Contact us

Live EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2022 FINAL DISCUSSION

Sean

Admin
Staff member
Please use this thread to discuss rehearsals in general and also to follow along with all of the live shows in Turin.

Matt, Melanie and Roy from the ESC United team will be LIVE in Turin over the coming days, with yours truly joining them on the ground in the coming days.

Make sure to join Matt for the round up of Eurovision 2022 rehearsals from 10:00 CET, LIVE on Youtube. Links to all live streams are below;

DAY 1

DAY 2

DAY 3

DAY 4

DAY 5

DAY 6

DAY 7

For individual countries' reactions and interviews, please check out the specific country thread.

Make sure to also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch and our new TikTok account for all of the latest behind the scenes and reaction from Turin!

>>> Click HERE for the Eurovision 2022 rehearsal schedule <<<

Last edited:

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
Well the stage does look like the way she designed it, but isn't functional.

According to Danish media, EBU said that the issue is the slow speed the sun moved at - which is something they should've figured out long before imo.

sis u reading Danish media? :eek:

Zeus

Still don't really get why they shouldn't already try to use the LED-side of the sun. I mean, for all the countries that uses them, it's pretty important to already start rehearse with them, look for the right camera angles with the LED-screen in it..

crashworld

Veteran
Well the stage does look like the way she designed it, but isn't functional.

According to Danish media, EBU said that the issue is the slow speed the sun moved at - which is something they should've figured out long before imo.

Weel according to DR the producers realized the sun takes way too long to turn to be able to move in the 40 seconds between each performance, so they decided to keep the sun in the same configuration for all 40 acts in order to "mantain fairness"
That goes along with the previous reports that they decided to keep the sun static for the performances, but to move it for interval acts, the voting and other tuff.
They decided to keep the arches in the light side, rather than the LED side, because it is much easier for delegations that planned to use the LEDs to readapt for the lights than the opposite, as new LED content would have to be created for the arches.

Wow, if this is true, then I really think it's super unfair for the delegations who have chosen to use the LED screen on the kinetic sun primarily for their performances. I am surprised they have never thought of the functionality of it when they designed or built it? Surely, mechanism and such would have been taken into consideration when they designed or built it?

DanielLuis

Still don't really get why they shouldn't already try to use the LED-side of the sun. I mean, for all the countries that uses them, it's pretty important to already start rehearse with them, look for the right camera angles with the LED-screen in it..
As I said in the previous post it seems there won't be time to move the arches in between performances so they have to stick with the same side for all entries. If so, no country will use the LED side of the sun, every country will have to use the light side.

My idea for fixing LED on the sun throughout all 40 performances, so that it doesn't stay black and everbyody competes fairly under same conditions

baby-sun-teletubbies.gif

The bonus is that it is also in Ukrainian colours and national motives 🇺🇦🌻 so EBU can still express their political neutrality "neutrally" without offending their pro-Russian sponsors. 😁

There, all problems solved by one move. 🤣

Ajeje Brazorf

Weel according to DR the producers realized the sun takes way too long to turn to be able to move in the 40 seconds between each performance, so they decided to keep the sun in the same configuration for all 40 acts in order to "mantain fairness"
That goes along with the previous reports that they decided to keep the sun static for the performances, but to move it for interval acts, the voting and other tuff.
They decided to keep the arches in the light side, rather than the LED side, because it is much easier for delegations that planned to use the LEDs to readapt for the lights than the opposite, as new LED content would have to be created for the arches.

Guys I read something in the last days that you may find interesting. This year probably we will have more than 40 seconds between two acts, because apparently all the acts will be presented like in Sanremo. They will present them by name, title of the song and maybe even composers + the postcards. When I first read this news I found it unusual, but then the engine problem news came out and I started thinking: what if they are doing all this to have more seconds between two performances to switch the stage between the performances? We don't really know how many seconds he takes to turn. If it's a minute and not 40 seconds, I think all will be fine. Maybe they knew of that issue way before We knew it.

Mainshow

Veteran
I completly agree. I don't understand many things.
All that economic afford only for interval acts, voting and other small things does not make sense
I just think it´s utterly sad because the stage concept has been the best one in years - I will wait and judge the performances (I still think that they will look great on TV and casual viewers - like friends and family - won´t even notice that the "dead sun wasn´t intentional") but it´s overshadowing all the other components of the stage at the moment.

