Contact us

Belarus BELARUS 2021 - not taking part

escYOUnited

Administrator
flag-800.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Iker

Veteran
The 2007 grand finale is certainly my favourite, don't you dare disrespect the 00s please.
2008>2007

But 2007 still >>>>>>>> 2006 (if not for Lordi & Silvia Night it would be my least favourite ESC ever since I followed the contest and I started in 2004).

harey

2008>2007

But 2007 still >>>>>>>> 2006 (if not for Lordi & Silvia Night it would be my least favourite ESC ever since I followed the contest and I started in 2004).
I also like 2008 but there's something special to me in 2007, I don't know why.

(I'm also a huge fan of the 70s contests. )

Iker

Veteran
I also like 2008 but there's something special to me in 2007, I don't know why.

(I'm also a huge fan of the 70s contests. )
I enjoyed 2007 too, the winner was great and Verka Serduchka was entertaining. As for the 70s ... I love Marie Myriam winning entry for France, hard to believe but this was your last victory. I regularly sing 'L'oiseau et l'Enfant' in the shower, lol. Such a fantastic melody.

Jopi

I remember watching it as a kid in those times and even then I noticed that 3/4 of entries were crap. And my (good) taste was not yet formed by then. I mean years 2004-2007 were well ... (yuck). I watched it for some trashy entertainment and because of the exciting aspect of various countries competing. Not to mention that the songs were largely very similar to each other, now actually we have more variety unlike what some like to claim and less clown acts.
I absolutely agree with you. And I actually like those years, they are really close to my heart since I was just a kid watching it. But now looking back, it was full of non competitive entries and the majority sounded similar. I think the major turn was between 2009 and 2011 in terms of songs quality and seriousness and than again in 2015 in terms of variety.

hijirio

Veteran
I liked 2007 a lot more, 2008 wasn't such a great year for me, even though the year had one of my alltime fave "Deli".xheart
sis you really like rock, don't ya :D
even though i'm not fond of most of our entries, deli was my fave among the rock ones, and yes i prefer that to manga.

and btw 2007 and 2008 were both amazing, i really can't choose one over another.

tomos2019

There are good and bad in the 00s and 10s for me really (I admit I am probably more a 20th century fan for songs!), I only got into Eurovision on literally the grand final night of 2009 so I only know the 2000s contests because I've gone back and watched them all but I think I like the 2010s more for some winners and 50/50 voting system but 2000s more for the dated factor and historical interest how it started with still just one night and then the ones from 2004-6 are almost like now but not quite!

Iker

Veteran
even though i'm not fond of most of our entries, deli was my fave among the rock ones, and yes i prefer that to manga.

and btw 2007 and 2008 were both amazing, i really can't choose one over another.
I have nostalgic feelings towards 2007 as it reminds me of my childhood but I vividly remember my strong dislike towards multiple entries and being physically exhausted by that neverending cheesefest, lol. Also rewatching the recap from that year recently reassured that notion. There was a lot of bad or trashy entries as well as plenty of tacky stylings / bad choreography in 00s (Belarus 2006 as if the song was not bad enough, yikes). But I sometimes miss the more lighthearted tone of those years and not treating themselves seriously entries that used to be commonplace.

But the 90s were not really better, it seems to me like 80% of songs were some sleep (or maybe rather coma) inducing, dull ballads. But I am yet to listen to even 50% of entries from that time (I was too small to wstch it live) 00s on the other hand were full of average or awful uptempos extremely similar to each other (in vein of Iceland or Sweden 2008 or Sweden 2003, not my cup of tea entirely), lame soft rock entries like Ireland 2004 and full of real trainwrecks on stage (Moldova 2006 even if it was my guilty pleasure, but this was a trainwreck, or Bulgaria 2009, Bosnia & Herzegovina 2005 for instance)

Last edited:

mauve

Veteran

Although I like all kinds of genres, I grew up with rock, so I have a deep affinity to it. But just as in every genre, there are good rock songs and also bad ones. But "Deli" is probably the best rock entry for me in ESC. xlove

DanielLuis

Well I'm not a genZ, I'm a millenial, and I fully suppor the message that the 2000's era of Eurovision was so trashy to the point that the contest was honestly in real trouble of not surviving for more than a decade or two if the direction wasn't changed.

NikolaiMoller

Veteran
2005-2009 were in my opinion the best years ever (especially if you love uptempo, ethnic and fun music)

The entries back then didn't feel polished and generic like the majority of the songs in recent years. You had so many songs you would only hear in Eurovision, which made it more special.

