Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

GRAND FINAL LIVE

DAY 1 - 16 LIVE STREAMS

Last edited by a moderator:

midnightsun

Veteran
It’s not that Malta didn’t do that in past years...

...yet they never managed to win or at least get a good result if there weren’t juries.

It can be.

If it happened to be determined that the money was taxpayer money, that could lead to a finding it was a misuse of public funds. That is what the current probe in Malta is about.

But more generally, it can be a crime if by the laws of the state in question hold it to fall under 'market manipulation'. I don't know whether that could be the case or not in Malta or as regarding Eurovision more generally. I am not a practising lawyer in this field so this is only a general statement.

IMO it is not fraud.

I'm pretty sure Malta doesn't have strict laws as to the online betting nor does it prohibit betting with foreign bookies (CRO does e.g.).

Also I don't think they would have territorial jurisdiction of market manipulation in this case.

Most likely it is undestined spending of public purse and therefore some sort of abuse of authority by the ESC delegation members

MopManMoss

Veteran
As a British & Irish person i'd like to know why both countries are being cowards and refusing to show their live on tape performances this weekend unlike the other 37 participating countries, its so embarrassing

mauve

Veteran
As a British & Irish person i'd like to know why both countries are being cowards and refusing to show their live on tape performances this weekend unlike the other 37 participating countries, its so embarrassing
UK and Ireland don't show it??? :( I would like to know as well why.

Lance Esgard

If those live-on-tapes aren't shown it is quite disappointing given it was meant to be part of a Eurovision Song Celebration.

Just because the UK got nul points in both the televote and jury and Ireland came last in their semi-final doesn't mean those songs are without their fans and that those entries are somehow unworthy of being celebrated.

Those who feel negative towards one or both of those entries will feel that way regardless... not showing the live-on-tapes if they still actually exist only takes something away from those who would enjoy seeing it to some degree.

Lance Esgard

Huh? What's wrong with the "live-on-tape" performances for UK or Ireland?
OK, found the official announcements on the Eurovision official website.

That's pretty poor taste by the artists.
Eurovision.tv has this to say at the bottom of the page with the official explanation:

"Neither the MAPS or Embers Live-on-Tape performance will feature in the Eurovision Song Celebration shows, as both artists want the live performance they delivered in Rotterdam to be the version that people remember. Lesley and James will still feature in the shows."

Oh I see crashworld found it right as I was about to reply. I'll just leave this in case anyone wants to go straight to the wording.

Remisan

I will say an unpopular opinion. Diodato would not have victory in 2020. He is a great singer, but Switzerland had a better song. And even unexpectedly Lithuania, with its last year's song, could press him. Once again - with all due respect to talent. Something is missing.

I love Italian songs, but I honestly think that in recent years the standout winners are only 2015 and 2021. In 2015, the victory was simply stolen. :mad: And this year they tried to steal - if not by votes, then by a scandal. They spoiled the holiday for the guys. xangry

For all my personal love for 2012 and 2018 (my winners), I knew that they would not win. They deserved the top 3 though.
I honestly did not even consider Gabbani and Mahmud as winners. These are good songs, but I didn't feel a winning vibe in them at all. Although I would prefer anyone to Arcade. And I like Gabbani more than Salvador.

(i hate google-translate sometimes - he does not understand impersonal sentences and adds pronouns to his taste)

Last edited:

crashworld

Veteran
If those live-on-tapes aren't shown it is quite disappointing given it was meant to be part of a Eurovision Song Celebration.

Just because the UK got nul points in both the televote and jury and Ireland came last in their semi-final doesn't mean those songs are without their fans and that those entries are somehow unworthy of being celebrated.

Those who feel negative towards one or both of those entries will feel that way regardless... not showing the live-on-tapes if they still actually exist only takes something away from those who would enjoy seeing it to some degree.

I agree. I feel the artists are pretty petty. Makes me wonder if UK and Ireland did well in the contest, will they pull out their 'live-on-tape' performances based on their claims?

ag89

I was thinking about potential change of the voting system just to add a bit more weight to public vote and because there is so much drama around juries. Basically, I used semi final 1 as a test and kept the current jury scores (1 to 12) and ranked televote from 1 to 15/16 pts: basically, every country gets at least a point from the public because I ranked every country from last to first and added points accordingly. This way juries have around 25-30% weight and public around 70%. So, this is what would happened:

bkbbkjnkj.png

Would be cool if somebody could do some of the finals, particularly the ones where public and juries didn't agree on winning entry. This way Croatia would have been eliminated by the public (with the current system Croatia placed 10th with televote). Slovenia would have been placed last with the public.

PS and sf 2

fgfhg.png

Last edited:

Lance Esgard

I will say an unpopular opinion. Diodato would not have victory in 2020. He is a great singer, but Switzerland had a better song. And even unexpectedly Lithuania, with its last year's song, could press him. Once again - with all due respect to talent. Something is missing.

I love Italian songs, but I honestly think that in recent years the standout winners are only 2015 and 2021. In 2015, the victory was simply stolen. :mad: And this year they tried to steal - if not by votes, then by a scandal. They spoiled the holiday for the guys. xangry

For all my personal love for 2012 and 2018 (my winners), I knew that they would not win. They deserved the top 3 though.
I honestly did not even consider Gabbani and Mahmud as winners. These are good songs, but I didn't feel a winning vibe in them at all. Although I would prefer anyone to Arcade. And I like Gabbani more than Salvador.

(i hate google-translate sometimes - he does not understand impersonal sentences and adds pronouns to his taste)
I agree on Mahmood. For Gabbani, I did get a Eurovision winner vibe ... at San Remo. But unlike with Shum, cutting it down to fit the three minute time limit did not work out well (and the staging wasn't good enough).

As for 2020, while Switzerland is my personal winner and he very much might have won last year, I think Iceland might also have won because we saw this year that got a healthy amount of jury support and I think given how Think About Things went viral that it really could have won the televote and had a path to victory.

I think Diodato would have had a strong televote as Italy has steadily had in recent years, even for Non Mi Avete Fatto Niente, but for me the question is where the jury vote would have been.

eurovizian

Huh? What's wrong with the "live-on-tape" performances for UK or Ireland?
OK, found the official announcements on the Eurovision official website.

That's pretty poor taste by the artists.
So... they want their poor live perfomances to be remembered instead? Makes total sense. :giggle:

mauve

Veteran
I strongly disagree... the live on tape performance was too static.

This song needs dancers and more dynamic staging like in the actual contest
I don't think that she needed dancers at all. Additionally, the LED screen was so much more effective, plus as mentioned her dress suited her better. All in all everything was better, I think!

GWTW1939

Destiny is not a good mover. The dancers behind her at Rotterdam looked really awkward because they weren't allowed to move much. They didn't add anything to the performance and only added to the overall weakness of the staging

Top Bottom