- Glasgow
- Leeds
- Liverpool
- London
- Manchester
- Sheffield

Loindici

Veteran
Keep Scott Mills, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Petra Mede, Måns Zelmerlöw, Louis Walsh, Ulrika Jonsson, Amanda Holden, and the like, as far away from it as possible...

I second this. So, so much.

JonasS

BoJo would rather take the risk to take people into a warzone lol

"It's a year away. It's going to be fine by the time the Eurovision Song Contest comes around and I hope they get it."
It's going to be just fine in one year. I would like to know how he's so sure about that. Some kind of fortunetelling maybe?

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
BoJo would rather take the risk to take people into a warzone lol

"It's a year away. It's going to be fine by the time the Eurovision Song Contest comes around and I hope they get it."
It's going to be just fine in one year. I would like to know how he's so sure about that. Some kind of fortunetelling maybe?

Hes just paying lip service to Ukraine where hes just been. He knows they can't host it, people can't even fly into the country even.

Ianp16

All this drama. Ugh.

The cold hard facts are that hosting a global (or even small) event in a country currently at war is a ridiculous. It's purely inconceivable and that is that. There is nothing more to it.

As for the UK hosting... I personally feel like I would've preferred for the UK to host on its own terms, after their OWN win. This will be a difficult ceremony to put together with Ukrainians, EBU staff and many opinions and factors influencing what should be a nation's autonomy to make a show that reflects them and not something that has to be about another nation. This will be a bit of a "poisoned chalice" if you ask me. Still, it will be exciting to see how a modern ESC contest looks in the UK. I just wish it wasn't so political.

Also... Being a Mancunian I would actually prefer the contest to be held in Glasgow, Cardiff or Liverpool. The AO Arena is ugly as fuck from the outside and would not look cute. Neither does Manchester have a waterfront, unlike the others. Call me weird but Manchester... No.

Last edited:

dixenborg

All this drama. Ugh.

The cold hard facts are that hosting an global (or even small) event in a country currently at war is a ridiculous. It's purely inconceivable and that is that. There is nothing more to it.

As for the UK hosting... I personally feel like I would've preferred for the UK to host on its own terms, after their OWN win. This will be a difficult ceremony to put together with Ukrainians, EBU staff and many opinions and factors influencing what should be a nation's autonomy to make a show that reflects them and not something that has to be about another nation. This will be a bit of a "poisoned chalice" if you ask me. Still, it will be exciting to see how a modern ESC contest looks in the UK. I just wish it wasn't so political.
No country has autonomy at Eurovision. Everything has to be approved by the EBU. It’s their show.

EliGrant6

Aside from Ukraine fighting off the evil forces to the east, I don't understand why every year when the host country start the host selection process that broadcasters even consider cities with no venue or open air stadiums. I understand that cities like Lviv and Uzhhorod might be the safest parts of Ukraine at the moment, but they don't even have venues that could host the event. Even if Ukraine wasn't at war, where in Uzhhorod stage the contest? Why does this happen every year? The EBU puts out the same list of requirements for hosting every year and every year some city with no venue comes out and claims they can host it in a field in a giant tent, and the EBU always rejects them. With the 2017 contest we learned that Kyiv it the only place in Ukraine that has a suitable venue. Why do through the whole this whole process at all when Kyiv is the only city with the needed facilities?

AlekS

Veteran
The cold hard facts are that hosting a global (or even small) event in a country currently at war is a ridiculous.
At least 2 countries during the last 10 years have already hosted the event while being currently at war (with Russia being involved in both those wars btw).

Aside from Ukraine fighting off the evil forces to the east, I don't understand why every year when the host country start the host selection process that broadcasters even consider cities with no venue or open air stadiums. I understand that cities like Lviv and Uzhhorod might be the safest parts of Ukraine at the moment, but they don't even have venues that could host the event. Even if Ukraine wasn't at war, where in Uzhhorod stage the contest? Why does this happen every year? The EBU puts out the same list of requirements for hosting every year and every year some city with no venue comes out and claims they can host it in a field in a giant tent, and the EBU always rejects them. With the 2017 contest we learned that Kyiv it the only place in Ukraine that has a suitable venue. Why do through the whole this whole process at all when Kyiv is the only city with the needed facilities?
I don't understand why you say this without seeing the official documents :unsure: From what I know now, Uzhorod had a location out of town and it was similar to 2017 venue. Lviv could offer 2 venues, with 1 being technically suitable for sure, but it needed more time & preparations than the other candidates.
In 2017 Kyiv and Odesa had suitable venues ;), with Odesa being lobbied by the most powerful EBU officials. Assuming that things stayed the same like 5 years ago is super biased. It's not 2017, so you can add Dnipro, Ternopil, Lviv and Uzhhorod.