I actually think this year will be the best since 2009, when it comes to trashy uptempo pop songs xheat

Btw, 2005 also had the best Belarussian entry ever xheat ofc it flopped (i was 8yo and cried all night after it NQed xcry)

hijirio

Veteran

Euterpa

Well I'm not a genZ, I'm a millenial, and I fully suppor the message that the 2000's era of Eurovision was so trashy to the point that the contest was honestly in real trouble of not surviving for more than a decade or two if the direction wasn't changed.

+1

I'm another millennial. I started watching in the 90's and hated what Eurovision turned into in the 2000s. I love Eurovision with all my heart and always defended it against anyone who dared to say Eurovision is trashy, still do. 2000s did such a damage to the contest that attitudes of some whole countries that Eurovision is trash are still well and alive twenty years later (UK is the most notable example, but I can also say that Croats absolutely adored Eurovision in the 90's and before that, considered it a must-watch event and a matter of national pride to participate in it - now they have similar comments as the British).

I get irritated when joke entries are justified by "but Eurovision is supposed to be fun! Juries bad!" Like...no. Songs don't have to be jokes to be fun. There are many great fun songs, and juries rewarded many great fun songs. And I absolutely agree, juries saved Eurovision. I don't think we'd have about 40 countries participating each year now if it wasn't for the re-introduction of the jury.

"But...but...we have many generic songs now." Also no. Since when a good pop song equals to "generic"? The term "generic" is way overused in the fandom. At the same time, songs in underrepresented genres are almost automatically given the "awesome" rate, even when they're a weak(er) example of their genre, and almost every song with at least one second of some ethnic sound is automatically "original". Original? Those ethnic sounds exist for at least one hundred years and have been performed in their native countries a million times in a million ways. There's nothing original there. It's all been seen and heard before, just not in Eurovision. And with ethnic + pop formula being applied for the millionth time, it has gotten really really old even in Eurovision.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind ethnic (bops) in Eurovision at all. I'm just a bit tired of an average song with ethnic elements being automatically seen as something extraordinary while some truly good pop entries are being hated/not liked just because they're pop.

Last edited:

harey

In my opinion clean pop songs sung in english are something I could so easily hear all the time on the radio, at the supermarket, etc. There is nothing wrong about that, I like some of them but that's just not what is the more interesting to me when watching nf/esc.

As a French woman living in France, be able to discover music I would never hear on the radio, in so many languages, so many genres, is what I love about eurovision.

You talk about joke acts? Yes, there are some of them but people often call jokes acts what in my mind aren't at all. I often read that fun songs are joke entries, but to me joke entries are when a country send purposely bad songs with minimal effort on them. For example Les fatals picards, it's a band having a fun entry about cliché "France is a romantic country" but it is a joke act? Not in my mind: it's a good and fun song with ridiculous Jean-Paul Gautier outfits but I don't see why it would be sooo bad for esc to watch such songs.

In the 2007 grand finale there was: Unsubstantial blues, Visionary Dream, Leave Me Alone, Song 1, Frauen regieren die Welt, Molitva, Water, Shake It Up Şekerim... But you describe this as "soo much joke entries and now we have so lu h more diversity", like: really? (And one more time I don't deny that there were joke entries, but not as many as people say, and it added a little bit of crazyness, even if I wouldn't neither like the all contest to be only about that.)

That's why I love to see nowadays songs like Shum or Russian woman, it gives me the 00s vibes of "everything is possible".

In 2008, Missä Miehet Ratsastaa and Deli are two of my favourites esc entries evar. 💕

And to me it's not only the songs themselves but also the really strange postcards sometimes etc., it was less polished and of course it doesn't mean that it was always good but the overall package of all that is something more surprising.

Jopi

"But...but...we have many generic songs now." Also no. Since when a good pop song equals to "generic"? The term "generic" is way overused in the fandom. At the same time, songs in underrepresented genres are almost automatically given the "awesome" rate, even when they're a weak(er) example of their genre, and almost every song with at least one second of some ethnic sound is automatically "original". Original? Those ethnic sounds exist for at least one hundred years and have been performed in their native countries a million times in a million ways. There's nothing original there. It's all been seen and heard before, just not in Eurovision. And with ethnic + pop formula being applied for the millionth time, it has gotten really really old even in Eurovision.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind ethnic (bops) in Eurovision at all. I'm just a bit tired of an average song with ethnic elements being automatically seen as something extraordinary while some truly good pop entries are being hated/not liked just because they're pop.

100% agree. Generic and dated are really overused in ESC fandom.
My point is, there are no joke act anymore, there is much more diversity in genres and within genres itself... Tamta's Replay is different to Chingriz's Truth even tho I consider both entries pop etc. Almost every country sends competitive entry (at least for top10), and the trashy songs like Fuego do not even sound that trashy.
Juries did help the contest, but IMO the juries are not doin't the job they are suposed to do in recent years... So.. Don't really like them now lol

Top Bottom