Tell me, is this what you wanted?
Tell me, is this what you wanted?
Amen, amen, yeah
Are you getting what you wanted?
Are you getting what you wanted?
Amen​

Last edited by a moderator:

Slabsson79

The Semi Nr. 2 is pretty tough to predict...as Austria is a neighbour, I wish her a qualification, of course as long Czech Rep qualifies as well. :p btw, M. Dietmann might have torn loyalties, as he´s staging :cz:and:at:in this Semi.

Mainshow

Veteran
My mother was immediately touched and she wants to vote for Austria in May and thinks it has chances to win.
I honestly think it's this year's dark horse.

Love it more and more!

Ezio

Veteran
My mother was immediately touched and she wants to vote for Austria in May and thinks it has chances to win.
I honestly think it's this year's dark horse.

Love it more and more!
If more folks like your mum tune in, there is decent chance for the final. Defo no winner though, lol.

After my first excitement, I am a little bit fazed by how pedestrian it sounds, similarily to our entries of the 80s, 90s and 00s, at least in the beginning. The build-up, middle eight and fade out are amazing, but the first verse is a bit clumsy. It could use a little more polish. Minimalistic AND modest it shouldn't be. But well, I am invested, so what.

midnightsun

Veteran
Vincent will surely qualify, the juries will really help !

Juries are completely overrated in this forum. Why does everyone think they will vote for „quality“ songs with „real music“ and important message?
Yes, it’s what they are supposed to but the reality is different. They will vote for what is high up in the betting odds.
Amen is absolutely not a jury friendly song and I wish I will be wrong because it’s not the typical voters' song either. Keeping my fingers crossed he will attract a bunch of people because he‘d deserve it. It’s a pretty good song!

Ezio

Veteran
Neither Proud nor Nobody but you was high in the betting odds.

mauve

Veteran
I am hoping that Vincent will convince with his voice live ( and regarding his private tragedies he doesn't have to fake it). Of course the first moment excitement calmed down, but I still love this song even though it is a bit generic. I catch myself humming the tune and singing the chorus. xheart

sigi

Austria was never high in the betting odds before the rehearsals. I don't like Amen but it is still better than most of the songs this year. I think this could do very well because of so many dull uptempo songs this year. It is easy to stage a medicore ballad but with an uptempo song you need something special and a very good performer for doing well.

HayashiM

Veteran
I am hoping that Vincent will convince with his voice live ( and regarding his private tragedies he doesn't have to fake it). Of course the first moment excitement calmed down, but I still love this song even though it is a bit generic. I catch myself humming the tune and singing the chorus. xheart

Agreed, it has faded on me a little and my top 3 remains unbothered. I got carried a little with the :12:, now I am torn between :8: and :10:. But I still like the song a lot and think it could be a dark horse :)

theditz83

Veteran
I think I'm one of the few that doesn't really get the almost instant appeal of this one - I heard "Amen... I guess" and my instant reaction was 🙄 xshrug *meh*

It builds nicely, but I enjoyed "Alive" much more for its funky bassline and Vincent's moves (I'm sure he would've lit up the stage last year).

Might do okay, but challenging for the win seems a tall order for me. :5: for effort...

Last edited:

midnightsun

Veteran

NBY wasn’t that low around the time of the semis iirc.

Proud is on a different level, this screams „jury“ all over because it’s about (especially female) empowerment. A subject that is massively important for some years now. And not a song about love and broken hearts and other subjects the juries give a damn about. It was raw and simple and a very sad woman with an incredible voice who was encouraging people. And that‘s the reason why Blackbird for example didn’t make it. That song was purely depressing.
And that’s the reason why Tusse will probably score high with the juries. „Voices“ is basically the female Proud.

As I said, I hope Vincent will do well with the juries. Amen is in my top 10, I hope this year juries will reward quality.

Lindon

What is the difference between the live performance and a tape recording in / for Rotterdam. The stages are hardly comparable. Back-on-Tape is made in Vienna, on a big stage ( I guess the Florian Wieder stage for "Starmania 21" 250 m2 600 headlights, 21 cameras), but in terms of dimensions it is not comparable to Rotterdam. The light and stage concept is to be taken over by Rotterdam, but will be adapted to the smaller stage.

Florian Wieder Starmania stage
It's official.

mauve

Veteran

Buenos outfit will be designed by Michael Cinco.

Quote:

"Michael’s creations have been worn by numerous celebrities, such as Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Mariah Carey, Aishwarya Rai, Nick Jonas, James McAvoy, Jason Derulo, Steve Aoki, Carrie Underwood, Sofia Vergara, Mila Kunis, Kylie Minogue, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Ellie Goulding, Allison Janney, Paloma Faith, Nicole Scherzinger, Fergie Ferguson, Dita Von Teese, Brandy, Ashanti, Chris Brown, Tyra Banks, Naomi Campbell, Jennifer Lopez."

