes it even better. She is the epitome of how Russians should react - the band´s message is strong and it becomes even more AUTHENTIC because she´s from Russia!

Top Bottom