Last edited:

EliGrant6

Okay, then tell me. What has changed since 2017? Have any new venues been built or venues adapted to host an event like this? I know Lviv ( and Odesa in 2017) have large stadiums that can host a concert event but would need to add a load baring. How expensive is it to build a temporary roof that can support the lighting and sound system? My guess is that it's very expensive, and much easier to use a venue with a fixed roof, and that is why this proposal always comes up. I can't imagine what Eurovision would be like without the lighting and sound systems that come with an event like this.
I've just noticed a pattern that every year (it seems to me) when it comes time for the venue to be selected, one city in the host country proposes an open air arena (Jesolo/Matera/Trieste in 2022, Teddy Stadium in Jerusalem 2019). It baffles me because the list of requirements for the proposed venue never changes but these plans still get put forth.

As for my speculation on where it'll be, I can only go off the information provided my news outlets, specifically this one, where it's states that these were the 3 cities proposed by the UA PBC.

If the EBU does decide to reverse course and host the contest in Ukraine, I still think their going to with Kyiv over Lviv because of the roofing issue and would select 2005 venue the Palace of Sport or the 2017 venue.

ESCConor

I cant see the EBU changing their minds sadly. Looks like the UK is hosting next year.

randajad

Veteran
At least UK has an impressive list of indoor arenas, we won’t have problem with that. I am more interested in hosts, it would be interesting to see who will they put forward. Looking forward the British show. xcheer

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
At least UK has an impressive list of indoor arenas, we won’t have problem with that. I am more interested in hosts, it would be interesting to see who will they put forward. Looking forward the British show. xcheer

The list of possible bids could be very long, even from towns and cities you wouldn't think about. The list of possibilities is huge, but imo we can easily rule out London or anywhere down south. It will be in the North of England, Wales or Scotland.

AlekS

Veteran
Okay, then tell me. What has changed since 2017? Have any new venues been built or venues adapted to host an event like this? I know Lviv ( and Odesa in 2017) have large stadiums that can host a concert event but would need to add a load baring. How expensive is it to build a temporary roof that can support the lighting and sound system? My guess is that it's very expensive, and much easier to use a venue with a fixed roof, and that is why this proposal always comes up. I can't imagine what Eurovision would be like without the lighting and sound systems that come with an event like this.
I've just noticed a pattern that every year (it seems to me) when it comes time for the venue to be selected, one city in the host country proposes an open air arena (Jesolo/Matera/Trieste in 2022, Teddy Stadium in Jerusalem 2019). It baffles me because the list of requirements for the proposed venue never changes but these plans still get put forth.

As for my speculation on where it'll be, I can only go off the information provided my news outlets, specifically this one, where it's states that these were the 3 cities proposed by the UA PBC.

If the EBU does decide to reverse course and host the contest in Ukraine, I still think their going to with Kyiv over Lviv because of the roofing issue and would select 2005 venue the Palace of Sport or the 2017 venue.
Imho, the EBU will not reverse its course and rightfully so. Dnipro decided to renovate their 2017 bid into a modern arena, tho the renovation was interrupted by the war. Same for Ternopil, but they build from scratch. Both projects can be finished within a year, but it's too risky so they lose to 2 arenas in Kyiv. If not the war, we could have had 7 suitable indoor arenas by the end of 2024. As for temporary roofs, Odesa 2017 could have had a transformer-like roof/cover that could be dismantled and shipped/rented to another venue, factory etc. after Eurovision was over. So after all it wouldn't be that expensive as you think.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
British media (e.g. Guardian) are reporting on Brussels wanting to host Eurovision.

This bid would see the Belgian capital host the contest on behalf of Ukraine as a gesture of solidarity from the “capital of the EU”.

Mainshow

Veteran
We support the position of UA:pBC and the Ukrainian authorities, in which they call for negotiations on the organization of the competition with the participation of representatives of the country-winner of this year’s Eurovision Song Contest.

We assure you of our continued support for the Ukrainian public broadcaster in the search for such an organizational model for next year’s Eurovision 2023 competition, which will take into account the largest possible share of Ukrainian creators and producers as well as the audience from this country.

randajad

Veteran
The list of possible bids could be very long, even from towns and cities you wouldn't think about. The list of possibilities is huge, but imo we can easily rule out London or anywhere down south. It will be in the North of England, Wales or Scotland.
The list of provisional applicants is already impressive, but I want Glasgow just for that one ABBA song reference 🙏🏻

Top Bottom