Reach up to heaven
To you

I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
Yeah I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
And I'm still not sure
What you ever saw in me

No, I'm a, I'm a fallen angel
Tryna fly, but I'm not able, so
Just let me go (I'm a, I'm a fallen angel)
'Cause no matter where my heart is
There's no way I'll ever
Reach up to heaven
To you​

Last edited by a moderator:

Franzilein

O hail the music expert, you compared it to songs it doesn't sound remotely like but I guess when you state opinions as "facts" we should all just listen and agree right? xshrug

It all just comes down to whose opinions are worth something in the thread and whose are not... and some people (you included) are self-proclaimed music experts to tell someone what is correct and not. Funny you're doing exactly the same thing you accuse me of over and over again...

Now where did I say I am exactly? Or where did I say something to the likes of “it’s that because it’s that, if you like it or not that’s another question”? Is this reading comprehension failure number 3? I always added "to me", and I always said what I found similar with these songs (the arrangement – where you freaking agreed. DO. YOU. EVEN. READ. AND. EVER. STOP. TWISTING. YOUR. WORDS!?!?).

I mean, you gave me nothing to work with, what am I supposed to do? I don’t know a 00’s boyband (or Westlife which you referenced) song which sounds like Fallen Angel, neither in melody, nor in arrangement. And you gave no clear example either, so what are we left with? Your feelings, great. Let me do the work now for you, since you're not willing to provide anything.

Take this piano cover for example, they’re amazing for breaking down a song.

4/4 time signature, ~ 90 bpm. Typical ballad tempo. Yes, boyband ballads, too.

We’re having the 50’s progression here. Basis is Db, Bbm, Gb, Ab – tonic, relative minor key, subdominant, dominant or I – vi – IV – V. This is the easiest version of the “4 chords structure”, because V is considered to be THE harmonic dissolve to I in Western harmony. Can we conclude it’s a boyband song from this? No, because it’s a phenomenon in a lot of popular songs, Wikipedia even states a list (with sadly no boyband song of the 00’s again, don’t have a Westlife song with this simple structure in mind as well). We’re also in Dur here. Usually these ballads are in Moll.

Melody? Super minimalist, we’re taking baby steps here, small progressions. Many seconds, biggest jump is a perfect fifth if I’m not mistaken – perceived as one of the most pleasant and cleanest intervals (since it’s in line with the V – I chord dissolving), and FA uses them a lot. Small corpus of notes overall. Is this also typical Westlife? I’d say no, they usually want to convey their heartache and rely on more dissonances and bigger intervals for the dramatic effect (My Love involves minor sevenths e.g.) and overall greater/brighter sound.

Also no key change in the bridge as Westlife’s songs like to rely on (they love that dramatic build up, My Love, Mandy, Flying Without Wings, w/e), but in the last chorus (similar to Tusse’s Voices).

I don’t think we need to talk about the vocals and arrangement again. It’s a stretch, but you could say there is some sort of vocal tone matching like boybands need to because of TIX using several layers of his own voice, as someone already mentioned. Might give the impression of a boyband because it brightens the sound. One-man boyband indeed.

So... yeah. Sorry, I don’t see it. If you see it, cool. But it’s that because it’s that and if I disagree, I’m just sensitive and defensive? Lol. At least we talked about your feelings. xblush

A-lister

Veteran
@Franzilein

Maybe if you weren't condescending and didn't play the gaslighting game, then we could talk, but unfortunately you're just projecting on me what you do yourself. You claim that somehow your opinions are valid, or at least "more accurate", but then you throw out examples like Bastille's "Pompeii" and you're further off in comparison than I ever was.

Oh and btw, here is one example... I know you're going to come back and say I'm wrong of course, that "Fallen Angel" have electronic backing beats and isn't sung in boyband harmonies or have a key change... well we can talk technicalities all day long so you can show off your "mathematical music skills", I never claimed it to be identical or anything though so that's obviously a misunderstanding on your part then... but then again you think it sounds similar to "Pompeii" so I rest my case.

A-lister

Veteran
I carefully listened, but I'm sorry I don't hear the resemblance, maybe it's just me.xfacepalm

I doubt anyone in here will even admit they'd hear any resemblance so it's already beyond the point :lol: Anyways, again it's just an example of a song, if I would have said "it's a copy of said song" then obviously it would make sense to showcase what song, but all I'm saying is that I hear early 00's boyband ballad in the melody and composition so it's more a general notion than any particular song.

