Contact us

American Song Contest

Fluke

Don't really see any posts about this here, guess it kinda disappeared among all the other news. Apparently it's finally slated to happen:

I'm really more curious about the entries than the contest itself, especially what the most remote places like Samoa, Guam and the Mariana Islands will send.

Also if they will use the same rules as the ESC regarding the entries, preparation, scoring etc. or anything different? And will the individual entries be decided through different means by separate, local teams, more like the ESC, or all by the same organization as in Turkvision etc.?

And have any artists or local organizers announced their interest in participating so far?

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
Be prepared for a LOTTTT of non-participations the moment word gets out that it takes after something that's a Big Gay Ordeal (TM). Countries take part in Eurovision when they have 1) money + 2) both/either a) a tolerance for a Big Gay Ordeal (TM) and/or b) a need to remind the rest of the continent that they, and their cultural traditions, exist. Many states will fail that test. I could honestly see this being 20 states or fewer.

tomos2019

I am a bit sad they haven't put more into African or Asian contests which I want the most :( but of course I will watch and if there was some sort of song contest involving different parts of Britain I can see myself really getting into that! :LOL:

Lance Esgard

Also if they will use the same rules as the ESC regarding the entries, preparation, scoring etc. or anything different? And will the individual entries be decided through different means by separate, local teams, more like the ESC, or all by the same organization as in Turkvision etc.?
From Eurovision.tv:

"The live Contest consists of three rounds as the acts compete in a series of Qualifying Rounds, followed by Semi-Finals and the ultimate Grand Final"

More details of the proposed format were given by an interview by one of the co-producers of the contest which was described Wiwibloggs.

"Each state will have the right to determine how to select their artist and song for the main contest, be it a statewide final or an internal selection. The main Americavision show would take place in 5 “heats” of 10 states each, competing for 4 spots for the next round. The 20 states that advance will be organized into 2 semi-finals. Five states will qualify for the final from each semi, which means 10 states will battle for the American Song Contest trophy.

The format of the voting will vary as the show progresses. In the heats, they will use a system similar to Melodifestivalen. In the semi-finals and the grand final, however, the voting process will be identical to the one in Eurovision."

This was before a broadcaster was secured so perhaps the format has changed a bit depending on the broadcaster's wishes. One chane that has already been made if that there will be more participants, with Washington D.C. also participating as well as 5 US territories.

Last edited:

hawadharma

OMG I can't wait to see how this plays :ROFLMAO:

A-lister

Veteran
Part of me actually hopes this artificial copy of Eurovision will flop big time. I am not a fan of this idea at all and I think EBU weren't smart to sell the concept to the US actually, the short-term greed could lead to losses for for the Eurovision brand.

Eurovision is already struggling to produce any hits and be a relevant force in music, but at least the public interest is growing, but now USA with their dominance in music and big influential music industry and record labels will just step all over Eurovision. It will be sad to see the winner of this one become a hit in Europe, when we should be focusing on helping our local market to grow instead (and here Eurovision could play a big part with its audience and impact, but instead they're diminishing the Eurovision brand).

Also, this silly thing about gimmicking Eurovision and pretend American states have as much "individual culture" as actual old national states is just disrespectful to Europe as a continent, and obviously disrespectful to all of the rest of the countries that belong to the American continent but are forgotten in all of this being that this is solely a US affair. Plus it seems they will make it more as a reality show, which really cheapens the brand alot too.

Also, it would be nice to see Björkman flop tbh!

So here's to me hoping this will flop!

I need to underscore though that this is nothing against the USA or Americans, but I really don't like this concept at all and we should protect the Eurovision brand! #Protectionism

Lance Esgard

I want it to fail because of statements being made that if it succeeded they could be invited to participate in Eurovision. There are great Eurovision fans who are Americans but where the rest of America is ... nope.

It could be argued that we already have the UK and so 'would it really be that much different', but to me the difference is that because America is such a big market and is very corporate, the risk is America's involvement opening the door to American corporate sponsors that entice the EBU to make changes that would be potentially very profitable but at odds with the spirit of Eurovision. I think that risk is present because America overall doesn't understand Eurovision in the way other participants do.

