Contact us

Belarus BELARUS 2021 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Fluke

Apparently the song they chose to send, and got rejected for, hasn't been released (yet), but i listened to "Enjoy Yourself" and i gotta say.... i unironically like this song, musically. It's very catchy and in a genre that's almost never heard in the ESC, i think they could actually have gotten a decent result, at least if it wasn't for the politics in and outside of the song, it's kinda like "Alcohol is Free" but more melodic.

As much as i hate Lukashenko and Putin's politics, i've even had part in some (mostly online) activism against them and frequently have to explain the whole situation to Swedes who don't give a damn about it.... at the same time, some strange part of me almost wants them to send Galazy Zmesta again, and get accepted just to screw all the haters :sneaky:

FilipFromSweden

There was some discussion about the best Eurovision and I wanna share my thoughts

2007: great potential but something was terribly off? I just can't rewatch it, maybe its the super small stage and everything just feels claustrophobic

2008: amazing year, no complaints, hilariously bad green room hosts, a Eurovision with extra everything

2009: another amazing year, felt like the competition grew 10 years in just 1 year, sadly it was a year without any excitement

2010: cozy but not ambitious

2011: ambitious and fun but no real competition

2012: 10/10

2013: 3/10, a bit embarassing for me, everything was too cozy

2014: one of the best top 3's ever, amazing job with hosting

2015: the best top 3 ever, although the hosting was a bit strange, however my fav Eurovision ever, felt like I was wined and dined

2016: best hosting ever, everything was perfect, first one I attended live, an anti-climactic ending

2017: no

2018: yes, but Israel's weak semi-final performance and then a win in the final still upsets me, lowkey chaotic year

2019: another Eurovision in which everything was just perfect, the most energetic and lovebombed Eurovision

ekzuu

I'm glad. Of course it's not ideal situation to DQ entry like that, but the producer and band clearly had bad intentions this year. EBU explained this very well and delicately in their letter. This would have been soo embarrasing, hypocritical and hurtful. I hope someday Belarus will participate again, through legitimate song selection and their entries will represent Belarussian people again!!!

AlekS

Veteran
I will point out the political part.

Fox eating a rabbit - standard propahanda about Ukraine/EU using protesters for their own benefit. "Hey little rabbit, you're just a little boy" - obviously aimed at inexperienced young protesters.

Fox was all happy singing her song until she saw a noose - I don't need to explain.

"We have more important sisters" - sister-countries. So the song is more aimed at Ukraine.

In the end they say that a well-fed chicken is smarter than a rabbit.

Last edited:

Matt

Admin Schmadmin
Staff member

Fox eating a rabbit - standard propahanda about Ukraine/EU using protesters for their own benefit. "Hey little rabbit, you're just a little boy" - obviously aimed at inexperienced young protesters.

Fox was all happy singing her song until she saw a noose - I don't need to explain.

"We have more important sisters" - sister-countries. So the song is more aimed at Ukraine.

I read on Social Media that bunny is also used as a slur towards gay men, need confirmation on that.

Grinch

Such a pity! It could have been a great fable xcrazy

I read on Social Media that bunny is also used as a slur towards gay men, need confirmation on that.

Whoa it gets even better.

vavera4ka

not to my knowledge, unless it's smth new or very niche... (are there any roosters in the text? cause that one is the most popular one)
zajats (or zajchik, zaj, and other derivatives) is a very common term of endearment... can be used in a condescending manner like all terms of endearment, though.
hare is usually associated with cowardice in folklore. to take it even further (idk if it was meant that way, i'm prone to overthinking lol): "hare" in Belarusian is the same word as Russian language uses for coward. Coward in Belarusian is a different word...

Top Bottom