I just can't hear what you guys hear, yeah the background music and beat is more in the style of those, let's call em "late 00's/early 10's sweet electronic-radio Pop songs" and obviously there are some other differences too, but strip that production away and what you have is a sugary boyband ballad chorus and melody, while those others had more of an indie-Pop vibe and melody too it (which this one doesn't have, i'm a big fan of indie-Pop and the comparisons are simply odd to me if we don't look at the background instrumentation). Anyways, that's what I hear and you guys can hear something different, unlike you I am not putting you on trial for hearing it differently so xshrug

A-lister

Veteran
I'm not putting anyone on trial... But I guess it is definitely the personal hearing of the song.. :unsure:

The general discussion in this forum is what I refer to, maybe not you personally.

Standing trial is practically if someone has been accused of committing a crime and need to leave "evidence" as to why he/she is innocent... apparently here the "crime committed" is that I hear an early 00's boyband ballad in this and have to "prove" why, as if everyone else are judges on music and musical scholars... xshrug (fact check: many artists, songwriters and composers out there don't even use conventional music notes or other "ways to mathematically measure music" when they create their art).

Y'all free to hear what you hear, I don't need evidence from you. This is a discussion board, opinions ought to be free?, music is ultimately a personal experience. I am not "judging" anyone if they don't hear what I hear, but I also can't unhear it if that makes sense?

This really turned out to such a pseudo meta debate that I already lost track of when it started :lol:

Ezio

Veteran
@Franzilein

Maybe if you weren't condescending and didn't play the gaslighting game, then we could talk, but unfortunately you're just projecting on me what you do yourself. You claim that somehow your opinions are valid, or at least "more accurate", but then you throw out examples like Bastille's "Pompeii" and you're further off in comparison than I ever was.

Oh and btw, here is one example... I know you're going to come back and say I'm wrong of course, that "Fallen Angel" have electronic backing beats and isn't sung in boyband harmonies or have a key change... well we can talk technicalities all day long so you can show off your "mathematical music skills", I never claimed it to be identical or anything though so that's obviously a misunderstanding on your part then... but then again you think it sounds similar to "Pompeii" so I rest my case.

Wanna know my secret?

giphy.gif

Franzilein isn't condescending at all, she graciously educated us all and especially you how far off your claims were. Thankfully, you finally conceded to my command and backed up your claim, however, you also disclaimed it yourself, that no one would be gonna agree with you on Westlife. If this is the only proof then your claim was pointless from the get-go. There is no resemblence, except that the main singer owns a sausage and the song is mid tempo and emotive. Maybe you want to compare the band members to the demons in Tix's performance, but that is very disputable. And even if it was proof to someone somewhere, what's the actual problem with Fallen Angel exactly? Why did Tix deserve all this discredit? Coming from a country that garners support and victories for ripped off songs and stagings, that is so rich and arrogant. You raise a red flag because a musician fails to invent music from scratch or what? Guess what, pick another act for this ridiculous stance and lower your demands for your personal pleasure.

And overall, YOU come across condescending, prissy and quite obnoxious; and YOU are upset when you feel personally very attacked when you legitimately are on the defense. This is not the first time you caused a commotion and played foul on everyone involved. I hope it's the last time, so we can all enjoy Eurovision united with #YOU.

I think it's time to concede that feelings are not facts, that opinions are clouded by feelings, and time to move on and let it go.

Last edited:

Elina UA

4/4 time signature, ~ 90 bpm. Typical ballad tempo. Yes, boyband ballads, too.

We’re having the 50’s progression here. Basis is Db, Bbm, Gb, Ab – tonic, relative minor key, subdominant, dominant or I – vi – IV – V. This is the easiest version of the “4 chords structure”, because V is considered to be THE harmonic dissolve to I in Western harmony. Can we conclude it’s a boyband song from this? No, because it’s a phenomenon in a lot of popular songs, Wikipedia even states a list (with sadly no boyband song of the 00’s again, don’t have a Westlife song with this simple structure in mind as well). We’re also in Dur here. Usually these ballads are in Moll.

