Contact us

Live EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2022 FINAL DISCUSSION

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Please use this thread to discuss rehearsals in general and also to follow along with all of the live shows in Turin.

Matt, Melanie and Roy from the ESC United team will be LIVE in Turin over the coming days, with yours truly joining them on the ground in the coming days.

Make sure to join Matt for the round up of Eurovision 2022 rehearsals from 10:00 CET, LIVE on Youtube. Links to all live streams are below;

DAY 1

DAY 2

DAY 3

DAY 4

DAY 5

DAY 6

DAY 7

For individual countries' reactions and interviews, please check out the specific country thread.

Make sure to also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch and our new TikTok account for all of the latest behind the scenes and reaction from Turin!

>>> Click HERE for the Eurovision 2022 rehearsal schedule <<<

Last edited:

Uto

Veteran
There was no way of action from the EBU how to remain completely apolitical in this situation. I believe they chose the least bad option. Hopefully, the next year the war is over and we can return to our usual Eurovision squabbles :)

We don't have a good word for things political that transcend politics. If we had, we would be using it for this occasion.

Daybreak

I think jury votes for Ukraine were also quite bloated. Stefania is definitely not a jury friendly song, it would never come top 4 if they represented elsewhere. Jury would never place a folk song with rap parts anywhere near top 10 lol.

Especially receiving 4x12 points from Baltic juries + Poland was very political and suspish.
Excuse me, the Estonian jury gave 12 points to Sweden and none to Ukraine :D

Mainshow

Veteran
You’re all talking about unfair politics?

Funny that the only juries that gave no points to Ukraine at all are mostly countries that were hoping to win too and that‘s almost the entire top 10!

I‘m disappointed tbh. I thought we would not get another Italy-Portugal-Bulgaria 2017 bias.

This is worse than anything else. I prefer a "flawed" but honest, genuine televoting with all components like (bad) luck, sympathy, empathy, diasopra, neighbouring votes to cruel, cold, calculated and shameful jury votes in which jury members simply don´t vote for an entry "because their own country could win it as well". Such voting pattern harms the contest - not a genuine and honest televoting result.

Ukraine winning was due to the televoters. I´m deliriously happy for them and I´ve also voted for Ukraine (I´ve sent more votes to :uk: and :pl: and :fi: though).
Top 10 countries´juries blanking a great entry/the hot favourite to win the contest is way worse and more "political" than letting millions of European viewers across the continent genuinely vote for their favourite entry/performance.
Patronising all these televoters and viewers by saying that their favourite entry (for whatever reasons they chose a song to be their favourite) are not "good enough to win because you have different favourites" is pathetic, utterly ridiculous and embarrasing.
I will not read any comments on FB or anywhere else but here.

Of course, they got sympathy votes but many countries really loved the entry - I strongly believe they do - otherwise, :md: - another "folklore" entry from that "region" also performed well - ending up being #2 in the televoting - followed by other non-English up-tempo songs. In a Grand Final full of mid-tempo entries and ballads accompanied by brilliant vocals, they went for the most fun entries including local "flavors". - It´s not that difficult to understand.

Last year, all female-led uptempo pop songs flopped - This time, the ballads really underperformed. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
I think jury votes for Ukraine were also quite bloated. Stefania is definitely not a jury friendly song, it would never come top 4 if they represented elsewhere. Jury would never place a folk song with rap parts anywhere near top 10 lol.

Especially receiving 4x12 points from Baltic juries + Poland was very political and suspish.

:lt: also gave :12: to Ukraine in 2021. The chances that folklore entries are also liked by juries from "traditionally non-Western countries" is higher, imo. Germany only received points from "Eastern European countries" back in 2014 (and our entry kinda sounded Polish/Ukrainian as well).

Poland´s original jury votes got rejected by the EBU - they´ve been doing jury deals for a few years now.
It´s no surprise that a fake and "calculated" jury result from countries voting similar to Poland may be in favor of Ukraine.

Ukraine´s jury votes might have been "bloated" this year but honestly, juries needed to rank them 23rd this year to "compensate" the televoting results and people saying that "Stefania" wouldn´t have been lower Top 10 jury material (and at least, televoting Top 3) without the war are lying to themselves.

