Sometimes I know my fire burns low
But as long as you're with me I'll never get cold
'Til day and night, 'til darkness and light
I never worry when you're by my side

Oh, feelings change and seasons fade
But nothing will burn us out
Nothing can stop us now

Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light up the room)
Out of the embers
There's a fire burning for you (Yeah, there's a fire burning for you)
I feel the heat here
There's still a chance for us
Down herе in the ashes, yeah, thеre's something growing
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light)

Light up the room
Light up the room

You and me forever, we're free
We're cool under pressure, and that's all we need
So take my hand, and forget the past
We're in this together, there's no looking back

Oh, feelings change and seasons fade
But nothing will burn us out
Nothing can stop us now

Out of the embers
Out of the embers
There's a fire burning for you (Yeah, there's a fire burning for you)
I feel the heat here
There's still a chance for us
Down here in the ashes, yeah, there's something growing
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light)

Light up the room

Out of the embers
Out of the embers
You and I are gonna light up the room (Yeah, you and I gonna light up the room)​

Last edited by a moderator:

Pål Nordahl

I often wonder do other countries have the variation in accent that we do? We can literally tell what each person's nearest city is from hearing them speak here!

We have so many dialects in Norway. If anyone is curious, this hilarious song by a locally famous comedy group sums it up! They’re saying basically the same thing in each verse but in a different dialect, and there’s even one in English so you can understand what the song is about.

Loindici

Veteran
I often wonder do other countries have the variation in accent that we do? We can literally tell what each person's nearest city is from hearing them speak here!

You should NOT ask for my country, I swear :lol:

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I think this is a dignity-keeping-intact, respectable effort from James, and I think it could be a sleeper to get a bit of scoreboard acclaim. It's just far away from my personal tastes & what I enjoy. @JChan hit the nail on the head when he said that a lot of care was clearly taken with this entry. If only care into something I had more interest in listening to.

With the potential fear that I'm grading on a generous curve, I'll give it a :6: when we can vote on it.

Pål Nordahl

Okay, I just had a listen to Embers and I quite like it. It’s a respectable upbeat pop song, with a good beat and a modern feel. Definitely better than some of the entries we’ve had in the competition so far. It doesn’t scream winner or anything to me but it’s the best UK entry for a while and they can be proud of it. Nice job James!

hijirio

Veteran
It’s really good and I appreciate James’ effort to bring something enjoyable. But the thing is, I can appreciate it only by comparing it to the past atrocious UK entries. As it stands alone, I don’t see anyone picking up their phone to vote for this.
Well. Overall a good entry and with a good draw it might stand out.
Best (in fact the only good) Big 5 entry this year

EscGeek

Veteran
It's the same site that leaked his entry last year. The site even remembered that "My Last Breath" was the last song i've played there.xrofl

This song is awesome, i don't know yet where to put it, but it's gonna be higher than your usual entries (not counting the miraculous Electro Velvet ofc). I liked MLB too.

Loindici

Veteran
It's the same site that leaked his entry last year. The site even remembered that "My Last Breath" was the last song i've played there.xrofl

This song is awesome, i don't know yet where to put it, but it's gonna be higher than your usual entries (not counting the miraculous Electro Velvet ofc). I liked MLB too.

Can you tell me what site it is? I'm confused as hell trying to guess :lol:

Loindici

Veteran
It's like a Clean Bandit song! I smiled listening to it! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Since we don't get Blasemafian, we get James!!!

EDIT: I'm still SHOOK IS THIS EVEN 🇬🇧 THAT I KNOW OF!?

Loindici

Veteran
-

Last edited:

Loindici

Veteran
Having three posts in a row is actually forbidden for me but chile anyways we got new information :lol:
Information taken from BBC's article regarding the songwriters:

Composers & Lyricists: James Newman, Conor Blake, Danny Shah, Tom Hollings, Samuel Brennan​

James Newman is a hugely successful BRIT Award-winning and Grammy-nominated songwriter. James won a BRIT for British Single of the Year for Waiting All Night, performed by Rudimental and Ella Eyre. He has also written hit singles Lay It All On Me performed by Rudimental ft Ed Sheeran, Blame performed by Calvin Harris ft. John Newman, and Therapy, performed by Armin Van Buuren and James Newman. Last year James co-wrote My Last Breath with acclaimed British songwriters Ed Drewett, Iain James and Adam Argyle which was the song entered by the UK in last year’s competition before it was postponed. James released his debut EP ‘The Things We Do’ in Summer 2020 and ended the year with another new collaboration with Armin Van Buuren, ‘Slow Lane’

Conor Blake is a Grammy nominated songwriter. His most notable co-writes are with Meduza and Goodboys. He co-wrote the Platinum selling single ‘Lose Control’ for Meduza, Goodboys and Becky Hill and the recent Top 5 single ‘Paradise’ for Meduza featuring Dermot Kennedy. His biggest success came with the 2019 Meduza featuring Goodboys track ‘Piece Of Your Heart’. The song was a huge worldwide hit selling multi-platinum in Austria, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, Italy, Ireland, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Switzerland and the UK.

