El diablo​

Last edited by a moderator:

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
RainyWoods fell in love, he fell in love
He gave his heart to el diablo, el diablo
He gave it up, he gave it up
Because he tells him he’s an angel, he’s an angel! xmusic xmusic xmusic

Well, I'm kind of very much not in love with El Diablo (although it is better than Arcade) but now I don't think I'll mind if it's a surprise winner. Would be hilarious to see the trophy handover.

spinachpie

No offense, I think Elena is very likeable and I find the song quite enjoyable (bar the smurfsounds), certainly one of the better ones this year.

However, there is no need for those single quotes in 'copied'. Just play El Diablo's chorus and then follow with Bad Romance's one. It's literally the same thing, just with a slightly altered ending.

No offence taken I didn't write the song ;)

But the word 'copied' implies it was directly copied from the original you reference. All art is influenced by what has come before. Nothing is original in itself. Whenever cases are brought against plagiarism for songs, they usually fall apart because it's a very hard thing to prove. You can be inspired subconsciously by something that came before, and not even realise.

Katy Perry's Roar sounds very similar to Sara Bareilles' Brave. It doesn't mean it was copied.

Anyway, we don't need to get into this again, I guess. I respect your opinion (y)

harey

I don't like Arcade but I don't get why you are offended by someone giving his opinion on a song? It's kind of boring that everyone should be saying "I love everything, everyone should win!". I mean on this precise forum there are really harsh comments on every song (and more...) but because he won esc he has no right to say "I don't like this one because ut sounds the same as..."?

EscGeek

Veteran
I don't like Arcade but I don't get why you are offended by someone giving his opinion on a song? It's kind of boring that everyone should be saying "I love everything, everyone should win!". I mean on this precise forum there are really harsh comments on every song (and more...) but because he won esc he has no right to say "I don't like this one because ut sounds the same as..."?
As a well known public figure within the bubble, he should be more diplomatic at least until the contest is over.

spinachpie

There is a difference between giving an opinion on a forum, and the current ESC winner, giving a negative opinion to a fellow ESC artist.

Apart from anything, it's disrespectful to the artist. But secondly, it's what he said. He didn't just say he didn't like it. He said he doesn't want her to win and that it's copied. Two insults in one.

It's just common decency to be honest.

Last edited:

stephanos13

2 minuters video of Cyprus performance captured from the stands. Be ware it's only 360p quality.

harey

@spinachpie
"He said he doesn't want her to win and that it's copied. Two insults in one."

There is absolutely no insult in: "To me a song is too similar to XX so it shouldn't win".

apasionata

Super Moderator
Staff member
@spinachpie

There is absolutely no insult in: "To me a song is too similar to XX so it shouldn't win".
Sis you're in the minority. As French you should know what basic 'etiquette' means and how Duncan violated it.

it's not diplomatic and polite by all means to give opinions that are meant to undermine at this moment. After contest - yes. Now - no.

spinachpie

@spinachpie

He said 'one artist sounds too much like xx and that's not right. I don't like it it at all when artists copy others. That's the only person that shouldn't win'.

That is very different to how you phrased it (which would still be a pretty awful thing to say to a fellow ESC artist).

Anyway, her latest rehearsal clip is amazing, so enough of snob comments from Duncan.

harey

Yeah of course I know that it is not the most diplomatic or nice way, but I also think that it's not AS TERRIBLE as everyone state.
Sometimes people have opinion you can or cannot agree to (and I'm talking here about musical opinions, not more serious affairs).

VikingTiger

I think Cyprus is really looking sharp! I love what they are going for on stage! It looks super cool! Elena is great!
Definitely not letting me down.

pepe C

Since Duncan didn't mention any name in that interview and everyone assumes he means Elena, what does that say about your opinion about the Cypriot song?

spinachpie

Since Duncan didn't mention any name in that interview and everyone assumes he means Elena, what does that say about your opinion about the Cypriot song?

He said Zara Larrson, which is what the initial furore was around the Cyprus video. Before Lady Gaga and Rita Ora and Fuego.

Top Bottom