Contact us

The professional Jury Thread 2022

Realest

Surprised that noone opened it until yet.

Lets discuss all Highlights/Trivia/Fun Facts/ Scandals about this Years Juryvoting.

Navn Navnes

Why did They give so few points to Iceland and Lithuania?, seemed like songs music profesionals should like to me. Don't understand them, only realy agreed with the juries on Portugal.

midnightsun

Veteran
I dont see how countries not giving Ukraine any jury votes is "shady" or "sad"

Because some juries tend to vote for non-favourite countries if their own country is a contender for the win. The non-favourites are not a threat to them. We‘ve noticed this for example in 2017 when Italy - Portugal - Bulgaria (at the time top 3 in the betting odds) juries didn’t give low or even any points at all to the other two competing countries. Strategical voting.

ESC_12 points

Because some juries tend to vote for non-favourite countries if their own country is a contender for the win. The non-favourites are not a threat to them. We‘ve noticed this for example in 2017 when Italy - Portugal - Bulgaria (at the time top 3 in the betting odds) juries didn’t give low or even any points at all to the other two competing countries. Strategical voting.
Yes, you are right. I remember in 2010, Germany gave 0 points to Safura, because she was the main rival of Lena.

Loindici

Veteran
and why did the juries downvote the outstanding Serbian entry? thid was also well performed and memorable.

People who professionally deal with music should be able the value such performances even if it is not their personal genre.

Some probable arguments:
  1. Juries tend to vote for more 'commercial' entries, usually radio-friendly or Scandinavian.
  2. Juries tend to be allergic to non-English songs, except if it looks classy or if it's Italy.
  3. Konstrakta doesn't belt 3 octaves like Nadir does.
Still, bagging 87 jury points with a song that perplexing is a feat on its own.

Loindici

Veteran
Why did They give so few points to Iceland and Lithuania?, seemed like songs music profesionals should like to me. Don't understand them, only realy agreed with the juries on Portugal.

I'll repeat my argument about Konstrakta but with more context. Juries tend to be less open to non-English-languaged entries, except if they're Italy, and it seems to happen constantly year by year.

Navn Navnes

I'll repeat my argument about Konstrakta but with more context. Juries tend to be less open to non-English-languaged entries, except if they're Italy, and it seems to happen constantly year by year.
They liked Spain and Netherlands this year , and France and Switzerland last year. But they are big languages, so i think you might be onto something. But it is not a good thing.

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
They liket Spain and Netherlands this year , and France and Switzerland last year. But they are big languages, so i think you might be onto something. But it is not a good thing.

Seems Spain is helped by how Scandi the song sounds, and Netherlands for being in the same 'mood' as Duncan and The Common Linnets.

mitch67

the obvvious fact, that non english songs fail to impress the juries is imo a very valid reason to abolish them. Actually the "televote" appreciates those songs more. and this is what Eurovision is about: I wan tto hear diversity of languages; and I rather hear a song sung in the native tongue than a pathetic attempt to sound "English"..

But after this year s competition there are a lot of questions that the EBU must think about - mostly the question of how non political the contest can pretend to be..

Last edited:

MopManMoss

Veteran
the obvvious fact, that non english songs fail to impress the juries is imo a very valid reason to abolish them. Actually the "televote" appreciates those songs more. and theis is whhat Eurovision is about: I wan tto hear diversity of languages; and I rather hear a song sung in the native tongue than a pathetic attempt to sound "Englsih"..
You say this but 3 of the last 5 eurovision winning songs werent in english and didnt do well with the juries (they all did)

mitch67

I do probably think they at least should get less power. 50 percent of the vote is to much
maybe juries for hte semi
tlevote for the final..
but i agree 5 votes counting the same as millions of inhabitants is not comprehensible, besides juries could be bribed..

FilipFromSweden

and why did the juries downvote the outstanding Serbian entry? thid was also well performed and memorable.

People who proffesionally deal with music should be able the value such performances even if it is not their personal genre.
This mentality ... the juries didn’t downvote it they just prefered other songs

dogmeat

People who proffesionally deal with music should be able the value such performances even if it is not their personal genre.
You can't expect anyone to objectively rate music. Music's role is to build emotions, which are the most subjective thing in the world.

Juries are a collection of relatively unknown singers, music producers, journalists, TV/radio presenters etc.
And here's the problem: most of these people deal with mainstream pop music in their job.

If you bring a bunch of ornithologists to vote for the best animal, don't be surprised when the whole top is comprised of birds.

Loindici

Veteran

Brandt

I didn't follow up the news after the final. So I am still surprised :az: jury gave :12: to :uk: Is it legit result or what?

Loindici

Veteran
I didn't follow up the news after the final. So I am still surprised :az: jury gave :12: to :uk: Is it legit result or what?

But I will ask myself whether Azerbaijan does want to shoot themselves in the foot in front of Russia by giving 12 points to Ukraine, according to the real jury results.

Brandt

But I will ask myself whether Azerbaijan does want to shoot themselves in the foot in front of Russia by giving 12 points to Ukraine, according to the real jury results.
I don't think Mother Russia would be mad if they awarded their lovely neighbors Armenia with the precious 12 points xheart

Top Bottom