Contact us

Live EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2022 FINAL DISCUSSION

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Please use this thread to discuss rehearsals in general and also to follow along with all of the live shows in Turin.

Matt, Melanie and Roy from the ESC United team will be LIVE in Turin over the coming days, with yours truly joining them on the ground in the coming days.

Make sure to join Matt for the round up of Eurovision 2022 rehearsals from 10:00 CET, LIVE on Youtube. Links to all live streams are below;

DAY 1

DAY 2

DAY 3

DAY 4

DAY 5

DAY 6

DAY 7

For individual countries' reactions and interviews, please check out the specific country thread.

Make sure to also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch and our new TikTok account for all of the latest behind the scenes and reaction from Turin!

>>> Click HERE for the Eurovision 2022 rehearsal schedule <<<

Last edited:

hpp0

I would like to write some things about yesterday's show cause it was honestly the first time that I felt like this for an ESC show.

The show yesterday was way too boring and underwhelming for me. I don't really think that the main problem was the show though, but the entries themselves. All of them just felt so uninteresting and flat, I barely managed to enjoy any performances other than Moldova, which was mostly thanks to the crowd. Last year I wasn't fan of most of the songs but when it came down to the actual show I really enjoyed watching them and I was excited but yesterday, I didn't felt like watching the show at all, to the point that after Austria I changed the channel and came back only when the other show I was watching was done. Even during the results, which is usually the most exciting part for me, especially when we get surprises like yesterday, I felt nothing. I hope things will get better for the second semi, cause I like the songs more there and there are some performances that I want to see, but after yesterday, I'm honestly not sure how it will go.

Now about the technical aspect of the show, well I had a big problem with the camera work for most entries, especially Albania, Lithuania and Slovenia (though I believe there some shots that I found bad were intentional). In general the performances weren't looking good for most of the countries and the stage didn't help. It wasn't that much due to the sun cause honestly I completely forgot about it, it wasn't that terrible, it was mostly that the stage itself didn't look good to me. I read from many Greeks that the sound was also bad but I didn't really noticed something probably due to me not paying a lot of attention.

I'm also not a fan of the postcards and the graphics. The postcards would have been fine only with the sceneries and maybe something with each country's flag, these just looked really amateurish. The graphics were really disappointing, I've seen way better graphics in tops on youtube, these felt really lazy.

However in order to write something positive too, the interval act with Diodato (which the Greek broadcaster thought that wasn't worthy enough and decided to place an ad break over it) was stunning, Italy might have lost a back-to-back victory with 2020 getting cancelled. It is also worth to note that for this act the stage looked amazing and the camera shots were actually great. A really beautiful performance far better than anything else on that night. Also I would like to applaud Italy for organizing a fast paced show, I was really surprised that it finished that they were done with the results that quickly and the show was over in 2 hours.

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Oh gosh - I need to vote for Cyprus then. It´s part of my Top 10 - I don´t want to lose it tomorrow :(

If Cyprus NQ then i'll have lost my entire top 3, for the first time. We can't allow it's failure x

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
In other news :se: had some technical issues in todays dress rehearsal which meant their performance needed to be paused for a second.

mauve

Veteran
Well, I'll give my votes to San Marino, Sernia and Czech Republic. I love Finland, but I think enough people will vote for them anyway!

hijirio

Veteran
If Cyprus NQ then i'll have lost my entire top 3, for the first time. We can't allow it's failure x
Having watched Cyprus rehearsal, I'd say they aren't in safe ground, sadly.

And welp, I believe we have the same top 3 lol

Pencissy

Meanwhile, if you place now a 10$ on Greece, you will get a thousand (100/1 odds o_O). I mean Greece isn't a favourite like Ukraine, but it's low risk high value bet.
ur welcome you fellow eurovisionists

spinachpie

With Cyprus, I can see she was singing but you couldn't hear it at at times. Very strange. Is it her or the sound mixing or both?

spinachpie

Meanwhile, if you place now a 10$ on Greece, you will get a thousand (100/1 odds o_O). I mean Greece isn't a favourite like Ukraine, but it's low risk high value bet.
Where is it 100/1?

Leydan

Worldvision Mod
Staff member
Having watched Cyprus rehearsal, I'd say they aren't in safe ground, sadly.