We already have sponsored Red Carpets. It is not impossible that one day we would have sponsored Postcards, to give one example. If prerecorded vocals end up staying then that is already proof that Eurovision can change in a way inconsistent with its spirit as a live contest.

Also, I don't need another contest based on Melodifestavalen to potentially participate in Eurovision and add other voices to committees and the like that want Eurovision to be more like Melodifestavalen and a TV spectacle rather than a contest.

hawadharma

I want it to fail because of statements being made that if it succeeded they could be invited to participate in Eurovision. There are great Eurovision fans who are Americans but where the rest of America is ... nope.

It could be argued that we already have the UK and so 'would it really be that much different', but to me the difference is that because America is such a big market and is very corporate, the risk is America's involvement opening the door to American corporate sponsors that entice the EBU to make changes that would be potentially very profitable but at odds with the spirit of Eurovision. I think that risk is present because America overall doesn't understand Eurovision in the way other participants do.

We already have sponsored Red Carpets. It is not impossible that one day we would have sponsored Postcards, to give one example. If prerecorded vocals end up staying then that is already proof that Eurovision can change in a way inconsistent with its spirit as a live contest.

Also, I don't need another contest based on Melodifestavalen to potentially participate in Eurovision and add other voices to committees and the like that want Eurovision to be more like Melodifestavalen and a TV spectacle rather than a contest.

I agree with all your points above.
America can do their own song contest all they want, but do not associate with Eurovision in any way.

njdevils94

Veteran

Says the Australian whose country has nothing to do with Europe to begin with and were given special privileges to join. :lol:

Sweden are already changing ESC for the worse with pre-recorded backing vocals. Regardless if this succeeds are not the US will be invited to ESC within 5 years I would say. At the end of the day money talks.

For the record I'm not a fan of the US or Australia being in Eurovision. They should be targeting countries in the EBU that want to participate like Kazakhstan for example but clearly they the EBU doesn't see it that way. They were pushing for China to join before the the whole Irish 2018 incident where they were forced to terminate their relationship with them.

A-lister

Veteran

I don't really get the comparison with the UK? They might have left the EU but is a part of Europe and one of the earliest ESC countries, they have their given space in Eurovision, USA on the other hand shouldn't be any way close to this so I agree with the rest you point out here.

I hope EBU really won't start to invite winners of American Song Contest to Eurovision, not even as interval acts.

Lance Esgard

I don't really get the comparison with the UK? They might have left the EU but is a part of Europe and one of the earliest ESC countries, they have their given space in Eurovision, USA on the other hand shouldn't be any way close to this so I agree with the rest you point out here.

I hope EBU really won't start to invite winners of American Song Contest to Eurovision, not even as interval acts.
I have no personal problem with the UK in Eurovision but the comparison was that sometimes people see the broader attitude of the UK (not UK Eurovision fans) as one that doesn't get Eurovision.

I was just trying to distinguish the UK from the US just in case there were people who saw a similarity in their attitudes and saw that as a reason why it wouldn't be so bad for the US to partcipte. I was not expressing my own personal view in that statement.

Last edited:

WhoKnows

Not interested. Who's going to watch a 3 hrs show for 10 songs (probably 4 country and 4 gospel songs) with a ads popping up every 5 minutes?

thank u, next.

You'd be surprised by what people (here? anywhere?) will watch. Especially with some interstate rivalries involved, I actually think this could be a success.

I will not watch if they push their sob stories, which I feel is inevitable.

A-lister

Veteran
I have no personal problem with the UK in Eurovision but the comparison was that sometimes people see the broader attitude of the UK (not UK Eurovision fans) as one that doesn't get Eurovision.

I was just trying to distinguish the UK from the US just in case there were people who saw a similarity in their attitudes and saw that as a reason why it wouldn't be so bad for the US to partcipte. I was not expressing my own personal view in that statement.

Oh ok, I get it...

Well UK's (BBC's) attitude sucks, but that's another story really... they're not the only broadcaster with a bad attitude towards ESC though but as far as country goes, bad attitude or not, UK is a part of this family (yes, they can be a bit of an odd brother, but they're still invited for Christmas :lol:)

USA would be like an outsider debt collector knocking on the door destroying everything just with their presence :lol:

hawadharma

I bet Steve Harvey will host this and make fun of each and every songs.

Top Bottom