So far away

I'm not the same, no
I'm not the same, no

Years go by, I tried and tried
My father asked if today I smiled
I said, "Yes I did", but that's a lie
Oh, I always tell those lies

And you run and hide, hide the break inside
Do you realise that the light shines bright?
Through those, oh, who broke inside

I'm not the same, no
I'm not the same, no
I'm not the same, no
I'm not the same, no

'Cause you never want to be a kind of person
You can work it for those ones who cannot word it
Because you've been the kind of person who felt this pain
Yeah, I felt this pain

So you're gonna leave the pain and find another way to make yourself another game
Maybe one for all to play
'Cause it's not just me who's not the same
We are not the same

I'm not the same, no
We are not the same, no
We are not the same, no
We are not the same, no​

Last edited by a moderator:

Preuss

I am also surprised it’s so low. It’s a fantastic song and a fantastic voice! I am thinking about changing my initial 8 points to a 10. Gosh, it’s really incredible why it’s so low.

Tbh, I don't think I've seen Australia get so many positive reactions since... forever xthink Maybe Dami is an exception though

Unless they royally screw up the staging, I don't see it not doing well. For now, my gut is telling me it will do great with the juries and good with the public. Something like Switzerland last year, I'd imagine xthink

aef

I‘m downgrading this from :3: to :0:. I can’t see anything positive, the song is annoying and repetitive a f, I really don’t like his vocal and the staging is also dreadful. Hoping for something better from :au: next year! Juries, you better not push this to the GF!

Mainshow

Veteran
Downgrading this to :4:
I just made my parents listen to this entry and I can't wait until it finally ends. It's really an exhausting struggle to listen to it. Apart from his voice and the middle 8 part,.the song has nothing to offer.

crashworld

Veteran

This is what happens when you know your song is shite and you need to rely on the staging to elevate it.
Seriously, I really hope this songs flops and gives Australia 2nd NQ in a row. I have enough of pretentious shite.

Preuss

I can't wait to see what Sheldon brings to Italy. I know he will do well xcheer

12Pointsgoto.....

TBH, the song gets really old, really fast. The only reason it is in my top 10 is because of sheldons vocals and the dramatic staging. It is like italy for me, I liked in the beginning but it just derailed super fast and got really annoying to listen to, especially with it being played everywhere

Iker

Veteran

This is what happens when you know your song is shite and you need to rely on the staging to elevate it.
Seriously, I really hope this songs flops and gives Australia 2nd NQ in a row. I have enough of pretentious shite.
Australia last year had a song that I really liked but I can get why it was abrasive to many. It was that live-on-tape that killed a possible chance to Q. Otherwise 'Technicolour' was my 3rd favourite entry of Australia at the ESC (behind 2016 & 2019).

This is a dull dirge. And I am one that actually listens to a lot of literally dirg-y music (like doom metal) but 'Not The Same' is just dull to me. And kinda annoying & plastic as well.

Last edited:

escEndre

We did have the pleasure to talk with AMAZING Sheldon Riley from Australia today! He will compete with his song "Not The Same". Check out the interview here!

Follow ESC Norway on YouTube, and subscribe to follow the latest interview's with the Eurovision-artists!

Preuss

So now it's forbidden to elevate your song on stage? Like most entries rely on staging to elevate, are you kidding me? all artists want to do so because you actually have to these days xthink

crashworld

Veteran
So now it's forbidden to elevate your song on stage? Like most entries rely on staging to elevate, are you kidding me? all artists want to do so because you actually have to these days xthink

Don't get me wrong. Of course, it's not forbidden to elevate your song through staging. He can bring in Cirque du Soleil ensemble for all I care. All I'm saying, if a song is strong and good enough, you won't need to rely on your staging. But let's be honest, maybe the less is done for his song, the better it is. It's coming across way too pretentious.

Preuss

Don't get me wrong. Of course, it's not forbidden to elevate your song through staging. He can bring in Cirque du Soleil ensemble for all I care. All I'm saying, if a song is strong and good enough, you won't need to rely on your staging. But let's be honest, maybe the less is done for his song, the better it is. It's coming across way too pretentious.

I'm no music expert, but to my ears and taste, this is definitely one of the better songs this year xthink But that's subjective. Anyway, most songs every year are not strong enough to stand on its own, and will need to do something on the stage to elevate/stand out/improve, no?

crashworld

Veteran
I'm no music expert, but to my ears and taste, this is definitely one of the better songs this year xthink But that's subjective. Anyway, most songs every year are not strong enough to stand on its own, and will need to do something on the stage to elevate/stand out/improve, no?

Then you have proven my point isn't it? That if one's song is not strong enough, one would to need to rely on your staging to improve the chances and elevate the song.

And he said he's planning "something huge on stage". I take it it's going to be some elaborated shite concept, which at this point, I personally feel the less dramatic it is the better as it's at the risk of making the overall package very pretentious.

But of course I could be wrong, but let's just see then.

ESC94

Then you have proven my point isn't it? That if one's song is not strong enough, one would to need to rely on your staging to improve the chances and elevate the song.

And he said he's planning "something huge on stage". I take it it's going to be some elaborated shite concept, which at this point, I personally feel the less dramatic it is the better as it's at the risk of making the overall package very pretentious.

Don´t worry, I share your view. :)

Phoenix

I'm shocked to see this got such a poor reception here! I mean, I dislike it myself, but thought "Well... at least the fandom should like this overly dramatic mess." :3: points for the wind machines, really nice wind machines, beautiful wind machines.

Preuss

No, but when it comes to this entry, you make it sound like it's such a bad thing for a song to be elevated through staging. I mean, Eurovision is not purely a "music" or "song" contest anymore, it hasn't been for ages, but people consistently use this as an argument for why an entry should/should've done better, or worse. It's the same thing with the jury/public voting thing. People are okay with the juries if they vote for their favorites, and then vice versa. You have to do well with both xthink

Last edited:

Mrlazzyjazzy

We have only had two missteps at Eurovison.

Jess and Montaigne.

I get the vibe since Montaigne couldn't compete in 2020 for 2021 SBS just let her do whatever she wanted as they knew she wasn't going to be attending anyway and didn't really matter and felt bad for her. I get the vibe she did everything for 2021 all on her own, with no input from SBS etc.

Jess did have elaborate staging planned, but Sacha screwed up and half of it was scrapped due to not working with the stage when she got there - she also lost her voice by not practising control at her promo performances before the big show.

Apart from that we have done what needed to be done, to get us to qualify.

I don't see this guy not qualifing, besides online communities like here and wiwibloggs the general public's response on youtube etc seems positive.

This song whilst not revolutionary is not the trainwreck that everyone is making out to be lol. Also when will people realize that the staging for Australia Decides and Eurovision will never be the same, the Australian audience for the most part sees Eurovision as an over the top contest with silly staging and they vote for that and big vocals. I have no doubt he will do what needs to be done with the staging, just like Kate did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom