Contact us

Eurovision Confessions

midnightsun

Veteran
Magic of comparison maybe? It's kind of like Finland 2006. No way everyone in 2006 was a hard-rock/metal fan out of sudden, I guess it was so outstanding that people liked it for the sake of being different. It's similar with Italy this year. I don't say that it isn't a great song (it is, fresh or not) but I'm thinking that it will appeal to many because it doesn't blend in.

Lordi was quite a household name within the Metal bubble at the time and I‘ve read that there were huge fan groups around the world who never watched ESC and didn’t care about but just united to all vote for Lordi. I don’t know if they were enough to make them win without the support of the casual ESC audience but I‘m sure they are responsible for a good amount of votes.
If Hard Rock Halleluja was sung by an unknown band and if we had juries back then, Lordi would not have won I think.

I was a Lordi fan at that time but I didn’t like their ESC entry at first - which by the way I didn’t know before the contest (back then I only listend to some songs in advance, not each one). Even as a fan I would not have televoted for this because their live performance wasn’t my kind of thing. (Not so much their costumes but rather the poor vocal quality). 2006 was one of the very few contests I wasn’t able to watch live, I just turned on the tv when the points were given.

And let‘s not forget that Manga came 2nd with a song that slightly falls into Finland‘s category (in Eurovision terms! I know their music style is different for us who are in the rock scene but not for the casual ESC audience).

Brandt

I am totally indifferent when it comes to language of the songs. The song being in English or any language for that matter doesn't affect my opinion on the song, neither in positive nor negative way. The song is the song and that's all.

burrito

Lordi was quite a household name within the Metal bubble at the time and I‘ve read that there were huge fan groups around the world who never watched ESC and didn’t care about but just united to all vote for Lordi. I don’t know if they were enough to make them win without the support of the casual ESC audience but I‘m sure they are responsible for a good amount of votes.
If Hard Rock Halleluja was sung by an unknown band and if we had juries back then, Lordi would not have won I think.

I was a Lordi fan at that time but I didn’t like their ESC entry at first - which by the way I didn’t know before the contest (back then I only listend to some songs in advance, not each one). Even as a fan I would not have televoted for this because their live performance wasn’t my kind of thing. (Not so much their costumes but rather the poor vocal quality). 2006 was one of the very few contests I wasn’t able to watch live, I just turned on the tv when the points were given.

And let‘s not forget that Manga came 2nd with a song that slightly falls into Finland‘s category (in Eurovision terms! I know their music style is different for us who are in the rock scene but not for the casual ESC audience).

I didn't know about this thing with Lordi fans! But I remember the song being at least low-key popular in my country back then, which doesn't happen often with Eurovision entries, so tbh I guess it had some impact on the broader audience anyway. (btw, I didn't like Hard Rock Halleluja either, I still don't, but if the public decides they like something... )

Iker

Veteran
I didn't know about this thing with Lordi fans! But I remember the song being at least low-key popular in my country back then, which doesn't happen often with Eurovision entries, so tbh I guess it had some impact on the broader audience anyway. (btw, I didn't like Hard Rock Halleluja either, I still don't, but if the public decides they like something... )
The quality of entries across the board back then was really mediocre though, in those years there were 10 to 15 awful entries that were often all worse than the worst recent Eurovision entries. Finland was one of the few that did not suck.

Remisan

From 2003 to 2007 (+2011) there was almost nothing interesting for me on Eurovision, Lordi is not my favorite rock, but against the background of many others song in 2006 I liked them.

Iker

Veteran
Thanks for sharing your thoughts :D

I just wanted to understand why does the same fandom that think Zitti e buoni is so good and fresh sees other rock entries in a very negative way. I didn't make it clear, I didn't mean it is cheesy and dated, it's more like I couldn't understand how can the same fans that say rock is "dated", also say Zitti e buoni is fresh and out of this world.

There are more appealing and less appealing entries in every genre and since I'm not into this specific genre it gets difficult to judge which songs is better or worse and that is probably my case here. And well it's all about connection as you said, that's why I have some ballads in my top 15 and others in my bottom places. That's why I'm moved by France and find Spain boring.

I think "Torna a casa" is a masterpiece xlove

Don't kill me for this (disclaimer: I kind of have an aversion for punk rock and rap-rock)

I don't understand how people call fresh to "Zitti e buoni".

:al: 2013: a melodic folk-rock song that might have been cheesy and (I disagree with the following statement but I'm just trying to see both sides) Adrian & Bledar might not have been that charismatic (like what everyone claims about Damiano David) and I often see people saying it is bad because it's repetitive, cheesy, and dated (doesn't :it: 2021 fit very well in this category as well??).

In 2016, we've had some pop-rock songs that were kind of ignored by everyone back then, finishing in the bottom 10 in the final and (the most shocking thing to me) :ge: 2016 was always seen as a non-qualifier, it was always one of the least favorites in the community and at the end, it got to the final thanks to juries. Well, at least that one had some modern/electro elements and they gave us a great stage show.

And in 2021, we now have a punk rock song (a genre that has been dead for ~20 years) and a lot of people call it quality, winner, fresh, innovative, and they are bringing something new to the contest, and I'm like :oops: and I have a weird feeling that it will indeed fight for the trophy :lol:

Each to its own, but I considered :al: 2013 absolutely lame as a rock fan. Italy is much better this year for me. And no, it is not dated at all. If you want something dated than I recommend you rock sounding like this or anything by Marillion. Your average prog rock from the 80s / early 90s sounds dated as fuck now.

Last edited:

tomos2019

From 2003 to 2007 (+2011) there was almost nothing interesting for me on Eurovision, Lordi is not my favorite rock, but against the background of many others song in 2006 I liked them.
Is hating 2011 that unpopular an opinion? I'm actually preferring 1991,2001 and 2011 to 2021 so far, at least in variety if not average quality so much! Plus also I still found Azerbaijan 2011 more bearable than both winners immediately before which I know is unpopular, lol.

Brandt

2016 and 2017 have the most unpredictible winners, at least in my book. I am okay with the first one, but the latter bothers me not because I dislike the song but because of the singer's attitude.

krivac

Only France & Italy should be allowed to send Ballads in their languages. No one wants to listen to Balkan, Albanian, Finnish & Portuguese boring lame outdated ballads

Looren

Veteran
Let's start this ESC season :D !

Balkan ballads should be back, there's a cruel lack of those kind of songs which are the best genre imo

BRING BALKAN BALLADS BACK

Oh and more countries should sing in their language, there's too much English

Brandt

No one wants to listen to Balkan, Albanian, Finnish & Portuguese boring lame outdated ballads
I agree with this a lot (especially on the Balkan part), but I just can't agree with the Finnish part. När jag blundar was such a masterpiece that was mistreated by the Eurofans.

Ajeje Brazorf

Only France & Italy should be allowed to send Ballads in their languages. No one wants to listen to Balkan, Albanian, Finnish & Portuguese boring lame outdated ballads

I actually like Balkan ballads. It seems it's quite an unpopular opinion here too... And as an Italian, I don't want Italy to send ballads, because their lyrics are mostly clichè and uninspired.

Top Bottom