Journalist

I am glad for the victory of Ukraine, congratulations to all forum members who come from Ukraine. Slava Ukrajini! :ua:

My absolute favorites of the finals were Norway, Spain, Sweden and Poland. If I were to choose which of these countries I would put first on the list, which second and so on I would not be able to decide. I am really delighted with these interpretations and I have only words of praise for them. Spain is perhaps the one that impressed me the most, Chanel did a great job with the team, and the song is top notch. Sweden is standard good for me, as is Norway in recent years, while Poland is not far behind.

I hope that we will have ESC'23 in Ukraine, and that with some magic, Bosnia and Herzegovina will be able to return to the competition as well.

JonasS

First off, congrats to Ukraine! Also nice to see UK and Spain finally getting a well deserved top-spot! (y)

Well regarding the whole thing... There would have been discussions in any case.

Ukraine winning? Political contest!
Ukraine not wining? No solidarity / Russia hacked the vote.

Literally no neutral outcome possible.

But please do keep in mind: Of course this was a victory due to the circumstances, as many people already noted in this thread. Honestly, I can't believe people are denying that and call others names or "salty". Please just look at the numbers for a second: 439 out of maximum of possible 468 televoting points. That record will probably never be broken. And nobody can tell me that this was the strongest entry in Eurovision history.

I'm fine with them winning and anyone can think of it what they want - but people need to stop flat out denying the influence of the war. That's just plain stupid, pardon my language - or willfully provocative.

In 1990 in ZAGREB, THEN YUGOSLAVIA, Italian Toto Cutugno had won the ESC amidst FALL OF BERLIN WALL, AND DISSOLUTION OF USSR AND YUGOSLAVIA, by a decision of JURIES ONLY, with a song UNITE EUROPE!

How was that not political?

ESC has always been political, deal with it and stop crying.

Kalush at least won with a non-political song from the get-go by a decision of the biggest televote in history of competition. The only ones you can be mad at are the Europeans coming together.

Plus may I also add that this fury would have been understandable if the juries stole somebody's win. But given the televote result, Ukraine would have won even with 27 pts only from the juries.

It trully is a paradox that ordinary people who know nothing about music and can't judge any entry objectively are calling out on millions of Europeans who voted this year and every other year by the same non-professional criteria. It's not like you are some experts or authorities in music everybody should look up to.

Also, noone calling out on those who voted for Moldova, with an Eastern-European folklore entry as well, for voting political, by not taking account that Russia occupied Molodva years ago and is next in Russia's invasion /attack plan after they win Odessa.

How come nobody has put the massive televote for Moldova in a political context?

Or in other words, haven't you noticed that 2 European countries occupied by Russia have been no. 1 and no. 2 with televote, earning a combined massive televote of 678 points??

Yeah, so what? Deal with it.

Edit: Konstrakta wrapping up this discussion 🤣

konstrakta-in-corpore-sano.gif

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran
How come nobody has put the massive televote for Moldova in a political context?

I briefly thought about pointing this out too but didn’t want to stir any more controversy. But this is true.

1990 was completely political. Not only Italy. Norway took part with a song called Brandenburger Tor. Austria participated with "no more walls". Germany sang a duet with a Croatian "Free to live".

goncalovieira

So, it is official. RAI just offered theirselves to host ESC 2023 once again in Turin
There are some street rumours that RTP is willing to do the same.

I bims

Veteran
Didn't really enjoy the whole show yesterday not gonna lie.

The running order was unbalanced. The opening and interval acts were really underwhelming and flat out boring. The moderation was incredibly stiff and lacked any humour as if they forgot to write actual jokes and only had the outline ready "[insert joke about italians making a lot of hand gestures]". The weird montages of random past acts was completely pointless, they saw how the Swedes did it and just did it without writing any idea how to make that actually coherent and funny (and by now it's done to death, yes some past acts looked really quirky, we get it).
And my god it was so uncomfortable to watch Damiano visibly in pain while one of the hosts wouldn't stop asking them pointless questions.

I hope Sweden will host next year, I miss Petra... Pernilla Wahlgren would be a great hostess as well.

Top Bottom