Contact us

EUROVISION 2023 - General Discussion thread

hijirio

Veteran
People always mock jury bait, but "televote bait" is just as bad for me and now I'm scared what some countries are going to send in the next years in order to qualify 😣
Can’t be any worse than ESC 2022 final, many non-fans were shocked that there was nothing Eurovisionesque about the show, it was all polished soulless ballads

hijirio

Veteran
Also it’s very rich of EBU to not give a participation fee discount to smaller countries like Montenegro and Macedonia, but they seek additional income with global vote.

A-lister

Veteran
Finally more power to the people!!! I've been lobbying for this for years and EBU is finally doing something right!

I don't like the rest of the world though, even if it's only one jury group. This will be skewed towards countries with large diaspora I'm afraid. But all right, if it's only one group I guess we can live with it but I would not keep it anyways, Eurovision should stay Eurovision, any attempts at a Worldvision in any shape or form is a big fat no no for me (even if it's just voting). We should be watching closely so EBU won't have a "rest of the world"-entry coming up next...

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
People always mock jury bait, but "televote bait" is just as bad for me and now I'm scared what some countries are going to send in the next years in order to qualify 😣

What is even "televote bait"? On average, the public has a more open mind musically than the so called "professionals" who year after year vote for dated cliched ballads in English that no playlist, radio programmer or anyone would have touched in 30 years. They downvote local entries, entries that dare to be different and so forth.

There was a time one could argue they balanced diaspora and bloc voting, but they added their own recepy of political and cultural voting instead plus corruption too.

Storm

What is even "televote bait"? On average, the public has a more open mind musically than the so called "professionals" who year after year vote for dated cliched ballads in English that no playlist, radio programmer or anyone would have touched in 30 years. They downvote local entries, entries that dare to be different and so forth.

I think it's pretty easy to imagine what falls under televote bait: the kind of joke entries like grandmas baking bread on stage or acts attempting to create viral moments on social media by using silly costumes and choreographies a la Subwoolfer etc.

Mainshow

Veteran
I think it's pretty easy to imagine what falls under televote bait: the kind of joke entries like grandmas baking bread on stage or acts attempting to create viral moments on social media by using silly costumes and choreographies a la Subwoolfer etc.

So songs which easily qualified in the jury voting as well?

It's also telling that you came joke entries which got submitted in the 50/50 jury/televoting era.
Based on your examples, the introduction of the juries didn't really have a huge impact because they didn't prevent sich joke entries from qualifying.

In the final, the juries can still vote for The Voice contestants with great vocals and dated ballads, no worries.

Storm

So songs which easily qualified in the jury voting as well?

It's also telling that you came joke entries which got submitted in the 50/50 jury/televoting era.
Based on your examples, the introduction of the juries didn't really have a huge impact because they didn't prevent sich joke entries from qualifying.

In the final, the juries can still vote for The Voice contestants with great vocals and dated ballads, no worries.

Ehm... of course televote bait can do well (or ok-ish) with the juries, just like jury bait can do well with the public. This is not mutually exclusive.

The introduction of the juries obviously lowered the amount of televote bait... just like the introduction of the televote lowered the amount of jury bait. The 50/50 system allows delegations to pander to whatever side they want though.

A-lister

Veteran

We don't have many entries like that in the first place, and even the examples you gave have higher merit than your average generic cheesy ballad which the juries push every year :lol:

Storm

We don't have many entries like that in the first place, and even the examples you gave have higher merit than your average generic cheesy ballad which the juries push every year :lol:

I obviously disagree which is why I made my posting.

Sammy

Veteran
Yes 100000% Do you even see what entries the juries push vs the people? And we're talking on average now, not outliers of course.
it‘s as wrong as your assumption that there could be a number higher than 100 followed by % :mrgreen: :ROFLMAO:

A-lister

Veteran
it‘s as wrong as your assumption that there could be a number higher than 100 followed by % :mrgreen: :ROFLMAO:
Sorry... 10000000000000x2 % lol

Obviously I know 100% is the max but the point is still the same

hijirio

Veteran
Girl I swear some ESC fans cannot understand what they read kldfgjdfhk

If grannies baking bread or men on hamster wheel qualify, it's not going to be because of the new system. They would have qualified regardless, and in the final the jury will be able to balance out their points just like they used to do. It is not changing the final outcome at all. As a matter of fact, the jury rarely impacted the qualification chances of a gimmicky act.

The main motive of the new system is to avoid fraud. Indeed, a pannel of 6 juries is so easy to rig. It blows my mind why it took so long to actually realize. I don't think the incident last year was the first one of its kind.

I'm not against the juries per se, I am radically against how they are being used at the moment.

There should be at least 50 juries, and a clear guideline to remind them this is not "the Voice of Europe" but a "SONG CONTEST!!"

Top Bottom