And welp, I believe we have the same top 3 lol

💀 I'd like to say I'll boycott the final if she fails but that obviously isn't true. :lol: I've been nervous for it since I saw the rehearsal clip, hopefully it can push through.

Taste as usual. xqueenbitch

HayashiM

Veteran
Yeah, my guess would be that Ukraine's odds are slightly inflated mostly because of massive backing from people who don't know anything about Eurovision and just follow the "Ukraine + war = Ukraine wins Eurovision" thinking pattern when betting.

I think :ua: still has the biggest chances to win, but those chances aren't the full 50%. Consequently, odds of other countries get affected as well. So :ua: is the greatest favourite, yet everyone else from the frontrunners is most probably a value bet compared to their actual probability of winning.

FilipFromSweden

Guys, I have a question for you: who do you think will be the opener in the Grand Finale? Because I can't see a lot of candidates between the songs already drawn in the first half. Do you think Ireland, Czech Republic or San Marino could open if they'll qualify and they are drawn in the first half? Because, Chanel is a fan favourite (won't open), Subwoolfer I can't see them opening because maybe too gimmicky to open, Ukraine obviously isn't going to open, Armenia could possibly but has a lot of props on stage and probably won't open, France could be an opener but maybe it's too dsrk for being one... Who do you think will open?
100 % Spain or Ukraine

midnightsun

Veteran
Re: betting odds

I know you can bet against a country in specific bets, but we were talking about the winner question. The MAIN or MOST IMPORTANT odds, so to say.
And you can not relate from 'Switzerland not being top 10 in the odds' to 'Switzerland is seen as dull by the people', that would be the wrong conclusion.

Also, people being positive about songs does not mean they are doing well. Official sites / fan press tend to be positive towards most songs.

Re: show / camera
I appreciated a lot of yesterday‘s semi, I really liked the stage and the Italian acts and so on and I get why some Italians defend their country‘s effort, but come on… camera and sound were really bad. Even if you not overanalyze every bit of the technical aspects, it’s clear to see they ruined some parts.

The performance of Norway and France have to be exactly shown in a certain order of camera shots to get a fluid visual narrative. By interrupting the choreography by not following them step by step in their chosen order, it’s just a random messy performance.

Vittra

I enjoyed the show last night very much! The opening and interval acts were great and the quality of the songs were generally pretty high (I went in blind). I'm not very upset about any of the qualifiers except maybe Switzerland, but eh whatever.

The hosts (Alessandro xlove) were not any worse than usual. Hosting a huge live show must be difficult, especially when it's not in your native language. They did fine. The postcards are odd though. And the stage looks...weird. I guess it's because of the sun? I haven't followed the drama. Looking forward to tomorrow :)

nudiecrudi

The performance of Norway and France have to be exactly shown in a certain order of camera shots to get a fluid visual narrative. By interrupting the choreography by not following them step by step in their chosen order, it’s just a random messy performance.
I understand your point of view but the problem is that France and Norway have controlled all their rehearsals and have given to the producers their inputs to improve what was done.
Just to clarify, I'm not defending my country in this case, many things should have been done better but about fixing the details is done in collaboration with the national teams. Maybe these teams wanted camera angles like this? I don't think producers want to destroy or damage any performance.

NemesisNick

Here is a reaction video, which I filmed when the ten qualifiers of the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 First Semi-Final were announced last night (Tuesday 10 May 2022).

Gwendal

ChaChaLand (without Ryan Gosling :( emoji sadboi)
In other news :se: had some technical issues in todays dress rehearsal which meant their performance needed to be paused for a second.
And we can't say it's the most complicated staging this year...
(PS: I'm frustrated about tuesday's show but I won't say anything about it, because... because. But I'm disappointed by my Italian neighbours.)

eurovizian

The hosts (Alessandro xlove) were not any worse than usual. Hosting a huge live show must be difficult, especially when it's not in your native language. They did fine.
Italy has a 60 million population. I would think, even if Italy is known for its corruption and half-assed attitude, there would be someone better suited?

Ajeje Brazorf

I wonder who is going to be SF2's "Albania". I hope it's not Cyprus. Germany can vote in the 2nd SF. I will definitely vote for her and maybe Czechia and Serbia. I have a feeling Estonia will be a NQer. He is in my Top 10 right now. I hope it's not him either.

It's gonna be Estonia in my opinion...

Top Bottom