Lindon

Ok, so Austria entry is the coronavirus/lockdown song.

In the music video, it start out in a small room that invokes. A coffin or six under feet. The verse talks about a funeral/ burial but might also refer to the millions who have died. The ‘amen’ sound like a curse and the ‘is this what you wanted’ pointed at god

As it moves along a window open reveals a crow. A marker of death. But also makes the room look like a closet. Signifying self-quarantine. Also depression and suicidal thoughts.

As the room keeps getting bigger it it get brighter. Giving hope to the situation. Endings in a roof top the crow turns in a Phoenix or sarimanok. Meaning hope.

This reminds me of the book of job. doubt on religion and even god is the central theme of that book.

Vincent having loss his daughter, aunt and his cousin being diagnose with cancer. gives more meaning to the song.
I have now thought about your interpretation for a long time and have come to the conclusion that it is largely correct.
I would even go a step further and claim that the content is downright shocking not only for an ESC song but also for a song Vincent sings.
We all know Vincent is very, very religious.
I know he doesn't like the word "religious", but let's face it, he is.
When he won the contest "Musical!" he yelled "I love you! I love you! I love you!" He didn't mean the audience that voted for him or his blonde girlfriend at the time who was sitting in the audience and, in my opinion, was referring it to herself. He meant God.

What was very unusual after the release of AMEN, when the ORF very quickly hurried to emphasize that it is not a Corona song or a church song, but it's about the end of a relationship. The TV boss, otherwise very eloquent, had trouble formulating a statement.

Vincent didn't write the song and I'm not sure if he thought through the context properly or even wanted to think through it. Or he did but will never admit it.

The shocking truth is that the song is an indictment against God because of corona and the many who died.

It's just another funeral to you.
Is this what you wanted?
You didn't even try to save us!

But every delivered interpretation of the song suits Vincent, whether he wants it or not. He quickly emphasizes that the song is not "autobiographical".
The breakup with his blonde girlfriend was very hurtful. I think she kicked him out and he had to go home to his parents flat and he was suicidal at the time.
Then of course the loss of his daughter. They knew for quite some time they would lose her. This pain is unimaginable.

marty

I like the lyrics of the song a lot. they are very simple. thus it is ok that the melody is very simple too. Not many people will think of a broken relationship when listening to this song. I find it quite silly that ORF and Vincent communicate the song in this direction. I hope they will change it.

HayashiM

Veteran
Interesting, from the very first moment I heard this song I consider it to be about a broken relationship. I can try to look at it as a monologue of the singer talking to and being sort of angry at a god, however I have to try really hard. When you assume he's talking to his ex-girlfriend and funerals are just a poetical metaphore of a breakup, it makes perfect sense, and easily so. I don't really understand what are you guys onto.

Yes, there might be a religious theme in the background and there's the word "amen" used, but this is in the first place very clearly a breakup song. If you see some other interpretation, feel free to do so, but I'd just say you see things you just really want to see but that aren't necessarily there.

"It's just another funeral to you.
Is this what you wanted?
You didn't even try to save us!"

-> this is just another breakup to you (=the girlfriend) and you didn't honestly try to fix the relationship, you just moved on

Besides, if this truly is somehow meant as a complaint to a god about corona, ORF could never market it so, they would lose more points than they could ever gain in that way.

mauve

Veteran
Interesting, from the very first moment I heard this song I consider it to be about a broken relationship. I can try to look at it as a monologue of the singer talking to and being sort of angry at a god, however I have to try really hard. When you assume he's talking to his ex-girlfriend and funerals are just a poetical metaphore of a breakup, it makes perfect sense, and easily so. I don't really understand what are you guys onto.

Yes, there might be a religious theme in the background and there's the word "amen" used, but this is in the first place very clearly a breakup song. If you see some other interpretation, feel free to do so, but I'd just say you see things you just really want to see but that aren't necessarily there.

"It's just another funeral to you.
Is this what you wanted?
You didn't even try to save us!"

-> this is just another breakup to you (=the girlfriend) and you didn't honestly try to fix the relationship, you just moved on

Besides, if this truly is somehow meant as a complaint to a god about corona, ORF could never market it so, they would lose more points than they could ever gain in that way.
I read it the same way as you did. "Amen" was on a metaphorical level to me about break-up of a relationship. And I thought the videobrought this across as well. The crow is often connected with death - could be transfered on the corona-crisis yes, but wouldn't make much sense since the crow turns from a black to a colorful crow - like he is freeing himself from the pain of the break-up.

Top Bottom