• Total voters

escYOUnited

Administrator

flag-800.png

Стефанія мамо мамо Стефанія
Розквітає поле, а вона сивіє
Заспівай мені мамо колискову
Хочу ще почути твоє рідне слово

Вона мене колисала дала мені ритм і напевне силу волі не забрати в мене, бо дала вона
Напевне знала може більше і від Соломона
Ламаними дорогами прийду я завжди до тебе
Вона не розбудить, не будить, мене в сильні бурі
Забере в бабулі дві дулі, ніби вони кулі
Дуже добре знала мене не була обманута, як була дуже втомлена, гойдала мене в такт
Люлі люлі люлі...

Я не в пеленах но ма но ма, хватить, як би я не виріс на виріст за речі платить
Я не мала дитина, вона далі нерви тратить, я гуляв, шляк би тебе трафив
Ти все молода о мамо на піку, якщо не ціню опіку на піку слави мені в тупику
Забивайте піку цю піку, я би попік спік, своєю любов'ю
Люлі люлі люлі...

Хочу ще почути твоє рідне слово​

Last edited by a moderator:

Mainshow

Veteran

Krishoes

Ukraine being #6 in the running order is quite unprofessional, imo.
In an "ordinary" and peaceful year, it might have made sense but I´m really shocked that the executive producers didn´t take the on-going war and difficult "participation" into account.
Everyone following after Ukraine will be overshadowed since I expected people to emotionally react to the Ukrainian performance this year (I´m not levelling criticism at evoking emotions or Ukraine taking part!).
Personally, I´d have preferred Ukraine to even open the semi final (after the presenters somehow commenting on the situation) or being the last performer before the break so that there´s some room for the viewers "to rest/breathe" before encountering other participants/songs.
Putting Ukraine in the "middle" of the running order and treating it, as it should be, as other competing nations, is unprofessional because the following entries risk to be "overshadowed" and the right alternative would be to place it right at the opening after a speech only about them made by the presenters or right at the end to close the show and being the last to perform? Well... :unsure:

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Ukraine being #6 in the running order is quite unprofessional, imo.
In an "ordinary" and peaceful year, it might have made sense but I´m really shocked that the executive producers didn´t take the on-going war and difficult "participation" into account.
Everyone following after Ukraine will be overshadowed since I expected people to emotionally react to the Ukrainian performance this year (I´m not levelling criticism at evoking emotions or Ukraine taking part!).
Personally, I´d have preferred Ukraine to even open the semi final (after the presenters somehow commenting on the situation) or being the last performer before the break so that there´s some room for the viewers "to rest/breathe" before encountering other participants/songs.

I'm a bit confused by this, you don't want them to be put in the midst of other entries or before others not to evoke some sort of "emotions" but you want them to open it and thus set the tone for the whole contest (hypothetically)? It kinda contradicts itself.

I think Ukraine should be fairly treated as everyone else (of course with given the circumstances they might not be able to perform live which obviously has to be taken into consideration), so I think to "undramatize" it all it is fine with the placing they got.

With that said, I do think that the hosts need to in some way adress what is happening, I hope EBU won't stay silent. I think a moment of silence or even having parts (or full) televoting funds go to Ukraine would be a nice gesture.

hzalfa

.... You think they can win with the vidbir performance ?
They can obviously win the televote because of the emotional reaction their participation will get from the audience, but even if the juries had no bias against this type of music, the vocals in the Vidbir performance weren't good enough to get jury support (I'm talking about the chorus, not the rap parts)

A-lister

Veteran
.... You think they can win with the vidbir performance ?

I highly doubt it, I do hope for some miracle and that the guys will be able to be there live, I really think it is important for Ukraine to be seen and use this opportunity of a major international platform.

The Vidbir performance won't have the same impact (plus shallowly speaking, it was a bit chaotic and disoriented and also Ukraine will have a disadvantage with having to compete with just a local scene).

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Just earlier today Muzvar posted that Kalush already filmed live-on-tape video. Also Kalush really want to get to Turin.

Oh! And one would think that the deputy director of RAI1 would be informed about such stuff before going public with other statements... a bit unprofessional from the Italian production side and misleading for the public.

