Hey, sing your heart out boy
For all the people great and small
Oh, when all else is lost
The future still remains our own

I hope

The future still remains our own

I hope

aef

This year's Eesti Laul is already way more interesting than previous editions... I really enjoyed Eesti Laul like 5 years ago but then it somehow became a more and more average NF...

I don't get all the shade for Stefan and the comparison to Lover On The Sun... It's a similar style but not more! I really like the song, for me it's miles above the other songs we know so far! Could be a Eurovision top 10 song.

EDIT: Actually it's catchy as hell! xmusic

Last edited:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
:checks notes:

well the upcoming contest is an "Estonia Top 10" year if The Pattern holds up.... xthink

• Like It
Reactions: aef

aef

:checks notes:

well the upcoming contest is an "Estonia Top 10" year if The Pattern holds up.... xthink
True that!

As for Elina, I like the atmosphere of her song but somehow the song isn't going anywhere.. It would still be a decent entry with top 15 potential though

Sahlene's song is way too generic in my opinion

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
So Alabama Watchdog wrote a song, which people overthinking, it was transphobic? They themselves told, that they are not transphobic. What is this world going?
wrote a song with transphobic lyrics, people called them out, they justified it with not only more transphobic excuse but with also fake news, which was already refuted

but yeah where is this world going when asking for respect towards trans folks is now labeled as overthinking 🤷‍♀️

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Sahlene's song is way too generic in my opinion
Anna's song is Maltese. She should have entered MESC because she would have been a massive contender there. I do like that she chose not to though. Shows that she cares about which flag she represents and that shouldn't be taken lightly.

As for her chances in Estonia... well, I like the song and I suspects several of the grannies were charmed by Sahlene's decision to rep Estonia and not Sweden. I don't think the international jury will support it nearly as much, come the finale. She'll place 5th-6th in the finale, at a guess, well behind whoever makes up the superfinal. (at this point Elina, Stefan and Stig)

laululind

We may yet get another contender from semi 4, but as it stands, Elina or Stefan seem like the likeliest winners, with Stig rounding out the top 3. :unsure: As studio versions, I like Stefan best.. it's hardly unique or groundbreaking, but has a nice catchy melody. Elina is quite nice too, if a bit plodding at times. I don't hate Stig, but it's the most generic & boring of the three. Verses are nice but chorus lacks impact. Seeing them all live will be interesting! :D Wonder if Elina will have any stage gimmicks this time around? Good visuals and atmosphere will certainly help.. if they nail the staging, she's got potential! Same with Stefan... hope they don't go too cliché with the western theme. :LOL: Stig will probably have weak vocals, but backing track will help him out. I think this year the competition will be too strong for his song to win tho'. Perhaps we'll get some exciting names for semi 4 tomorrow. :D But even if no more contenders show up, I think Elina or Stefan would both be decent winners with qualifying potential, as long as they don't flop live.

heke1988

wrote a song with transphobic lyrics, people called them out, they justified it with not only more transphobic excuse but with also fake news, which was already refuted

but yeah where is this world going when asking for respect towards trans folks is now labeled as overthinking 🤷‍♀️

Well this is same kind of blame on, like Lordi's "Hard Rock Hallelujah "song in 2006, when some people blame on them Satan's worshipers and what kind of view Lordi would have given for Europe. Some people didn't want Lordi to represent us. Luckily YLE or ESC staff didn't mind those opinions and we won. It was Lordi's lucky, that in 2006 social media wasn't that major role, as it nowadays.

Same as Blind Channel's song "Dark Side" about part "like the 27 club headshot", that Blind Channel's band members fantasize about suicides was bullshit.

People should take song as a song. Nothing more.

Last edited:

laululind

you've no problems with the copycat?
xcookie
Eh, if I had a problem with every song that vaguely sounded like some other song, there'd be very little music left to enjoy. :LOL: As long as there's no proof of actual plagiarism and it's just a "similar vibe" kind of thing, I'm not too bothered. It's not the first and certainly won't be the last Eesti Laul entry to chase some specific trend/style. If he was to actually win, I'm sure there'd be more people bringing up similarities with song X or song Y, but that's hardly new either. Several of our entries have been accused of copying something or other. :LOL: At least he's not trying to copy the previous year's winner.

Kitakaze

Wasn’t sure at first but I’m really liking Remedy. It’s not as ethereal or unique as it could be but a revamp would help amplify that. If anyone can elevate a song with a flawless, enchanting performance it’s Elina but I have my doubts that that’ll be enough for what’s otherwise a rather simple song. So far the best of the bunch though.

Ana Raquel

OM Mod
Staff member
Well this is same kind of blame on, like Lordi's "Hard Rock Hallelujah "song in 2006, when some people blame on them Satan's worshipers and what kind of view Lordi would have given for Europe. Some people didn't want Lordi to represent us. Luckily YLE or ESC staff didn't mind those opinions and we won. It was Lordi's lucky, that in 2006 social media wasn't that major role, as it nowadays.