Melody? Super minimalist, we’re taking baby steps here, small progressions. Many seconds, biggest jump is a perfect fifth if I’m not mistaken – perceived as one of the most pleasant and cleanest intervals (since it’s in line with the V – I chord dissolving), and FA uses them a lot. Small corpus of notes overall. Is this also typical Westlife? I’d say no, they usually want to convey their heartache and rely on more dissonances and bigger intervals for the dramatic effect (My Love involves minor sevenths e.g.) and overall greater/brighter sound.
I didn't understand a thing, but I applauded here.

A-lister

Veteran
Now I realized which song that first came to mind when I heard this, technically not a boyband but from the same era and stylistically similar to those ballads I refer to. The chorus is pretty similar, just change the musical production and add some effect to the vocals and it's melodically in a similar style.

A-lister

Veteran
Wanna know my secret?

giphy.gif

Franzilein isn't condescending at all, she graciously educated us all and especially you how far off your claims were. Thankfully, you finally conceded to my command and backed up your claim, however, you also disclaimed it yourself, that no one would be gonna agree with you on Westlife. If this is the only proof then your claim was pointless from the get-go. There is no resemblence, except that the main singer owns a sausage and the song is mid tempo and emotive. Maybe you want to compare the band members to the demons in Tix's performance, but that is very disputable. And even if it was proof to someone somewhere, what's the actual problem with Fallen Angel exactly? Why did Tix deserve all this discredit? Coming from a country that garners support and victories for ripped off songs and stagings, that is so rich and arrogant. You raise a red flag because a musician fails to invent music from scratch or what? Guess what, pick another act for this ridiculous stance and lower your demands for your personal pleasure.

And overall, YOU come across condescending, prissy and quite obnoxious; and YOU are upset when you feel personally very attacked when you legitimately are on the defense. This is not the first time you caused a commotion and played foul on everyone involved. I hope it's the last time, so we can all enjoy Eurovision united with #YOU.

I think it's time to concede that feelings are not facts, that opinions are clouded by feelings, and time to move on and let it go.

You do realize I didn't back up from anything right? Group mob mentality doesn't work on me sorry boo...

Still think this sounds similar to an early 00's boyband ballad melodically and composition-wise, but with the use of different instrumentation and vocal effects of course (never claimed anything different) so nothing changed really xshrug, and no I don't need to "proof" anything to you or anyone, the fact that I have to is ridiculous for just stating my opinion on a song, i'm not standing trial here, if it's so hard for you and others to understand that you can use a style, genre and/-or era as a reference point then it's really on you and your level of comprehension, not on me. I'm still in awe how comparing a song to a certain style of songs can trigger a bunch of people, y'all it's not personal, you can hear whatever you want when you hear this song, nothing stops you, I mean I've seen really ridiculous comparisons but I am not going to ask you stand trial for how you experience a song... I mean really?

Coming from a country? I don't even like the Swedish entry what-so-ever this year and was critical against it, so if you think it's some sort of neighbor-feud then you're sadly mistaken. Both the Swedish and Norwegian entry are in my bottom this year, they are equally soulless to me. But that's obviously based on my taste...

But there is a difference between personal taste and experience you know that right? If I called the entry cheesy, shallow and soulless, then that's obviously my personal taste (just as when someone claim it to be a masterpiece), but when I compare it to a certain style, it's not really about taste, I know both good and bad songs in a certain genre, it's you and others who gets trigged by the comparison as if a hideous crime was committed.

What are you even on about? I just stated a comment on how the song sounds like to me and all hell broke loose because stans of this song can't take that someone doesn't hear it the way they are, I wouldn't even spend any more time on this entry if it wasn't for all the responses my initial comment got, so if you think I'm in here to mock the entry you really are making up a story to fit your own narrative about me xshrug

I know you personally dislike me for whatever reason and you see this as a good opportunity to ridicule me again, but it would have been nicer if people just accepted that with music we hear different things and have different opinions and we wouldn't even be engaging in this pseudo discussion, but maybe put me on ignore if you have such a loath for me? It would do you good I think so you can read only comments you agree on since different opinions isn't your cup of tea (ignore the fact that it's a discussion board where different opinions should be allowed) xshrug

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran

VikingTiger

Now I realized which song that first came to mind when I heard this, technically not a boyband but from the same era and stylistically similar to those ballads I refer to. The chorus is pretty similar, just change the musical production and add some effect to the vocals and it's melodically in a similar style.