Mainshow

Veteran
I don´t think that my statement is "contradicting itself" - What I was trying to say:
The executive producers should have taken into account that this year´s participation of Ukraine in the contest is very special due to the invasion. In theory, it´s "alright to treat Ukraine as every other country" regarding the running order but personally, I think that giving them "the advantage" of either opening the semi or performing just before the break would be more "professional" because Eurovision viewers will clearly have their eyes on Ukraine this year. Letting them performing first would enable the presenters to address the on-going war in a few words/phrases (as @A-lister also wished for) - of course, letting Ukraine perform first would set the tone for the next participants but it can also lead to a cognitive and emotional "relief" for the viewers because from that moment on, they can "focus" on the other participants without having to think "I´m so keen on Ukraine this evening. Will they perform? How will they perform? The performers must be struggling etc" (which is something some viewers might think throughout the performers before Ukraine actually hits the stage).
Letting them perform before the break, gives the casual viewers the chance to elaborate/comment/process the performance. I do think that people will talk about Ukraine in Eurovision more after their performance than other countries or at least, they may implicitly think about it and thus, giving the viewers a break for like 3 minutes before we continue with the other performers is more "professional" in my opinion because viewers will have a short moment to emotionally react to Ukraine´s participation and they will be given more time "to get a clear mind" for other performances.

Seeing Ukraine being sandwhiched in the first half - feels wrong to me - because - and that´s my theory - people will be looking for Ukraine´s participation/performance the most (not really for the song or performance itself but for the sake of "participation" under these circumstances).

Also, I didn´t demand "a speech" - just a few words from the hosts like "it´s so great to be here united/together despite what´s been going on and now it´s time for the first participant... and we are so glad that they are here with us tonight.."

Maybe I´m wrong and I overestimate how viewers will anticipate/reflect/elaborate on Ukraine´s participation that evening but I really think it would be "more of an advantage" for other participants if Ukraine performed before the break.
I just imagined how I would be stitting in the living room with my family, some friends (who don´t follow the contest as we do and hear the songs for the first time during the live shows) and I´m 100% sure that they will comment on Ukraine even throughout the start of the next performance and I will be questioned IF/when they will perform.

Last edited:

Mainshow

Veteran
Oh! And one would think that the deputy director of RAI1 would be informed about such stuff before going public with other statements... a bit unprofessional from the Italian production side and misleading for the public.
This - it´s so strange to make such comments on Ukraine being allowed to make use of the Vidbir performance yesterday at a time when Ukraine successfully managed to pull it off and recorded a live-on-tape video.

But kudos to the band, the broadcaster and everyone involved for making this possible!

A-lister

Veteran
I don´t think that my statement is "contradicting itself" - What I was trying to say:
The executive producers should have taken into account that this year´s participation of Ukraine in the contest is very special due to the invasion. In theory, it´s "alright to treat Ukraine as every other country" regarding the running order but personally, I think that giving them "the advantage" of either opening the semi or performing just before the break would be more "professional" because Eurovision viewers will clearly have their eyes on Ukraine this year. Letting them performing first would enable the presenters to address the on-going war in a few words/phrases (as @A-lister also wished for) - of course, letting Ukraine perform first would set the tone for the next participants but it can also lead to a cognitive and emotional "relief" for the viewers because from that moment on, they can "focus" on the other participants without having to think "I´m so keen on Ukraine this evening. Will they perform? How will they perform? The performers must be struggling etc" (which is something some viewers might think throughout the performers before Ukraine actually hits the stage).
Letting them perform before the break, gives the casual viewers the chance to elaborate/comment/process the performance. I do think that people will talk about Ukraine in Eurovision more after their performance than other countries or at least, they may implicitly think about it and thus, giving the viewers a break for like 3 minutes before we continue with the other performers is more "professional" in my opinion because viewers will have a short moment to emotionally react to Ukraine´s participation and they will be given more time "to get a clear mind" for other performances.

Seeing Ukraine being sandwhiched in the first half - feels wrong to me - because - and that´s my theory - people will be looking for Ukraine´s participation/performance the most (not really for the song or performance itself but for the sake of "participation" under these circumstances).

Also, I didn´t demand "a speech" - just a few words from the hosts like "it´s so great to be here united/together despite what´s been going on and now it´s time for the first participant... and we are so glad that they are here with us tonight.."

Maybe I´m wrong and I overestimate how viewers will anticipate/reflect/elaborate on Ukraine´s participation that evening but I really think it would be "more of an advantage" for other participants if Ukraine performed before the break.
I just imagined how I would be stitting in the living room with my family, some friends (who don´t follow the contest as we do and hear the songs for the first time during the live shows) and I´m 100% sure that they will comment on Ukraine even throughout the start of the next performance and I will be questioned IF/when they will perform.

I think I understand you a bit better now, I first thought you didn't want it to set any tone and as you said "overshadow" the contest but in a sense you are proposing it to still somehow have a special spot in the contest.

