Who'd wanna be a king
Pulling too many strings
All that I've done
Oh Lord, I'm done

Gonna take my body down
Right down, down, down to the river​

Last edited by a moderator:

burrito

Either we are going back to organising Krajowe Eliminacje or I'll riot. Internal selection clearly doesn't work in our case and I don't believe it will ever do

lasse braun

ok,ihave a "fivepack" too. xcheer
as already written in the 2021 poland thread,i wish me more acts from the polish indie/alternative scene like the siblings kwiat jabłoni or ralph kaminski!
the siblings remind me to wonderful sebi from slovenia.
ralph has a voice not from this earth!
pola is a personal favorite from me.
xheart

Iker

Veteran
I would like Sarsa, Lanberry (she has tried in the past and got 2nd in our preselection iirc in the past) or Natalia Nykiel next year for my country.

Last edited:

burrito

ohhh Lanberry would be great! If she was willing to go and sing something like "Piątek"/"Only Human" I'm all for it xlove
She wanted to represent us with that exact song a few years back if I remember well.

A-lister

Veteran
I hope you will, I mean you guys didn't even try to qualify... I would understand Romania or Croatia but not Poland who invested zero thought into their performance..

I'm afraid that was TVP's tactic though, treat it half-arsed as a pretext to leave the contest and blame "bad placings".

How were the ratings this year? If good, that might keep them in after all...

Also, I think Poland might stay due to Italy winning (political reasons)... but yeah as of now I'm worried for a withdrawal.

burrito

I'm afraid that was TVP's tactic though, treat it half-arsed as a pretext to leave the contest and blame "bad placings".

How were the ratings this year? If good, that might keep them in after all...

Also, I think Poland might stay due to Italy winning (political reasons)... but yeah as of now I'm worried for a withdrawal.

3,5 millions for the second semi. I haven't found any info on the final tho. Either Sikora or Sierocki said something about the viewing figures during the final, and we all know TVP loves to brag about viewing figures so given the interest in Eurovision in Poland we can consider it okay-ish.

I am conflicted. On the one hand I'd believe that they really are just seeking for an excuse to sign off of the contest. On the other hand, they've literally sent their golden boy. If they wanted to send a bad entry deliberately, why choose the guy they love so much?

My take on this is that they seriously did think that Europe will love Rafał just like they do. Yes, they are that delusional. They like to promote disco polo and other low-effort kind of entertainment for the masses, so that song was just in line with what they usually do. And obviously when we didn't qualify, they took it personally. (The Fire Saga was supposed to be broadcasted following the semi, after The Rafał had his nq they decided to air a different movie instead. I am honestly surprised they did not complain about the result on the national news).

I think that the chance for the withdrawal is like 60/40 at this point. They might make another effort with some internally selected song which won't stand a chance to qualify either because TVP clearly does not understand Eurovision at all, or just seal our fate already and announce our non-participation for the next year and probably many more to come.

In the perfect scenario, they should make Krajowe Eliminacje (or Szansa na Sukces although I wasn't a fan of this weird ass selection process but at least we had some choice) and put at least a small effort into it. They should let us decide who we want to be represented by, like we did in 2016 and which proved good for us. But I don't think it will happen.

rasmuslights

Veteran

do you think this was Alicja's song for Rotterdam since it's in English which usually isn't her language of singing + remme is actually dutch? because if it was it could've finish top 10

A-lister

Veteran
3,5 millions for the second semi. I haven't found any info on the final tho. Either Sikora or Sierocki said something about the viewing figures during the final, and we all know TVP loves to brag about viewing figures so given the interest in Eurovision in Poland we can consider it okay-ish.

I am conflicted. On the one hand I'd believe that they really are just seeking for an excuse to sign off of the contest. On the other hand, they've literally sent their golden boy. If they wanted to send a bad entry deliberately, why choose the guy they love so much?

My take on this is that they seriously did think that Europe will love Rafał just like they do. Yes, they are that delusional. They like to promote disco polo and other low-effort kind of entertainment for the masses, so that song was just in line with what they usually do. And obviously when we didn't qualify, they took it personally. (The Fire Saga was supposed to be broadcasted following the semi, after The Rafał had his nq they decided to air a different movie instead. I am honestly surprised they did not complain about the result on the national news).

I think that the chance for the withdrawal is like 60/40 at this point. They might make another effort with some internally selected song which won't stand a chance to qualify either because TVP clearly does not understand Eurovision at all, or just seal our fate already and announce our non-participation for the next year and probably many more to come.

In the perfect scenario, they should make Krajowe Eliminacje (or Szansa na Sukces although I wasn't a fan of this weird ass selection process but at least we had some choice) and put at least a small effort into it. They should let us decide who we want to be represented by, like we did in 2016 and which proved good for us. But I don't think it will happen.

Hmm, yeah it's hard to predict what they're thinking here.

I don't want another national selection though, as much as they are nice from a democratic point of view, the Polish ones have been dire (no offense).

They need to do a 2014, but question is does a popular act want to go? Or they should pick Alicja and check with good songwriters/composers (not from abroad!), but give them artistic freedom. The problem is that the people in TVP has very bad taste in music and it reflects on the song choices. Imagine Alicja with a song produced by the people behind "Tamagotchi", Poland could end up having one of the coolest entries.

I am also not against Piotr Rubik (as a composer) tbh, it's very Polish and I think TVP would be fine with that, but at least it's nice sounding and I think juries could like it in Eurovision because it's also quite conservative, it could be a bit like a Polish "Voila" moment with the right singer (and I think Alicja could be if she just doesn't over-sing).

burrito

Hmm, yeah it's hard to predict what they're thinking here.