Danny Shah is a multi platinum songwriter / singer / multi-instrumentalist / producer with releases including 4 UK Number 1s with The Vamps and Kylie Minogue. Danny has also written for David Guetta, Sigala, HRVY, The Him, The Shires, Sam Feldt, Gnash, Sigma, The Vamps, Now United to name a few.

Tom Hollings and Samuel Brennan are writers who have seen their songs surpass over 250 million steams in the last 18 months. They have worked with Melanie C, Zak Abel, and 220Kid amongst many others.

The track’s soaring brass section is provided by Swedish composer/arrangers Mattias Bylund and Magnus Johansson, known for their work with Max Martin and The Weeknd.

-----

Bottom line: We're getting a piece of the good UK music industry!

Last edited:

Trece

Han Hazretleri
Staff member
Thats not bad song, completely not something expected after photos of car etc but when title was announced i guessed it will not be something i expect. So now its just good catchy song. İ have absolutely no idea what they will do on stage with it but its still best UK entry for ages (not like it was hard tbh)

mauve

Veteran
Well, maybe I seem to be the only one saying this, but I liked last year's entry more. This sounds so ... not what I would have imagined under the title "embers". I thought of a more stronger song, but this is just very average to me. 5 pts and disappointed.

theditz83

Veteran
I'm so here for this one! Also it's looking like 11:15 or thereabouts that it'll play on Radio 2 as the YouTube video goes live on the official ESC channel at 11:18 ;)

It's the closest we've come to sending something that you might hear on UK commercial stations at the time of the contest in a long long time - like Sean said, Sigala is probably the closest producer that this sounds like, but it definitely has a more unique sound that is probably to try and make it more Eurovision-friendly. On first listen, it's a yes from me, with the odd raised eyebrow about certain sections but I have a feeling I will finally be proud to celebrate being British this year when Eurovision rolls around.

More thoughts later, but for now it's a solid :8: from me xup

cripesdude

Bit annoyed it’s leaked tbh, taken some of the fun out of it... although maybe I shouldn’t have been online.

Gonna wait for the radio play... will make the morning more exciting... still upbeat from what little I’ve read.

Synergise

I think this is pretty good. Definitely feels representative of the UK music scene. I wish it hit a little harder than it does, and I worry how this is going to be staged and ultimately will fare in a year with so many uptempo entries, but this is an entry I can get behind without feeling embarrassed about being a UK Eurovision fan.

Edweis

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Yep, well maybe for some it's not as obvious as the people from the UK, but you can still tell. In France a good part of the population doesn't really have an accent (mainly the west and center regions) but you can instantly tell if someone is from southeast, south west, north, or east. For eg, I just have to open my mouth for people to be "gurl pls, stop butchering french, thx."

Now onto the song, it's the most radio-friendly track in this year's ESC, but I guess it kinda represents today's UK music scene ? I liked My last breath more, this one doesn't really do anything to me. Competent enough to not be discarded far away in my memory but I don't think it's striking enough to score points in May. A :6: for, positive part but still average.

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
giphy.gif

James Newman, for you have brought us a highly respectable little pop song. The bouncy verses do actually give me some MNEK vibes, although overall I'm getting an uplifting Clean Bandit feel from it all. I'd call this song a McDonald's banger. It's the kind of thing you'd hear as you push open the doors to your favourite fast food establishment, soaking wet from god's torrential downpour. I honestly wasn't expecting it to be this poppy. If last year was a step in the right direction, I'd say that Embers is a further, hopefully more fan-pleasing one, as on paper it's what a lot of us have been craving for a while. Whether the finished result is to your liking or not, it feels like an actual proper effort, and it's a song with a pulse. This sounds like our music and most importantly not the BBC's idea of what a Eurovision song is. I feel this is quite a sizeable success in terms of delivering us something that's representative of our music scene. Good job.

:8: points (same as last year but Embers excites me more for sure). Thank you James for not making me feel embarrassed by our entry for the second year in a row.

Mainshow

Veteran
I'm glad most UK fans are happy about this choice but I honestly heavily dislike it.
I'm so fed up with this generic and bland Clean Bandit, Sigala and so on sound.
It bores me to death, has no replay value and I think it's such a borefest and snoozefest.
I'm pretty sure it will be part of my bottom 5 this year. I'll probably give it a :3: or :2: when the poll is up. Worst British entry since SuRie.

I honestly like his last year's attempt (which would have been bottom 5 in Eurovision but it's closer to what I listen in my free time).

I'd say a mid-table finish is possible if there's some jury support.

Top Bottom