10 5.7%

• Total voters

ESC United Mod Team

Super Moderator
flag-800.png

A-lister

Veteran
most uninspiring country in esc.
no quirk, no kitsch, no colors... always the same classic musical boundaries, this behaviour doesn't fit the eurovision's spirit.
I want to see some unrefined pop music from this country, but it's a futile hope.

i have zero interest but good luck anyway.

Måneskin and Mahmood (2019) were uninspired? Each to their own I guess... I think they were like nothing else we normally would get in Eurovision.

hijirio

Veteran
Måneskin and Mahmood (2019) were uninspired? Each to their own I guess... I think they were like nothing else we normally would get in Eurovision.
yeah, mahmood was okay but still uninspiring. nothing new. as you said, each to their own

nudiecrudi

Beyond all the polemics or personal tastes, saying Italy is an uninspiring esc country is sacrilege. Bringing only pop dance songs.often without quality and not appreciated by the wide public, doesn't mean being inspiring
Since 2011, Italian esc new era, I could mention 4 examples of inspired and diverse Italian esc spirit. Il Volo Gabbani Mahmoud 2019 and Maneskin. Just try to leave aside your personal and preferred genres of music, it's undeniable that these Italian esc acts have become icons in their own ways.
On the other side we miss something alla Chanel/ Eleni Fureira or ethnic but in this moment the Italian music scene doesn't have presentable rappresentatives of those kind of music. Or maybe they don't want, or have the possibility, to go to Sanremo. The only option of this kind could be Elodie but I doubt she could ever win Sanremo.

Mainshow

Veteran
2011 was pretty unique and different to what we get at Eurovision as well.

2014 was different for Italy as well.

And one could argue that the gorilla was some sort of gimmick, kitsch or whatever.

Personally, I think that Italy has always been authentic, representing the music scene of Italy.
Of course, they could have been more daring or bolder but all in a, we've got several nuances of pop music/rap/jazz/rock/opera in just a single decade.
Sounds wise, Italy has been more unique and "different" than other Eurovision participants in recent times,.imo,.e.g. UK, Sweden or Germany to just name a few.

Looren

Veteran
Guys it's their opinion, no need to make such a big deal :lol:

I don't agree with Hiji but well it's their opinion and let's respect it :D

hijirio

Veteran
Beyond all the polemics or personal tastes, saying Italy is an uninspiring esc country is sacrilege. Bringing only pop dance songs.often without quality and not appreciated by the wide public, doesn't mean being inspiring
Since 2011, Italian esc new era, I could mention 4 examples of inspired and diverse Italian esc spirit. Il Volo Gabbani Mahmoud 2019 and Maneskin. Just try to leave aside your personal and preferred genres of music, it's undeniable that these Italian esc acts have become icons in their own ways.
Those entries might have inspired you, but it's quite a subjective term to begin with. Italian entries are diverse, yes, but they are each very typical and classic representations of rock, opera, jazz etc. We don't get any synths, any EDM or pop even though this is the most mainstream music all over Europe. I am not saying Italy is on the wrong track, it seems to be successful for them, but I'm saying it's just not for me.
The only option of this kind could be Elodie but I doubt she could ever win Sanremo.
This is where the problem begins. A woman singing pop will never win Sanremo.

nudiecrudi

This is where the problem begins. A woman singing pop will never win Sanremo.
This is not the problem
The problem is that we haven't had such good options valid a Sanremo win.
Consider that a glam rock song and an rb urban rap song won so even a qualitative dance pop song could win.
Something similar to Chanel would never win Sanremo because '' tiengo monetary'' and a good dancing ability isn't enough.
The Italian public gave 0 to Chanel if I remember well.
Ana Oxa and Alexa have won Sanremo in the past with good pop songs.

hijirio

Veteran
This is not the problem
Consider that a glam rock song and an rb urban rap song won so even a qualitative dance pop song could win.
Something similar to Chanel would never win Sanremo because '' tiengo monetary'' and a good dancing ability isn't enough.
The Italian public gave 0 to Chanel if I remember well.
Ana Oxa and Alexa have won Sanremo in the past with good pop songs.
What is "tiengo monetary" even? 💀 The song that you are looking down on has brought Spain its best result in decades, and it would have won any other year if it weren't for Ukraine sucking up all the televotes.

Italian public is too conservative to appreciate such an unrefined slutpop (so are you, making fun of song's kinky lyrics etc). Believe it or not, today's music industry gives total artistic freedom to singers and allows them to sing about anything, from sugar daddies to threesomes. Hello Italy, it's 2023 in 3 months xqueenbitch Is you still stuck in 80s?

