Contact us

Where will it be hosted?

Synergise

While I understand why, it is disappointing that Bristol didn't make it. I really don't like the South West being lumped in with London - it gets massively overlooked as a region, and the 'South gets everything' mentality really undermines some of the serious damage that has been done to the TV and entertainment industry in the South West over the past 15 years.

Of the 7 cities still in contention, my personal preference is Birmingham, but I also think it's probably the least likely given that it just hosted the Commonwealth Games. I really think we're going to Manchester.

theCONWEL

WorldVision & OM Mod
Staff member
Come on Newcastle and Birmingham 🥳

Nicfedy

I really don’t mind but think Liverpool would be my favourite even though details of the bid are not public yet. The only downside would be flashbacks of Jemini, who would likely pop up again to regurgitate their excruciating performance n 2003.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Knew all along London wouldn't make the cut, for a while now the focus has been to direct events away from London to other places, with their massive southern privilege they've had far too much for far too long. Generally I'd be happy with any of this shortlist hosting except Birmingham, which like I said before, hosted last time and just literally had the Commonwealth Games. I guess for closeness i should be backing Sheffield, then for ease of travel Manchester and then Liverpool or Leeds.

Ali_

Lol at people on the Instagram post confused why London isn't there.

Rocket man

While I understand why, it is disappointing that Bristol didn't make it. I really don't like the South West being lumped in with London - it gets massively overlooked as a region, and the 'South gets everything' mentality really undermines some of the serious damage that has been done to the TV and entertainment industry in the South West over the past 15 years.

Of the 7 cities still in contention, my personal preference is Birmingham, but I also think it's probably the least likely given that it just hosted the Commonwealth Games. I really think we're going to Manchester.
Agreed. I find it a bit annoying that Bristol gets grouped with London because we're both Southern English cities. It would help though if Bristol city council could finally get that arena built (supposedly 2024) and improve public transport.

My personal preference would be Manchester (love this city), or maybe Glasgow because Scotland have only hosted Eurovision once when no-one remembers it. Birmingham won't win the bid but they did host a brilliant Commonwealth games this year and I'm sure they would do a brilliant job too.

AlekS

Veteran
I'm happy it's 7 finalists, given the number of interested cities.

My top 3 would be:

1. Glasgow ... the most comfortable, the best acoustics, high ceiling, strong roof. The Eurovision movie, Celine Dion concert right before Eurovision, that would be epic.
2. Liverpool ... the only minus is lower capacity, and probably the gigs they will have to cancel.
3. Manchester ... bigger capacity = more money, shittier acoustics. The EBU is not into large arenas recently.

I like Leeds, but I'm not sure about the shape of the arena. Others have no chances due to location or/and capacity.

MopManMoss

Veteran
Sorry but I’m still laughing at the idea that northern England is privileged especially when it comes to Eurovision hosting given that out of the 8 times we have previously hosted

Southern England 5x (London 4x, Brighton 1x)
Midlands 1x (Birmingham)
Northern England 1x (Scotland)
Scotland 1x (Edinburgh)

Personally I want it to be Glasgow out of the shortlisted cities despite living in Yorkshire but anyone complaining about the lack of southern cities on the shortlist is ridiculous

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Gurl not ITV saying we last won in 1969. I've been triggered all evening by it.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Sorry but I’m still laughing at the idea that northern England is privileged especially when it comes to Eurovision hosting given that out of the 8 times we have previously hosted

Southern England 5x (London 4x, Brighton 1x)
Midlands 1x (Birmingham)
Northern England 1x (Scotland)
Scotland 1x (Edinburgh)

Personally I want it to be Glasgow out of the shortlisted cities despite living in Yorkshire but anyone complaining about the lack of southern cities on the shortlist is ridiculous

Didn't you hear Rishi Sunak? Northern Urban areas have had far too much money, thats why he changed that to funnel it off to the southern Tory shires. 👀

The Ovo in Glasgow has a round shape to it's arena, instead of the typical rectangular one we're used to. So If Glasgow is picked, I imagine we will see a more unique stage, greenroom etc. I'm gonna lean from Glasgow and say that I think it will be Manchester. For numerous reason to do with connectivity across the country but also because it has the largest Ukrainian population outside of London.

EscUKFan

The main issue I’ve seen against Manchester is that there’s a lack of space for the press centre. There’s both the Stoller Hall and New Century Hall within about a two minute walk from the arena, so I think it’s very much still in the mix when it comes to that.

I’ve also seen some comments that football matches taking place during Eurovision week would sway the choice. Do people really think the FA wouldn’t reschedule a couple of Premier League matches so the BBC could host the biggest music event in the world?! :LOL:

I didn’t realise how strange the Hydro was shaped until today tbh! Throw in Manchester having by far the biggest capacity (allowing them to have a big stage and in-arena green room) I really do think/hope they’re a frontrunner.

Loindici

Veteran
I like Leeds, but I'm not sure about the shape of the arena. Others have no chances due to location or/and capacity.

images

I mean, the R's seem to make it work in 2009, although it also involved a HUGE ASS backscreen.

4-6.jpg

PiK in Albania is also a fan-configured venue, and they could make it work too.

images

The show in Crystal Hall can also be considered a fan-shaped set.

The conclusion:

leeds-arena-4.jpg

imageresizer

image.jpg

Don't worry, the FD Arena can still do it.

AlekS

Veteran
The conclusion:

leeds-arena-4.jpg
The fan zone looks very small
YVJYVRq.gif
They will have to dismantle at least 10 sitting rows.
And it's not only that, in order to show the whole stage from the front they will have to shoot from like 20th row of the sitting area, meaning they should dismantle approx. 30-50 seats behind them or use a spidercam which will limit a TV picture.
All of this is possible... I mean, look at Parisian JESC venue (they had no options really, during pandemics a venue with a small fan zone in the capital was the only choice if they wanted to have people in the audience).
There are way better options than this.

HarryUK

You say this like there is anywhere adequate to host Eurovision in the south outside of London (maybe Bristol that’s about it) also southern privilege is absolutely a thing I can say that having lived in both northern and southern England, regional inequality in this country is the worst in Europe so I really wouldn’t get upset at there being 5 northern cities on this list of 7
I'm not upset and it's really not that deep lol. I'm pleased for the 7 cities. I personally would like Birmingham, Manchester or Liverpool.

musicfan

You say this like there is anywhere adequate to host Eurovision in the south outside of London (maybe Bristol that’s about it) also southern privilege is absolutely a thing I can say that having lived in both northern and southern England, regional inequality in this country is the worst in Europe so I really wouldn’t get upset at there being 5 northern cities on this list of 7
There's been plenty of inequality, though it's cheaper at least. But I don't know what the exact comparison is on it being the worst in Europe, apart from just your feeling.

Romeo

imageresizer
BREAKING NEWS!!!

Eurovision 2023 will be hosted in LIVERPOOL!

It will be just as equating as Lisbon but with technology used. Waterfront venue arriving on local boats for the red carpet (red because Liverpool is red) I’ve been working with Liverpool council and I’m about to submit my final ideas. Anyone who knows me will know I have literally every aspect of everything covered even toilet breaks.

Romeo

imageresizer
BREAKING NEWS!!!

Eurovision 2023 will be hosted in LIVERPOOL!

It will be just as equating as Lisbon but with technology used. Waterfront venue arriving on local boats for the red carpet (red because Liverpool is red) I’ve been working with Liverpool council and I’m about to submit my final ideas. Anyone who knows me will know I have literally every aspect of everything covered even toilet breaks.
Not a real ‘breaking news’ but I just want a Liverpool promo 🤪

Top Bottom