Well, it's tricky, but I still think it's ok with the starting order. I think it's important that EBU will adress it during the show, but if it's done in connection to the entry then the entry itself will be treated differently and here is where I think it shouldn't, if that makes sense?

russia's invasion of Ukraine should be mentioned, but let the entry run on its own though, I think it's just fair to Kalush and the other contestants.

dany rose

Well,
I don't believe any of the hypotheses expressed so far concerning "it would be better if..." rather than "they should change the odine so that...". "etc., the average audience in the ESC is more intelligent and less swayed than what is thought here.
And I firmly believe that the problem belongs to those who raise it as a matter of mere personal taste rather than an apparent reasoning on how to manage the ESC at this historical moment.

akoz

Well, I think itallians overreacted to news about Lviv bombing (city where Kalush planned to shoot video). Like if your only safe city is under attacks and you can't shoot video, don't filmed it at all.
But west of Ukraine is still pretty save, Lviv was hitted only 3 times since the begging of war. We have air defence alarms several times per day but people are doing their jobs, almost everything is working and If your job right now as a broadcaster is to make a video for Eurovision I bet they will do everything they can to do this.

Mainshow

Veteran
I think I understand you a bit better now, I first thought you didn't want it to set any tone and as you said "overshadow" the contest but in a sense you are proposing it to still somehow have a special spot in the contest.

Well, it's tricky, but I still think it's ok with the starting order. I think it's important that EBU will adress it during the show, but if it's done in connection to the entry then the entry itself will be treated differently and here is where I think it shouldn't, if that makes sense?

russia's invasion of Ukraine should be mentioned, but let the entry run on its own though, I think it's just fair to Kalush and the other contestants.

I can agree with you on the fact that the comment on the war shouldn´t be directly connected to "Stefania". That´s only fair to all participants and Kalusha (as you´ve already mentioned it).

I just think that the reason for coming up with a running order (instead of a random draw) is that the producers can make each and every entry shine the best way possible and that´s why they shouldn´t place 3 ballads together or 2 rock entries following each other.

I still believe that Ukraine will evoke an emotional response to the viewers this year and thus, a short break would be more fitting and should also be more pleasing for the participants after Kalusha - but that´s just my personal opinion.

A-lister

Veteran
I can agree with you on the fact that the comment on the war shouldn´t be directly connected to "Stefania". That´s only fair to all participants and Kalusha (as you´ve already mentioned it).

I just think that the reason for coming up with a running order (instead of a random draw) is that the producers can make each and every entry shine the best way possible and that´s why they shouldn´t place 3 ballads together or 2 rock entries following each other.

I still believe that Ukraine will evoke an emotional response to the viewers this year and thus, a short break would be more fitting and should also be more pleasing for the participants after Kalusha - but that´s just my personal opinion.

Well I agree that in theory the producers have an opportunity now to create a dynamic show, but we're seeing over and over again it's not the case (for instance if I'm not mistaken, it's already like 4 ballads in a row in semi 2). That's a bit of off-topic, but I still think EBU should introduce a more balanced and transparent allocation of entries with semi-random (picked from tempo/genre pots) and then from those allocated by the producers.

As for evoking emotions, I think Ukraine will leave some impact, especially if they will manage to take part live, but I'm not sure I would go as far and say it will create this emotional cloud making people unable to focus their minds on other entries next to it, if anything it will be that the entry stands out on itself, but that goes for all entries that are standouts but it's inevitable and if some entries are bland and forgettable, it's the fault of those broadcasters choosing such entries in the first place. There will always be entries overshadowing others and leaving an impact.

StephenMuckle

The Vidbir performance can easily be viewed on YouTube so it'll be nothing we haven't seen before. This might impact their chances, even in the televote to some extent.

popavapeur

Call me cynical but I'm wondering if they're gonna say anything at all during the SF. Maybe a short sentence ? but seeing the EBU wanting to have both Russia and Ukraine this year at first (lmao you crazy bitches). I wouldn't be surprised if they minimize it the best they can. That would be a little bit sad but not surprising.

I can imagine something like "Let's gEt tHe PaRty StArtEd...our thoughts are with the people from Ukraine, EUROPE are you ready for the shoOoOoOw ?"

EDIT : even worse, not even mentioning Ukraine but something like "make peace not war, thank you"

Commentators will and should say something though during the postcard.

Romeo

Sorry to piss on anyones parade but in all honesty I don’t think Ukraine will be able to host next year if they win. PooTin is psychotic and I don’t see it viable for Ukraine to host any time soon.

It’s a dark day in Europe when a country cannot even host Eurovision because of a dictator who has invaded a country and committed war crimes.

It’s a fucking joke… not happy

Top Bottom