I LOVED that song! One of the best in it's genre at that time... no matter how "sweat" it sounds. I cant hear Fallen Angel in this though... although as I've alread said: I do see similarities between Fallen Angel and boyband music. Because of stylistical similarity.

Ezio

Veteran
I know you personally dislike me for whatever reason and you see this as a good opportunity to ridicule me again, but it would have been nicer if people just accepted that with music we hear different things and have different opinions and we wouldn't even be engaging in this pseudo discussion, but maybe put me on ignore if you have such a loath for me? It would do you good I think so you can read only comments you agree on since different opinions isn't your cup of tea (ignore the fact that it's a discussion board where different opinions should be allowed) xshrug

Stop claiming shit. This is not true. I love you very much, but I can't let you off the hook when you state "objective facts" about a song and then make up the proof for it. If you would just say, you feel that way, everything is perfectly fine. But you keep claiming things, twisting other people's words in their mouths, and doubling down on what is just not defensible.

Here is the base line of your objective claim for you to reconsider:

This song that was voted by the majority of the public to perform at Eurovision cannot be liked because it sounds like a boyband song of 199x/200x.

Most people don't get it and why should it matter?

I would still love the song, even if a boyband had a similar tune.

I also have my genuine feelings about songs off the main stream or outside the fan bubble, but I am not aware that I keep claiming "facts" and stirring the pot on and on. (Maybe I do, so please slap with a large trout in my face or in a place of your choice). Your attitude is just so stand-offish, but what is really on full display is a person full of hurt. And I am really sorry for that.

A-lister

Veteran
I LOVED that song! One of the best in it's genre at that time... no matter how "sweat" it sounds. I cant hear Fallen Angel in this though... although as I've alread said: I do see similarities between Fallen Angel and boyband music. Because of stylistical similarity.

I must have missed this with the other comments being thrown around, so it shows I'm not alone here then. I wonder if the mob will have you stand trial or try to gaslight you as well because you're entering forbidden territory with this :lol:

Yes Gareth's song was pretty cute, I hear some similarities especially in the chorus with FA.

Last edited:

Ezio

Veteran
Because of stylistical similarity.

Fine! So it is style but not substance. I even struggle to reconcile boyband style.

For me the song and the performance are too dramatic and flamboyant to reconcile with boyband style. If we want to look for similarities, why are we looking in the men's department? Couldn't the concept be more feminine and diva-ish?

A-lister

Veteran
Stop claiming shit. This is not true. I love you very much

Ok now you're scaring me for real, we both now this isn't true... :lol:

This song that was voted by the majority of the public to perform at Eurovision cannot be liked because it sounds like a boyband song of 199x/200x.

Most people don't get it and why should it matter?

Did I say people can't like it? I am confused by this comment, you must have misread my responses then. People can like what they want and think what they want, and I'd be happy we agree it applies to all of us #FreeSpeech and #FreeMinds ftw!

I would still love the song, even if a boyband had a similar tune.

That's good for you, there are actually good boyband songs out there too, if people think I used the term as a way to discredit the song they misunderstood my intention. Yes, I said other unflattering opinions on the song, but that's just my taste, the boyband comparison was only a stylistic comparison however (at least that was the purpose until people started screaming for PROOOF!!!! :lol:)

Your attitude is just so stand-offish, but what is really on full display is a person full of hurt. And I am really sorry for that.

I am not sure what you mean by this, maybe if 10 people at the same time jump down your throat for just a simple comparison you made, you have no other choice than to either stand your ground or give in... I guess I'm not a quitter (yes, it's sometimes stupid to be stubborn but I have too much time these days and no life apparently :lol:)

I am not sure if the "full of hurt" is another attempt at sarcasm, if not you are free to PM me about that, if it's sarcasm it's not particularly funny.

Last edited:

A-lister

Veteran
Fine! So it is style but not substance. I even struggle to reconcile boyband style.

I could be wrong, but I think he referred (the same as I did) to the musical style of the song (not the appearance or performance style).

Ezio

Veteran
I am genuinely appalled you took my words for sarcasm because I have been 100% real with you here. But well, apparently you dwell in all that negativity, so please proceed enjoying yourself here. Who am I to take away your toys.

Top Bottom