I don't want another national selection though, as much as they are nice from a democratic point of view, the Polish ones have been dire (no offense).

They need to do a 2014, but question is does a popular act want to go? Or they should pick Alicja and check with good songwriters/composers (not from abroad!), but give them artistic freedom. The problem is that the people in TVP has very bad taste in music and it reflects on the song choices. Imagine Alicja with a song produced by the people behind "Tamagotchi", Poland could end up having one of the coolest entries.

I am also not against Piotr Rubik (as a composer) tbh, it's very Polish and I think TVP would be fine with that, but at least it's nice sounding and I think juries could like it in Eurovision because it's also quite conservative, it could be a bit like a Polish "Voila" moment with the right singer (and I think Alicja could be if she just doesn't over-sing).

I agree that we are in desperate need of 2014 all over again. The problem is that, to answer your question about popular acts wanting to go - it does not seem like anyone remotely known in Poland would be interested. The reputation of TVP back in 2014 was a lot better plus Cleo had the advantage of representing us after two years of nonparticipation, so at that moment people had kind of let go of the negative thoughts usually associated with Eurovision here.

I am not saying that we only stand a chance if we sent someone popular (for example, I heard that Barbara Pravi isnt known much in France yet look what she did). I would be all for someone whose career just started or who lacks popularity, only if they could actually sing and have an interesting entry.

But for some reason every time we send someone who can sing, it is a middle of the road, safe and often forgettable ballad (2008, 2009, 2015, 2016, 2017, would-be 2020 - sorry but Empires did nothing for me) If it's not a ballad, then the performance is weak or so so (2011, 2018, 2021) or straight up weird (2010, 2019). It is like we just cannot do both at the same time. So I am not surprised that people might be not willing to take part of our behalf given our glorious history at the contest. Our results are playing a big part on our perception of Eurovision as well. If I was a singer and considering participating, I would probably concerned about the influence of it on my existing or future career too.

That being said, if Alicja will still be willing to go after the treatment she received, I am all for it. Just with something more memorable, please.

A-lister

Veteran
I agree that we are in desperate need of 2014 all over again. The problem is that, to answer your question about popular acts wanting to go - it does not seem like anyone remotely known in Poland would be interested. The reputation of TVP back in 2014 was a lot better plus Cleo had the advantage of representing us after two years of nonparticipation, so at that moment people had kind of let go of the negative thoughts usually associated with Eurovision here.

I am not saying that we only stand a chance if we sent someone popular (for example, I heard that Barbara Pravi isnt known much in France yet look what she did). I would be all for someone whose career just started or who lacks popularity, only if they could actually sing and have an interesting entry.

But for some reason every time we send someone who can sing, it is a middle of the road, safe and often forgettable ballad (2008, 2009, 2015, 2016, 2017, would-be 2020 - sorry but Empires did nothing for me) If it's not a ballad, then the performance is weak or so so (2011, 2018, 2021) or straight up weird (2010, 2019). It is like we just cannot do both at the same time. So I am not surprised that people might be not willing to take part of our behalf given our glorious history at the contest. Our results are playing a big part on our perception of Eurovision as well. If I was a singer and considering participating, I would probably concerned about the influence of it on my existing or future career too.

That being said, if Alicja will still be willing to go after the treatment she received, I am all for it. Just with something more memorable, please.

Agree!

Why I mentioned Alicja is simply due to the fact that, just like you point out as well, TVP will probably struggle to find a more established or popular act to take part (even newer popular acts like Sanah is never going to happen).

I wasn't a big fan of Alicja's song, or frankly anything she released after that, but if paired with the right songwriters and if for a change the Polish delegation would actually put some effort into staging, then it could turn out well because Alicja can definitely sing (she just needs to not over-do it), and she has the looks and all. I honestly think, if TVP even reflects on entering in 2022, they should just call Alicja right away (because again I don't think they will find a better option as things are looking now), and then really put some effort in finding a good song and preferably a Polish product in Polish. They need time and not do it a list minute affair.

Question is, does Alicja want to go? Alot of people were angry she wasn't chosen for 2021, but we still don't have the background here and I feel like people just make up assumptions without really knowing what happened. Maybe Alicja simply doesn't want to go again xshrug

burrito

Question is, does Alicja want to go? Alot of people were angry she wasn't chosen for 2021, but we still don't have the background here and I feel like people just make up assumptions without really knowing what happened. Maybe Alicja simply doesn't want to go again xshrug

She wanted to go. She had a song ready. Apparently more uptempo and radio friendly than Empires was. And she said back in March that she still dreams about going to Eurovision. So I bet that if she will be asked to go in 2022, she probably would be happy to go. But I think that she has a better chance at going to Italy if there is a national selection, because I believe that the public will be willing to help her. TVP obviously wasn't so why would that change next year?

Side note regarding Polish language and I know it might be an unpopular opinion - but I would not be a fan of that. I do not think that the sound of our language would do a song meant to be heard by international public any favours. I'd stick to a fully English song in order to make the message of the song clear to non Polish speakers instead, but I would not complain about some local flavour put into it.

But yeah it is easy to speculate and we cant even be sure if we are going to participate. I guess for now all we can do is wait.

rasmuslights

Veteran
Polish is acutally one of my fave. slavic languages! Alicja's songs in Polish are sooo good - like Gdzies and Pusto just wow.

Top Bottom