Same as Blind Channel's song "Dark Side" about part "like the 27 club headshot", that Blind Channel's band members fantasize about suicides was bullshit.

People should take song as a song. Nothing more.
The thing is the song is not just a song. Any piece of media has a kind of discourse, whether that discourse is intentional or not.

Songs from n*zi rock bands are not just songs.
Bolsonaro é norte Bolsonaro é nordeste is not just a song.
Jamala's 1944 is not just a song.
Her's I can't breathe is not just a song.

And even getting out of political lyrics, a song pretty much saying "hi i wanna party and have fun all night" is not just a song. An instrumental song is not just a song. Decisions were made in order to a song to be created and these decisions come up from the subjectivity of the creator (no matter if it's because 'i wanted to make a protest out of this' or 'i just thought they sounded cool together').

And Alabama Watchdog openly said the lyrics from last year were thought due to the former, so sadly it's not that simple. https://wiwibloggs.com/2020/12/12/a...ffend-anyone-and-were-not-transphobic/259486/ // and there is an interview about the subject from even before 2020 (or 2021, i don't remember when EL songs were released last edition): https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...nsgender-children-detransitioning-transphobia

A fun fact: I mainly research narrative construction in media, and when I was doing my post-grad final work, my supervisor told me it's recommended to have some evidence that one's work tries to create the idea that you are suggesting they do. Jamala's case, for example: she said herself that 1944 is about the Tartar and what happened during Stalin's government. > https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36265593.amp <. It's not invented from some esc fan's wild imagination.

Just some academic background :) I'm up for continuing this conversation in private if you want to as i went too political and uh rules are rules :lol:

Last edited:

heke1988

The thing is the song is not just a song. Any piece of media has a kind of discourse, whether that discourse is intentional or not.

Songs from n*zi rock bands are not just songs.
Bolsonaro é norte Bolsonaro é nordeste is not just a song.
Jamala's 1944 is not just a song.
Her's I can't breathe is not just a song.

And even getting out of political lyrics, a song pretty much saying "hi i wanna party and have fun all night" is not just a song. An instrumental song is not just a song. Decisions were made in order to a song to be created and these decisions come up from the subjectivity of the creator (no matter if it's because 'i wanted to make a protest out of this' or 'i just thought they sounded cool together').

And Alabama Watchdog openly said the lyrics from last year were thought due to the former, so sadly it's not that simple. https://wiwibloggs.com/2020/12/12/a...ffend-anyone-and-were-not-transphobic/259486/ // and there is an interview about the subject from even before 2020 (or 2021, i don't remember when EL songs were released last edition): https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...nsgender-children-detransitioning-transphobia

A fun fact: I mainly research narrative construction in media, and when I was doing my post-grad final work, my supervisor told me it's recommended to have some evidence that one's work tries to create the idea that you are suggesting they do. Jamala's case, for example: she said herself that 1944 is about the Tartar and what happened during Stalin's government. > https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36265593.amp <. It's not invented from some esc fan's wild imagination.

Just some academic background :) I'm up for continuing this conversation in private if you want to as i went too political and uh rules are rules :lol:

Well because this not leading nowhere, it is perhaps best, we stop this conversation.;)

njdevils94

Veteran
Respecting trans people shouldn't be a case of politics to "agree", just some good sense and being a good human being

Anyone who wants to get exposure, fame, career, and money from LGBTQIA+ people (and any other minority) but can't do the bare minimum to respect them deserves every single kind of boycott and backlash

they know what they did, they were called out for it and made up some lame excuse that could come from a Bolsonaro supporter spreading fake news on whatsapp. (And i know you followed all the drama on net so idk why you're acting so oblivious but go off i guess)

thank godney they are chanceless

I hope you make the same point about Irama. (y)

Adored on the other forum and people don't seem to care. As far as I know he's never even been interviewed about it.

GianlucaTomoe

Banned
I hope you make the same point about Irama. (y)

Adored on the other forum and people don't seem to care. As far as I know he's never even been interviewed about it.

Hi, I saw you posted in the Estonian thread of the other forum, the list of past Estonian representatives, to see which ones could participate in the 4th heat: I'd like to let you know that you forgot to include Malcolm Lincoln :lol:

BorisBubbles

Veteran
Ariadne – "Shouldn't Be Friends"
Black Velvet – "Sandra"
Dramanda – "Tule minu sisse"
Eleryn Tiit – "Tunnete keel
ELYSA – "Fire"
EMILI J.– "Quicksilver"
Jessica – "My Mom"
Minimal Wind ft. elisabeth tiffany – "What To Make Of This"
Ott Lepland – "Aovalguses"
Púr Múdd & Shira – "Golden Shores"

Shira again? Ott being back despite hosting semi 3? Whatever. ARIADNE xheart

"ELYSA" is what Elisa Kolk calls herself now, btw. Oh and Sven Lõhmus is back *in person* as a member of Black Velvet.

Top Bottom