Btw, @nudiecrudi pls don´t forget to vote in the Grand Final of ESCunitedVision (check your inbox).

----------------

Maybe the producers should have "re-arranged" the draw so that we could have witnessed all performances without LEDs before getting a short break (in which the kinetic sun would have been able to move/turn around) and get all LEDs-led performances afterwards? :D

Mainshow

Veteran
Guys I read something in the last days that you may find interesting. This year probably we will have more than 40 seconds between two acts, because apparently all the acts will be presented like in Sanremo. They will present them by name, title of the song and maybe even composers + the postcards. When I first read this news I found it unusual, but then the engine problem news came out and I started thinking: what if they are doing all this to have more seconds between two performances to switch the stage between the performances? We don't really know how many seconds he takes to turn. If it's a minute and not 40 seconds, I think all will be fine. Maybe they knew of that issue way before We knew it.

I don´t think that´s likely to happen. - We have more than 1 minute "left" before moving from one rehearsal to another one - if that´s the issue, they clearly would have allowed the artists to perform their original staging/performances/ideas on stage, imo.

DanielLuis

Yeah for this first rehearsal, not for the actual liveshows right?
According to the DR article it seems like it will be the definitive solution, even for the live shows.
We'll see if something changes in the second rehearsals, but I doubt it at this point. It's just so weird that the EBU/RAI haven't made any public statement about it yet.

FilipFromSweden

wtf just turn the sun around and create new LED graphics content if necessary then? That more money or effort would have to be used is not an excuse when the error is on them. I know they have 7 days, also every year there are multiple graphical backdrops as alternatives that doesn’t get used.

popavapeur

I just think it´s utterly sad because the stage concept has been the best one in years - I will wait and judge the performances (I still think that they will look great on TV and casual viewers - like friends and family - won´t even notice that the "dead sun wasn´t intentional") but it´s overshadowing all the other components of the stage at the moment.

Btw, @nudiecrudi pls don´t forget to vote in the Grand Final of ESCunitedVision (check your inbox).

----------------

Maybe the producers should have "re-arranged" the draw so that we could have witnessed all performances without LEDs before getting a short break (in which the kinetic sun would have been able to move/turn around) and get all LEDs-led performances afterwards? :D
I did think about it

like first half is lights countries and second half is LED countries. It's so stupid and unusual but i'll take that over anything else tbh
It surely won't be fair as far as the running order but hey... (some could say that's way more fair than the actual running order producing we have)

GermanBango

All of this seems … weird to me. Wouldn’t it make more sense to put the LED side up and just switch it off for countries who didn’t plan on using it? You know, instead of forcing the others to deal with that black butthole sun blocking the screen.
I am sure that it will look pleasant in the end either way but all of this paired with a) the secrecy and b) the complete lack of communication just doesn’t give off a very sovereign vibe.

stuartmcd

All of this seems … weird to me. Wouldn’t it make more sense to put the LED side up and just switch it off for countries who didn’t plan on using it? You know, instead of forcing the others to deal with that black butthole sun blocking the screen.
I am sure that it will look pleasant in the end either way but all of this paired with a) the secrecy and b) the complete lack of communication just doesn’t give off a very sovereign vibe.

I guess the problem is that the countries not using the LED side are using the other side for the lights. So it’s not just that they aren’t using the LEDs and having the black sun behind them. They have planned to use the lights that are on that side of it.

crashworld

Veteran
Eurovoix has reposted what the Danish media has said.

Basically, if you are the delegation that chose to use the LED side of the kinetic sun, you are screwed if you don't make changes to your original staging plan. And they are only informed 3 days before first rehearsals to make alternative staging plans. I can totally understand why some delegations are not happy about it, and that is an understatement.

So all these talk about the one of the motors burst due to water seepage from the fountain and caused the kinetic sun to be faulty is not true?

And I guess the people who have designed or built the kinetic have either forgotten or not informed to take into consideration the part that the stage crew only have less than 1 minute to have the stage ready in between acts.

This is truly embarrassing and disappointing at the same time.

Source:

Last edited:
Top Bottom