Contact us

How many countries will join?

Loindici

Veteran
Let's predict how many countries will join 2023 edition since some broadcasters got some drama with EBU and Ukraine won the contest.

rasmuslights

Veteran
out of the remaining countries, my prediction:

- in: armenia, azerbaijan, czech republic, moldova
- out: montenegro, n. macedonia, turkey, hungary
- 50/50: bulgaria, slovakia

A-lister

Veteran
out of the remaining countries, my prediction:

- in: armenia, azerbaijan, czech republic, moldova
- out: montenegro, n. macedonia, turkey, hungary
- 50/50: bulgaria, slovakia

I think no one expected Turkey or Hungary to rejoin any time soon?

Slovakia as well, plus they officially said no so we can count them out.

I'm a bit worried about Montenegro and N. Macedonia too, but crossing my fingers we won't see any countries leaving.

Bulgaria, well 2022 was surely an attempt to make a bad excuse for leaving in the next year, I hope that's not the case...

ESC94

I think no one expected Turkey or Hungary to rejoin any time soon?

Slovakia as well, plus they officially said no so we can count them out.

I'm a bit worried about Montenegro and N. Macedonia too, but crossing my fingers we won't see any countries leaving.

Bulgaria, well 2022 was surely an attempt to make a bad excuse for leaving in the next year, I hope that's not the case...

In my opinion :bg: didn´t even try this year, they simply thought that riding the Maneskin wave would be enough to do well.

A-lister

Veteran
In my opinion :bg: didn´t even try this year, they simply thought that riding the Maneskin wave would be enough to do well.

Well I agree, they certainly didn't try, I don't see any Måneskin comparison though? Not all rock is the same, San Marino was more a weak attempt at copying Måneskin if anything.

ESC94

Well I agree, they certainly didn't try, I don't see any Måneskin comparison though? Not all rock is the same, San Marino was more a weak attempt at copying Måneskin if anything.

I didn´t compare the songs, I just wanted to say that they might have been encouraged to send a rock song after the huge success of Maneskin last year and thought they could do the same.

Well, in the end they didn´t. :lol:

rasmuslights

Veteran
actually, bulgaria's flop can easily be explained.

the old team (responsible for Victoria, Equinox...) was meant to stay but IMP had the money therefore they bought their way into the competition, and the old team resigned.

that's what happened.

A-lister

Veteran
actually, bulgaria's flop can easily be explained.

the old team (responsible for Victoria, Equinox...) was meant to stay but IMP had the money therefore they bought their way into the competition, and the old team resigned.

that's what happened.

Yeah this, but it's just sad that such a complete waste of song could corrupt their way in.

Then why not chalga at least, Payner Music is like a super rich label from my understanding, they even get EU funds for "enrichening Bulgarian culture" :lol:

A-lister

Veteran
I didn´t compare the songs, I just wanted to say that they might have been encouraged to send a rock song after the huge success of Maneskin last year and thought they could do the same.
I hear you, maybe you're right. Just that rock is a wide genre so it's a bit far stretched maybe. It was just a bad entry plain and simple :lol:
Well, in the end they didn´t. :lol:
Hehe, just to clarify it was this part of your response that made me put a "laughing" like ;)

Bobjan FR

If there is not at least one less country than last year i would be surprised. In the context Europe is now, with financial struggles and positioning about pro/against Russia, it's two new reasons of not participating. And i'm afraid it could continue for some years.

rasmuslights

Veteran
If there is not at least one less country than last year i would be surprised. In the context Europe is now, with financial struggles and positioning about pro/against Russia, it's two new reasons of not participating. And i'm afraid it could continue for some years.

yeah, we're definitely getting at least 2 withdrawals...

NemesisNick

According to Wikipedia, the following countries will participate in ESC 2023:
Albania, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom.

The following took part in ESC 2022 but are currently unconfirmed whether or not they will participate in ESC 2023:
Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia.

Is there any reason why these countries haven't confirmed participation so far? I think the deadline to confirm participation is usually in the middle of October.

rasmuslights

Veteran
According to Wikipedia, the following countries will participate in ESC 2023:
Albania, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom.

The following took part in ESC 2022 but are currently unconfirmed whether or not they will participate in ESC 2023:
Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia.

Is there any reason why these countries haven't confirmed participation so far? I think the deadline to confirm participation is usually in the middle of October.

well,

armenia and azerbaijan usually both confirm late + the conflict may have delayed the confirmation (armenia is hosting jesc and probs focusing on it).

bulgaria stated that they are still not sure, whether they will participate or not.

czech republic usually confirms early, so they probably have some issues similar to bulgaria.

moldova never confirms and just appears on the final list.

montenegro and n. macedonia could both withdraw.

Mainshow

Veteran
I can´t see Armenia not taking part after "Snap" became an international hit. Also, them hosting Junior Eurovision and not taking part in Eurovision wouldn´t make sense at all.

Since Ukraine won and Moldova has been threatened by RuZZia as well, I can´t think of them not taking part. It´s a great way to showcase their spirit, culture, etc.

I can totally see Bulgaria withdraw since they solely rely on sponsors. Maybe they haven´t found anyone interested in bear most/all costs.

I don´t like the trend of a few countries considering to withdraw from the competition after failing a few times (like Slovenia already officially announced that there was a debate going on) but I can somehow see Montenegro thinking the same way with a different outcome (Slovenia decided to take part, thank God).

North Macedonia is a strange case, imo. They almost qualified. I´m still shocked to see them finishing #11 with such a stupid entry. Maybe this will push/motivate them to get another spot in the final again? - But who knows how much that "flag incident" will be taken into account...

ESC94

I can´t see Armenia not taking part after "Snap" became an international hit. Also, them hosting Junior Eurovision and not taking part in Eurovision wouldn´t make sense at all.

Since Ukraine won and Moldova has been threatened by RuZZia as well, I can´t think of them not taking part. It´s a great way to showcase their spirit, culture, etc.

I can totally see Bulgaria withdraw since they solely rely on sponsors. Maybe they haven´t found anyone interested in bear most/all costs.

I don´t like the trend of a few countries considering to withdraw from the competition after failing a few times (like Slovenia already officially announced that there was a debate going on) but I can somehow see Montenegro thinking the same way with a different outcome (Slovenia decided to take part, thank God).

North Macedonia is a strange case, imo. They almost qualified. I´m still shocked to see them finishing #11 with such a stupid entry. Maybe this will push/motivate them to get another spot in the final again? - But who knows how much that "flag incident" will be taken into account...

Well, they only ended up 11th because of these random :12: by the :de: jury (WTF), pointwise there were still 20 points between them and :az:, too much for me to really count as "barely missing the final". In the televote btw this bombed really hard.

12Pointsgoto.....

I feel like I am the only one who actually had circles qualify. I do think that the flag incident could be a deciding factor, as they nearly threatened withdrawing last year because of it. She did break macedonian law, and for a country that doesn't have a big motivation to join esc this can be the reason they won't join.

Also I am surprised that slovenia even considered withdrawing because of 2 non-qualifications in a row. They had a couple of good results in the past decade and qualified most of the time.

Top Bottom