Zerocalcare

Hijirio forgot La Rappresentante di Lista and the success "Ciao Ciao" had. Moreover, he speaks not knowing the Italian music scene at all. To mention some singers of the past, Renato Zero (first of all), Ivan Cattaneo and Cristiano Malgioglio and Loredana Bertè brought to Italy a genre of music, entertainment and clothing that were unconventional (in an era where taboos and bigotry). To cite some modern examples: Achille Lauro, La Representative di Lista, Elettra Lamborghini and Myss Keta (bad singers), Fabrizio Moro (even challenging the Mafia on stage), the Måneskin and the duo Mahmood and Blanco challenged the classicism of the Sanremo stage. What he does not understand is that in Italy the provocation as an end in itself does not win, but the provocation that has a true message and musical quality. All kinds of artists that Hijirio likes are capable of using fireworks, bringing pre-made, mundane and forgettable songs, which fill their works with symbolic acts devoid of depth (the typical remote controlled or fashion-following revolutionary artists) and with performances that border on the vulgar and the bad taste (like "Sekret" of Albania). He is free to love what he wants but this is the objectivity of things. Regarding Spain, on the other hand, I think she deserved to win the ESC 2022 because Chanel was provocative, original, she brought a unique choreography and energy and showed to all the nations that have abused the "Spanish style" who the real masters are. Unfortunately, here I have read people (who consider themselves open-minded and unconventional) being shocked by the lyrics of "SloMo", Chanel's skimpy dresses and poses they consider too sexy. What won at ESC 2022? Politics and fake symbolic acts. Who finished second? A very classic English song (beautiful but nothing new). Are we sure that the ESC stage is less conservative than the Sanremo stage? Yet I see that in recent years it has been the songs of Sanremo together with a few others in Europe that have brought a breath of fresh air. #acceptit #eatandgotosleep

elanyvx

This is not the problem
I think the problem is much bigger.
The last woman winner of the Festival is Arisa (2014)
As for Sanremo Giovani, always Arisa in 2009, after her all men, for example Gualazzi, Gabbani, Rocco Hunt, Mahmood, Ultimo, Leo Gassmann, Gaudiano, etc

The only women for Italy at Eurovision were chosen internally (Emma 2014) or as non-winner of the Festival
- Francesca Michielin 2nd (2016)
- Nina Zilli among all the participants (2012), with a female podium (Emma, Arisa, Noemi)

If it were not for this choice, probably no woman would have taken part in Eurovision. In 2016 there were supposed to be the band Stadio that (fortunately) refused the invitation. In 2014 if Emma hadn't gone internally, Arisa would probably have definitely accepted. And in 2012, with an all-female podium, only Nina Zilli, seventh classified, accepted the invitation.

There is always a different regulation in Sanremo, but the reality is that in any case a woman has not won since 2014 among the Big singers. Best recent result for solo women:
- Elisa in 2nd place in 2022,
- Annalisa 3rd place in 2018
- Fiorella Mannoia 2nd in 2017

nudiecrudi

What is "tiengo monetary" even? 💀 The song that you are looking down on has brought Spain its best result in decades, and it would have won any other year if it weren't for Ukraine sucking up all the televotes.

Italian public is too conservative to appreciate such an unrefined slutpop (so are you, making fun of song's kinky lyrics etc). Believe it or not, today's music industry gives total artistic freedom to singers and allows them to sing about anything, from sugar daddies to threesomes. Hello Italy, it's 2023 in 3 months xqueenbitch Is you still stuck in 80s?
No one was denigrating Chanel, I like the song.
But if you think that you are progressive and contemporary because you listen to slut pop song, baby you're completely wrong and 40 years late. Donna Sumner with Love to love you baby and Madonna with Like a virgin opened the doors of what you call progress and freedom of expression. So dont try to give lessons of modernity or contemporary my dear.

hijirio

Veteran
No one was denigrating Chanel, I like the song.
But if you think that you are progressive and contemporary because you listen to slut pop song, baby you're completely wrong and 40 years late. Donna Sumner with Love to love you baby and Madonna with Like a virgin opened the doors of what you call progress and freedom of expression. So dont try to give lessons of modernity or contemporary my dear.
The examples that you give for slutpop already reveal how traditional you are. Very Italian of you, I must say :D You should be a jury in Sanremo, you would do a great job.

As you said yourself, these singers "opened the doors" of slutpop, but we left that behind 40 years ago xyawn

Today when we say slutpop we're talking rather about:

nudiecrudi

The examples that you give for slutpop already reveal how traditional you are. Very Italian of you, I must say :D You should be a jury in Sanremo, you would do a great job.

As you said yourself, these singers "opened the doors" of slutpop, but we left that behind 40 years ago xyawn

Today when we say slutpop we're talking rather about:

OH yes. All of them will be on the pages of music history.
Listening trash doesn't make you modern and contemporary
But hey I will leave you in your conviction as a guru of slut pop progression

hijirio

Veteran
OH yes. All of them will be on the pages of music history.
They already are?
Most Italian singers though hardly manage to crack the Italian bubble and open to global market, bar a few exceptions.

hijirio

Veteran
Top Bottom